Joint webchat with Conservative and Labour housing minister and shadow housing minister, MONDAY 2 MARCH 1pm x

Wanted Down Under BBC1 9.15am. Watch and tut here.

(1000 Posts)

Hi all. Shiny new thread. smile

annh Mon 11-Feb-13 09:48:52

I feel a bit uncomfortable that their son appears to be acquiring all these skills only because they want to emigrate. Even if it is a positive thing for him, how come they didn't think about all this before? He was 18 when they made the visit, why weren't they already looking into these opportunities for him?

Salbertina Mon 11-Feb-13 09:51:06

To be fair, it could be a life-stage think also. He is 18, despite his disabilities, its natural that they'd want to encourage him to gain as much independence as possible.

Davros Mon 11-Feb-13 09:54:34

It might be the way it's filmed I suppose or maybe they waited before putting him on his courses. Although I think it's likely he was going to do some of it anyway as "adults" with LDs don't generally sit around at home if there is something they could be doing. It's a bit shocking that he is almost "banned" from getting a visa. You can see the economic reasons for that rule but its very unpleasant

MunchkinsMumof2 Mon 11-Feb-13 09:55:47

Sad about his Mum but good that she had given them her blessing.

Salbertina Mon 11-Feb-13 09:57:52

It's standard though, they're foreigners in Oz. My friend fulfilled all the criteria to come here but her husband has heart condition so despite his work cannot get a visa and cannot get medical insurance to come here. Fair enough really tho real shame for them

Davros Mon 11-Feb-13 10:21:33

If we had that policy here the clinics, special schools etc would be half empty

Salbertina Mon 11-Feb-13 10:24:16

Really? But aren't they all UK residents?

Davros Mon 11-Feb-13 10:47:40

I'm not saying its wrong, quite the opposite

Salbertina Mon 11-Feb-13 11:52:36

Sorry, that was a genuine question, do you think they are all UK citizens?

Just catching up. Have they rejected their accommodation already. grin

Cockroaches. grin

Well I watched it all but for some reason just wasn't 'feeling it' today. Didn't feel strongly one way or the other.

Be just been watching on iplayer - I've been to redcliffe and Scarborough and they are v.nice. I am not at all sure about Nickiy's timings though - Redcliffe is easily 45 minutes from Brisbane in normal traffic and it is super busy on the Bruce Highway (yes, really) at rush hour.

I hope to works for them, I really do, but I do think that people go to Australia and expect their lives to be materially different simply because of the weather and it doesn't work like that. Plus the fact that the Brisbane summer is the wet season - I notice that is never mentioned!

I noticed that Jason said that he thought the daughter would miss everyone for "a week or so" which seems v.unrealistic. My poor ds (7) sobs about missing his friends that we left 6 months ago. Not every day, but at least once a fortnight, and we do make plans for visiting them to try and lessen the sting.

Katz Mon 11-Feb-13 21:27:17

I liked today's family, thought they'd made some positive steps as a family and thought that maybe if they don't get to Oz they have at least changed their lives in the UK.

Horsemad Tue 12-Feb-13 09:17:00

I saw this one first time around.

They look quite nice

Horsemad Tue 12-Feb-13 09:20:16

They are a lovely family.

I`m with them on this one, its not good

I wonder how much that first house was?

Dont like this one either, both houses are bland, and no walk in wardrobe shock

grin

MrsReiver Tue 12-Feb-13 09:23:28

I agree, they do seem likeable. I hope wherever they end up, their situation has improved.

I hope they`ve ended up in Australia with a lovely house, gorgeous tans and very happy, I like them grin

They do seem really down to earth and normal.

Which is a nice change!

Horsemad Tue 12-Feb-13 09:29:00

I like that they are realistic & really only want to move because of the employment situation.

This thread is not accepting new messages.