Great British Menu is back

(502 Posts)
MsNobodyAgain Mon 28-Jan-13 19:09:51

if anyone is interested.

BBC2, 7.30pm tonight.

Stephen seemed like a really lovely person, someone I would like to eat dinner with. She was so upset at losing but still gracious.

Raahh Fri 22-Feb-13 20:32:17

I hope they let her know how close it was- she was quite gutted. Her confidence must have been given a boost after last year, though.
TBH- none of the dishes this week were particularly 'wow'. I don't think any of Colin's will make it to the final banquet. Too boringgrin

Idontknowhowtohelpher Fri 22-Feb-13 22:32:34

Steph was unlucky being up against Colin. Other weeks she would have gone through.

LocoParentis Sun 24-Feb-13 02:35:01

Is it just me or do you find the judges talking between courses whilst standing(or leaning) strategically around the room toe curlingly cringeworthy?

If i have to see Oliver half sitting on the edge of the table again this friday i may have to remove my eyes with a blunt spoon. angry

Bilbobagginstummy Sun 24-Feb-13 08:06:39

Please don't do that, loco (though I agree, it adds nothing) - just close your eyes. grin

Idontknowhowtohelpher Sun 24-Feb-13 11:48:43

I wish the judges didn't know who had cooked each dish when they are tasting them. I know that sometimes it is obvious, but it seems to be a bit unfair.

Oodsigma Sun 24-Feb-13 13:19:39

I preferred it like that too.

notyummy Sun 24-Feb-13 21:18:22

I ate at Colin's restaurant on Friday night and I have to say that it was completely lush,

Oodsigma Mon 25-Feb-13 19:36:25

Are these all new to us?

Love Tom judging smile

Raahh Mon 25-Feb-13 19:43:10

I've just switched on, so am on catch up- love Tom- don't recognise the chefs at all.

Raahh Mon 25-Feb-13 19:45:11

Is Tom on the re-vamped Food and Drink, as well?I keep recordingthat, it's notquite grabbing me, but I'm giving it time...

Raahh Mon 25-Feb-13 20:08:18

my thoughts- Peter looks like Sacha Baron Cohen a bit

and he was going to be penalised for being late. That wasn't mentioned the other week, when Mary Ellen was late.

The woman this week (her name has escaped meblush) looked out of her depth.

Chris - don't think he was comfy with the brief, liked the tins.

I love Tom Kerridge blush

Oodsigma Mon 25-Feb-13 20:19:44

The Sascha-Baron-Cohen-chef was a bit smug for me. I liked that Tom made it obvious he was deducting points.

Green eggs and ham sounded great, shame she flapped.

BartletForTeamGB Mon 25-Feb-13 21:35:27

What is Tom going to do tomorrow if any of them do shellfish?

Oodsigma Mon 25-Feb-13 21:49:47

Last year he had a assistant to taste but he has been known to taste anyway in his own dishes

ThePavlovianCat Tue 26-Feb-13 08:54:45

Just caught up with this on iplayer.

I thought the green eggs and ham dish was a brilliant idea. It's a shame she got a bit flustered so it didn't deliver it's potential but I'd like to see her do it again for the judges on Friday and get it right.

The duck a l'orange dish looked interesting and I'd like to try it but I'm not sure it really met the brief. One sticker on a tin does not make a funny dish!

The picnic looked good and I think Tom was right to penalise because of the timing issues.

Tom's just fantastic isn't he? He's really positive and encouraging to them (just as he was on Masterchef the Professionals).

I'm feeling a lot more positive about the chefs this week.

MsNobodyAgain Tue 26-Feb-13 11:26:02

I gave up on last weeks. It was so dull, but I'm definitely watching this week as it's Tom judging. Lovely man.

I agree that Peter seemed smug. His dish was good though. He deserved the point removing for being late.

The woman had a 'mare, and I didn't like the look of her dish.

Bit 'meh' about the duck dish as well.

Looking forward to the fish course.

Raahh Tue 26-Feb-13 19:49:02

I think Sacha/Peter is doing pollockgrin. it's not got a mohicansad

Raahh Tue 26-Feb-13 19:49:43

it's all a bit high tech. looks lovely though.

Raahh Tue 26-Feb-13 19:51:44

Ahh, they've brought Phil back to taste the shell fish.His boss[awkward]

Raahh Tue 26-Feb-13 19:55:21

Emily's looks great.Do like trout.

Raahh Tue 26-Feb-13 19:59:33

Poor Emily. Think she's gutted. Like a fish. He's harsh,is Tom!

Oodsigma Tue 26-Feb-13 20:27:32

Felt sorry for Emily. Thought all would be 7s tonight. Don't like Sascha.

MsNobodyAgain Tue 26-Feb-13 20:45:42

I preferred Emilys dish out of all of them. Peter is an over-confident nob. Chris did a good job today though. I think he nailed the brief better than yesterday.

Hopefully Emily will storm the main tomorrow but it isn't looking great for her is it?

ThePavlovianCat Wed 27-Feb-13 07:35:44

I hope Emily steps it up today and tomorrow because I'd really like to see her get through to Friday. I think her dishes have been the most interesting this week. She did look really shocked at only getting 6 yesterday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now