Lost interest in Mr Selfridge

(158 Posts)
PenelopePisstop Sun 03-Feb-13 21:08:23

and the rest of them to be honest. Can't say I like any of the characters and I think the acting is EIT wooden or obvious in an amateur dramatic way.

auldspinster Tue 19-Feb-13 12:45:00

Is it just me or did the mannequins that Henri and Agnes were canoodling around look a bit mordern and plasticy?

limitedperiodonly Tue 19-Feb-13 13:29:45

I didn't look auldspinster. I was too shocked at a gentleman and a lady being in a room with unclothed plastic breasts and manhandling naked arms.

And then Aggie kissed him. Hussy.

katrinefonsmark Tue 19-Feb-13 13:38:16

Henri is in Spiral (Engrenages) on BBC4 every Saturday night. It's excellent and he's excellent in it. I can't believe he's in this too. The Aggie relationship isn't very plausible.

PenelopePisstop Tue 19-Feb-13 22:27:25

The Selfridges daughter (no idea what her name is) looks older than her parents.

ppeatfruit Thu 21-Feb-13 10:43:16

DH and I can't wait for the cheeky girls\naughty nudie girls storyline!!grin

auldspinster Fri 22-Feb-13 13:38:10

Yeah, he was getting up to a bit more than snogging in Spiral last week. I've watched it since it was first shown in 2006 and it just gets better and better.

ppeatfruit Sat 02-Mar-13 17:31:07

C'mon folks it's good for a laugh on Sunday night if nothing else grin

PenelopePisstop Sun 03-Mar-13 08:54:50

OK ppeat I might have a look in again - just for comedy value you understand wink

ppeatfruit Sun 03-Mar-13 09:08:50

Them nudie\cheeky girls'll be fun; he was 70 at the time shock!!!

PenelopePisstop Sun 03-Mar-13 21:50:55

Sorry ppeat I'm struggling with it. I think the big problem for me is that I don't like any of them, I could over look the poor acting, the general cheesiness, the dreadful casting, the lame script. I can't overlook the hideous wigs though, Leylandi couldn't outgrow and overlook them!

Bessie123 Sun 03-Mar-13 22:48:30

I quite like Henri in it wink

ppeatfruit Mon 04-Mar-13 09:11:03

The thing is Penelope they DID wear their hair in that false way (they put 'rats' under their own hair to fluff it out and wore fake pieces). I must admit that Lady Loxley's and Mrs Selfridge's did like full wigs though grin. I do like the pretty girl with the drunkard father who's having an affair with Henri. Also her off- on boyf. Victor who put the knife into Lady L last night.

limitedperiodonly Mon 04-Mar-13 10:34:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

limitedperiodonly Mon 04-Mar-13 10:49:08

Surely, if Selfridge was that guilt-ridden over Miss Bunting he'd have given the journalist a job?

Obviously I feel you should give impecunious journalists any help they need, being one myself.

Fiderer Mon 04-Mar-13 10:58:07

I thought that too about poor Samuel West (very underused, what is he doing in it?)
Also as it's a daft and clumsy revenge plot/storyline with La Love.

The hair is astonishing. Rosalie's is particularly awful. "My darling," soothes Mrs Selfridge, "There's no need to be alarmed. Yes, your hair looks as though it has a past-life of a thousand crusty layers but soon a young man will come and er, remove it"?

Arithmeticulous Mon 04-Mar-13 11:05:16

Pah. Still not feeling the love.

ppeatfruit Mon 04-Mar-13 11:19:30

It was the style then Fiderer Honest!! yes I wondered about Selfridges' negative reaction to the journo limited was it because he knew there was 'something' between him and La Love? I'm getting a bit hmm about it too but is there anything better on at the same time??

limitedperiodonly Mon 04-Mar-13 12:02:49

Dunno ppeatfruit. I just speak out against cruelty to journalists wherever I see it. We experience quite a bit sad

In answer to your last question: Dexter 9pm on Fox. And Michael C Hall wore a Rosalie Selfridge-style wig in the first series when they were trying to pretend he was a teenager in the flashback scenes.

I've been watching Mysteries of Lisbon on Sky Arts. It's easily as shit at Mr Selfridge, just weird shit instead of straightforward shit.

All current costume dramas the world over are shit. The Spanish Grand Hotel was and the French Maison Close too - all Sky Arts stuff they've obviously picked up cheaply and are showing to us poncey, subtitle-reading cosmopolitan types.

I was lured by Romanzo Criminale. Now that was good and counts as a costume drama because it was set in the '70s. It must be the only good thing ever shown on Italian TV. Or Sky Arts.

ppeatfruit Mon 04-Mar-13 12:14:26

Thanks limited doesn't sound too promising sad do you think they're all jumping on the Downton wagon? .

DH was a journo, now a PR man, so I have sympathy for the good journos grin.

limitedperiodonly Mon 04-Mar-13 12:33:01

Grand Hotel would have a huge market in Spanish-speaking countries - I expect they don't need me to tell them that smile

highlandcoo Mon 04-Mar-13 19:09:30

It's nonsense but I'm enjoying it anyway.

Is the actor playing Mr Selfridge extremely short? Did anyone notice that in the scene where he chases the painter/lover out of the store they were never shot standing together? The camera showed one of them after the other - quite strange.

I think the actor playing his accountant-type of assistant has possibly been specially chosen for his lack of inches smile

I have seen better on tv but it does me for that time on a Sunday evening.

RedPencils Mon 04-Mar-13 19:50:24

It's good Sunday night viewing. Read the papers, MN and keep up with the story at the same time.

Think that French fella will turn out to be a wrong un and break Agnes' heart.

ppeatfruit Mon 04-Mar-13 21:06:09

But Agnes has already told ms Ravilious that she likes Henri a lot but not IN love with him, the hussy she's no better than she should be !!

MissMogwi Mon 04-Mar-13 21:16:58

I love it,although it's not a patch on Downton obvs.

Henri is bloody gorgeous, he's going to bog off and leave Agnes up the duff I reckon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now