Lost interest in Mr Selfridge

(158 Posts)
PenelopePisstop Sun 03-Feb-13 21:08:23

and the rest of them to be honest. Can't say I like any of the characters and I think the acting is EIT wooden or obvious in an amateur dramatic way.

LesBOFerables Tue 05-Feb-13 17:48:09

Crying laughing now grin

Oblomov Tue 05-Feb-13 18:03:04

Losing interest too. A coupke of newspaper articles have ripped the show, including all acting, especially Piven's.

limitedperiodonly Wed 06-Feb-13 10:15:24

These are my changes to make it better.

1. Miss Mardle is a gay man who’s having an affair with Henri who’s also gay. They plot to oust Mr Groves, starting with sly comments about his ginger beard;

2. The Spirit of Selfridges is David Beckham who poses in his pants in a window. Front, not that side one you always see;

3. Aggie remains an aspiring window dresser even though she's rubbish as Henri finds it tres amusant to wind up the homophobic Victor;

4. Kitty and the other one are transferred to the ladies’ powder and beauty spot counter where they orangely ambush customers with Selfridges own brand cheap perfume. This causes simmering resentment with Mr Mardle which sometimes boils over into vicious turf wars. Aggie looks on helplessly, eyes brimming with tears;

5. A foul-mouthed celebrity chef is in charge at the restaurant;

6. In a post-Leveson world the knocking shop that is the restaurant is safe. But if the News of the World was still going they’d be toast;

7. Aggie’s dad sues for millions for falling through that clearly lethal glass display cabinet;

8. Mr Selfridge’s elder daughter designs a range of hideous clothes that won’t sell even when reduced to 5 per cent in the sales. Eventually Selfridge gets the put-upon Groves to put them in the Scope bin in the dead of night;

9. Selfridge takes up with an edgy model with bad teeth who makes him look ridiculous. Rose sets up home in Monaco with that artist. The company is in her name for tax purposes. Too late Selfridge realises this is a bad move;

10. Lady Mae buys her next boyfriend from an African orphanage.

Fiderer Mon 11-Feb-13 15:29:45

Bloody annoying, first I couldn't watch it yesterday as the house was full of pests guests, was looking forward to a drinking thread (where were you slackers?)

Then I watched it just now on a work and pest-free afternoon and it's worse than hilarious crap, it's bloody awful. Spoiled my fun <sulk>

ppeatfruit Tue 12-Feb-13 10:14:41

Its written for idiots (Americans) ! good fun though. I missed last week's and haven't got catch up, anyone know what the row was about to cause the car crash?

I LIKE Katherine Kelly in it because she's an ex gaiety girl who's made it and is trying to out gurn the REAL ladies IFYSWIM.

Fiderer Tue 12-Feb-13 10:25:00

She also has hair stuck to her breasts lest we be shocked.

<there's a teaser>
grin

limitedperiodonly Tue 12-Feb-13 10:48:05

It is rubbish but I love it.

ppeatfruit I think he started drinking because of a big row with Rose who'd found out about his latest cheating when Ellen Love turned up at the house. He'd lectured Rose about the painter and she said he was a hypocrite. I think this made him ashamed.

He started drinking at his club and in case none of us noticed the significance, the journalist pointed out that it was NOT LIKE HARRY. Ellen turned up and embarrassed him before going home to try to kill herself. She was saved by the journalist who somehow had the keys to her house.

Selfridge climbed into the car and it went to some kind of cheesy drunk sequence where he swayed at the wheel while remembering being a boy and the awful way his no-good lying, whoring, cussing, whisky-drinking father had hurt his mom.

Then he crashed in a woodland which is kind of rare in Central London.

