Lost interest in Mr Selfridge

(158 Posts)
PenelopePisstop Sun 03-Feb-13 21:08:23

and the rest of them to be honest. Can't say I like any of the characters and I think the acting is EIT wooden or obvious in an amateur dramatic way.

limitedperiodonly Mon 04-Feb-13 17:57:27

Drinking game, fiderer? Any excuse round this house

Fiderer Mon 04-Feb-13 18:01:57

grin Yes, spot the topical reference will be one swig. As will "How high can that hair-do go?"

Further categories welcome...

LesBOFerables Mon 04-Feb-13 18:17:46

I'm in!

limitedperiodonly Mon 04-Feb-13 19:08:20

Did like the way Rose dealt with Ellen even if she wept afterwards.

Watching it on iplayer and drinking

GetOrf Mon 04-Feb-13 19:13:11

I think I have agreed with you limited re Katherine Kelly's terrible leerdammer cheese gurning in lieu of acting.

Yes she might have been to RADA. I bet you twenty pence though that she only got cast in RADA plays as 'strumpet no 2' or 'witch with spasms'

GetOrf Mon 04-Feb-13 19:14:26

I want a nudie pen where the dollybird's clothes fall off sad

Dollybird I think is an even better word than nudie.

limitedperiodonly Mon 04-Feb-13 19:14:49

'Zere iz zo merch to lern, eef yoo reech out end teck eet, Agnes' haw haw he haw.

I will be zober een the morning.

PenelopePisstop Mon 04-Feb-13 19:15:30

Agnes is the worst and I think she's the one we're supposed to be rooting for. The character is so bland and her monotone delivery really grates on me. She reminds of Kathy Burke's Perry "OK Mrs Pa'erson". Her brother being 'umble and ringing his cap.

Katherine Kelly is completely miscast, not at believeable.

Jeremy Piven is so lacking in charisma. As someone up thread said - it was so promising, period drama with shopping, hair, hats - and the bloody gloves! lol.

limitedperiodonly Mon 04-Feb-13 19:17:01

ze merning, obviously.

Oh, she's the Leerdammer cheese one? Pays the rent, so it does Mr Selfridge, you cheeky man, you.

GetOrf Mon 04-Feb-13 19:22:09

lol at ok mrs pa'erson grin

limitedperiodonly Mon 04-Feb-13 19:23:45

I'm sorry but:

Lady Mae: 'I'd like to see your collection of foot muffs'?

I'll be cirrhotic by the end of this.

Fiderer Mon 04-Feb-13 19:40:20

"Theme of the week" is an easy half-bottle swig: "Motoring" - gloves/tick jacket/tick foot muff/splutter/tick

Who's the scary cyclist woman who came in last week with her daringly high skirt? "Lezzer iz good" oozes Leclair on the subject of ladies' Motoring Attire, she was rather reticent though.

Must say I'm enjoying it all much more with this thread.

Fiderer Mon 04-Feb-13 19:42:19

Oh and nul points for any time Harry says "Spirit of Selfridges" but doublez points for any hang-wringingly pouty expressions of "Harrrrrrryyyy"

its his big white teeth grin i can't bare but have to watch it because i like the music. strangely i can't watch the whole thing with at least two wee breaks and their are no bloody advert breaks!!grin

GetOrf Mon 04-Feb-13 19:51:14

Oh shit I am going to have to watch this bilge on catch up in order to join in.

LesBOFerables Mon 04-Feb-13 19:58:10

It will definitely be a camp pleasure with this thread and a bottle of tequila. I expected more of Andrew Davies actually; perhaps he just isn't as good at original scripts as he is at adaptations?

Fiderer Mon 04-Feb-13 20:02:37

Now I'm on GetOrf's Terrible Costume Dramas thread too and it's all getting a bit surreal.
<gin>

GetOrf Mon 04-Feb-13 20:04:17

I am on this and the tabloid headlines thread, and just used the phrase dolly birds over there thinking I was here. grin

limitedperiodonly Mon 04-Feb-13 20:05:18

'Ooh, you brought a spatchcock into me vestibule, Mr Colleano,'

<twists mouth, adjusts bosom>

Meanwhile Aggie looks up that '1001 ways to tie a scarf' vid on YouTube

ImNotDrunkIJustCantType Mon 04-Feb-13 20:07:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Fiderer Mon 04-Feb-13 20:14:56

It's very much "Drama By Numbers".

Agnes and Victor - yes: then she has to work late plus Lady Mae's restless so...
...sheep's eyes at Leclair from her
...spatchcocking at Lady Mae from him.

Meanwhile: snogging Painter multiplied by mistress-dumping by Selfridge equals...

...50 white roses
...drunken driving in car probably named "Spirit of Selfridges"

wildfig Tue 05-Feb-13 10:36:00

You would have to drink every time

* that ye olde London bus rattles past on a street with exactly 5 extras on it
* Harry sweeps down a staircase, followed by three directors clearly struggling not to do jazz hands
* someone says something Plot Significant while someone else listens in, while pulling a 'intrigued' or 'scheming' face
* Rose Selfridge says, 'Maybe it's because I'm American?'
* Harry Selfridge says, 'Maybe it's because I'm a goddamn American!"
* someone says something Ironic, like 'Lipstick! In a shop!' or 'Votes... for women?!' or 'A... store card with 21% APR and complimentary coffee in the Palm Court four times a year?'
* that panning shot of the Duke Street corner of Selfridges is used
* someone marches passionately into a drawing room without being announced
* Harry does his scary 'tiny white teeth in a sea of black beard' chipmunk smile that's meant to make your corset ping off all by itself

Bring on the Dolly Sisters. I am praying that they'll be played by the Cheeky Girls.

MarinaIvy Tue 05-Feb-13 12:22:49

I'm with Fiderer - let's start a drinking game!

It was a spatchcock pigeon, btw...

Ooh, didn't I love how much of an idiot Ellen Love is.

Oh, but the really bad "special effects" to simulate Harry even being in that gorgeous car! Let alone it actually moving! Let alone him being able to drive that thing!

limitedperiodonly Tue 05-Feb-13 12:30:30

Miss Mardle: 'Now get on with your work.'

Aggie: 'I couldn't accept this.'

Anytime any woman sits at a dressing table and brushes just the ends of her hair, not the bird's nest on top.

PenelopePisstop Tue 05-Feb-13 17:30:44

Well next Sunday's episode will be a lot more interesting now we really have got something to watch (out for).

I'll get the wine in :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now