MsNobodyAgain Mon 28-Jan-13 19:09:51

if anyone is interested.

BBC2, 7.30pm tonight.

Oodsigma Wed 13-Feb-13 10:46:54

Did Aiden go through last year?

MsNobodyAgain Wed 13-Feb-13 11:00:03

He got through to the semi's but didn't get a course to the banquet. sad

Raahh Wed 13-Feb-13 11:04:49

I think Aiden said he'd failed on 3 attempts to get to the final(may have misheard that though!) At last he tried to make his course fit the brief.

Phil confuses me- he's either been told he needs to get a woman into the final, or he fancies Mary Ellengrin- otherwise he seems to be over marking her.

MsNobodyAgain Wed 13-Feb-13 11:29:57

I agree with the Mary Ellen comment Raahh. I feel she's been over-marked.

Yes, Aiden did say he'd failed 3 times to get to the final. Poor man. Although I didn't like his starter dish, bleurgh!!!!!

LiviaAugusta Wed 13-Feb-13 13:44:18

I love GBM but the 'themes' do annoy me. Last year the 'is it Olympian though?' got on my wick and this year it's a bit cringeworthy that some chefs feel that making the diner wear a funny hat is enough to make a dish 'witty and playful'. The chef who left first in week one was definitely robbed by losing to someone who completely ignored the brief but got inexplicably high marks. Think the woman this week could be interesting though, loved her bath tub and rubber duck starter! Having said that I love watching all these amazing chefs in action and am a little disappointed that bonkers Johnny Mountain isn't making an appearance again this year.

The only other thing that has struck me this year is all the chemicals that the 'modern' chefs seem to be happy to put into the food to get it to do molecular things. Not sure what I think about it...

MsNobodyAgain Wed 13-Feb-13 17:16:57

I think it should be stripped back to a menu for a special event. No gimmicks. Just good food.

And ban water baths and protein glue and liquid nitrogen!

Raahh Wed 13-Feb-13 17:41:58

It's deffo gone too gimmicky- in the early series, even if it seemed gimmicky, it looked like edible, proper food. I still remember the Star gazy pie one- not something I'd ever eat myself, but it had the wow factor, and looked like proper solid foodgrin

But I think the first series was the Queen's birthday one- doubt she'd have appreciated beans in a bathgrin

MsNobodyAgain Wed 13-Feb-13 18:13:18

Star gazy pie was a great dish. I liked the chef that did that too. Good, honest cooking.

MooseBeTimeForCoffee Wed 13-Feb-13 18:25:15

That was Mark Hix I think.

MooseBeTimeForCoffee Wed 13-Feb-13 18:28:23

I like Colin McGurran and I think he's back this year. I used to live near his place (Winteringham Fields) and was lucky enough to eat/stay there several times smile

Raahh Wed 13-Feb-13 19:51:27

Really not sure about the whole goat thinghmm

Raahh Wed 13-Feb-13 19:58:53

I must say that I like Phil far more as a judge, than a contestant. I don't think he liked being judged muchgrin

Awww, Aiden got a 10 and is crying. Bless.

Oodsigma Wed 13-Feb-13 20:52:11

Just caught up and cried with Aiden I am really enjoying this week, the chefs are all nice to each other & really supportive. Think we need tasters of Mary Ellen's food as phil is seeing something not shown to us.

Anyone else think of MN when they talk goat?

Raahh Wed 13-Feb-13 20:55:06

I did think of MN @ the goat stuff.

I'm enjoying this week too- much better than last week.

Phil is really letting Mary Ellen get away with stuff-it's annoying. Not that I'm too keen on the other bloke's stuff,thoughgrin

Tweedledeedum Wed 13-Feb-13 22:58:21

I'm afraid I am hating this week, I really want to punch Phil and Aiden in the face, they are such arrogant smug men, I can't stand them confused

MsNobodyAgain Thu 14-Feb-13 09:28:46

Hmmmm, Aiden came across as a bit arrogant last night. And the whole "I need to see something that is a 10" thing is a bit suspicious. Phil keeps banging on about giving a 10, Aiden gets a 10 hmm

I am not liking Mary Ellens food at all but that's probably due to the Heston B influence.

It will probably be her and Aiden that go through to cook for the judges on Friday though.

BartletForTeamGB Thu 14-Feb-13 12:03:34

I think Mary Ellen has been very generously marked on every dish!

BartletForTeamGB Thu 14-Feb-13 12:06:25

Aiden is a shoo in for the final now though.

Bilbobagginstummy Thu 14-Feb-13 19:31:50

Just watched yesterday's - I think Aiden's main is one of very few dishes which are banquet-worthy so far.

And I agree about Mary-Ellen too: she served cold, salty goat and got 8 points???

Oodsigma Thu 14-Feb-13 20:22:02

Hmm not so good tonight then!

TennisFan42 Thu 14-Feb-13 20:27:57

I thought Aiden's pudding idea was good but he needs to work on getting each element of it right before the next round. I'd like to have tried the banana and brownie one - it's a shame he didn't get a stronger flavour with his parfait.

Bilbobagginstummy Thu 14-Feb-13 20:27:58

No - I thought the burger looked great, so it must have been gross!

MsNobodyAgain Thu 14-Feb-13 20:38:22

I don't like desserts so I can't relate to any of the dishes tonight.

It was an obvious result though.

Oodsigma Thu 14-Feb-13 20:45:49

I thought the banana one looked good too

Raahh Fri 15-Feb-13 19:36:12

I missed the beginning of the judges bit last week- didn't realise they got to see what the chefs were doing in advance. Surely that might sway the way they vote?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now