What I want to know is why they just have a decrepit butler and not any other staff like a cook, ladies' maids, woman who does.

limitedperiodonly Tue 12-Feb-13 10:48:50

Yes the hair stuck to her breasts was hilarious.

ppeatfruit Tue 12-Feb-13 10:56:56

Thanks limited grin Did you notice there seemed to be more staff when he was just coming round at home? (it is not made clear where 'home' is) if LesBOFerables link is correct it's somewhere in Dorset which would explain the woods!!

limitedperiodonly Tue 12-Feb-13 11:07:36

It was a bit crowded by Harry's bed what with the servants we've never seen before and the ghost of Harry's pa grin.

I get the feeling that the house is close to Oxford Street either in Mayfair or Marylebone because Harry walked to the shop before conking out surrounded by the suffragettes.

Aggie is such a drip. And thick too. Henri fancies you, you daft cow, though God knows why.

Fiderer Tue 12-Feb-13 11:32:28

Leclair luvvz Eggie becozz she iz ann in-gen-ooo.

Still think there wasn't enough laughable in it. Too much gloom. Although <brightens> the sight of Victor thrashing around on Lady Mae has some promise.

And I agree with CyclingAssertiveWoman that SmallWorriedMan was inspirational.

limitedperiodonly Tue 12-Feb-13 12:11:02

It did suffer for Harry being in a coma for most of the episode.

Selfridges is like nowhere I've ever worked. When the boss goes away in real life no one ever makes a decision because it is bound to be wrong. They do sometimes sit in his office though.

Re: the drinking game. I'm going to take a drink whenever Victor is where he shouldn't be like on the shop floor or lurking by the doors of the loading bay.

ppeatfruit Tue 12-Feb-13 12:56:29

Oh yes limited I'd forgotten the walk to the shop p'raps the accident took place in Hyde Park then. Groves is like a lot of bosses I've worked for though!

Aggie is pre'y though in't she? Do you think many blokes care about intellectual abilities in a woman when they want to get into her knickers ? grin See M. Selfridge!

wildfig Tue 12-Feb-13 13:06:45

I loved the way that Jeremy Piven wasn't taking the small matter of his character being in a coma as a sign to stop Acting. So much sweaty brow! So many indistinct murmurs! And when he finally came round, it was as if all his Acting had been building up like a mighty river, only to be unleashed in a powerful torrent of blinky eye, rolly eye, shouty voice, blurry vision and TEETH.

No one puts Harry in the coma.

wildfig Tue 12-Feb-13 13:08:37

And double yes to the sticky-backed plastic hair tape. I couldn't work out what Lady Mae reminded me of - until it hit me: she's like one of those Barbie dolls you put in the middle of a sponge cake to make a mermaid, but obvs you have to cover the boobage first with the hair.

limitedperiodonly Tue 12-Feb-13 13:09:43

No one puts Harry in the coma.

I just choked on my omelette

MunchkinsMumof2 Tue 12-Feb-13 16:25:33

grin wildfig I have just snorted!

ErikNorseman Tue 12-Feb-13 21:56:21

Wildfig grin

PenelopePisstop Tue 12-Feb-13 22:17:35

Didn't watch Sunday but thanks to above posts am up to speed on developments. It hasn't improved then :-)

ppeatfruit Wed 13-Feb-13 10:30:19

No penelope but it's a good laugh esp. after the beautifully done but miserable Call The Midwife !!

PenelopePisstop Sun 17-Feb-13 21:06:27

Ripping the ribbon off 'of 'er petticoat' to add the finishing' touch to her jaunty 'at. Eat yer heart out Scarlett O'Hara.

PenelopePisstop Sun 17-Feb-13 21:12:57

Kitty's wig looks like its on back to front

limitedperiodonly Mon 18-Feb-13 10:47:53

It does penelope.

At least I've learned that the other one is called Doris.

Arithmeticulous Mon 18-Feb-13 22:24:02

Really really not sure I can be bothered watching anymore - how can they drag it out for another series?

Davros Tue 19-Feb-13 12:24:44

Deleted the last 4 episodes from TiVo box last night but still checked in here to confirm I shouldn't waste my time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now