Great British Menu is back

(502 Posts)
MsNobodyAgain Mon 28-Jan-13 19:09:51

if anyone is interested.

BBC2, 7.30pm tonight.

Raahh Tue 19-Mar-13 10:43:18

No horse meat though, MrsN

They did it for 'local hero' charity types the other year- I liked that idea- who gets to go to the RND banquet anyway? Recipients of the charity, or a bunch off over-paid comedians? (and Lenny Henrygrin)

ThePavlovianCat Tue 19-Mar-13 11:14:55

Ooooh I like the idea of a banquet for children, maybe Great Ormond Street or something. Someone on another thread here mentioned how good Manoir aux quat'saisons are at making special dishes for children. It would be really interesting seeing the chefs provide high quality food but aimed at kids.

I'll have to go over to Digital Spy and mention this! I mentioned on a thread there last year that whoever hosts the banquet should also judge the food each week and low and behold this year they have the fourth judge.
<Totally going to take credit even though it's clearly just a coincidence>

Btw do we know who the guest judge is this week?

Raahh Tue 19-Mar-13 14:38:09

Pavlovian- I have now spent half an hour reading the DS thread- at least we are not alone in finding the chefs humourless, and the brief- crapgrin

MsNobodyAgain Tue 19-Mar-13 17:28:07

The DS contributors scare me. I read but don't comment.

Oodsigma Tue 19-Mar-13 17:40:05

I'm like that with AIBU blush

MsNobodyAgain Tue 19-Mar-13 17:57:32

Now that is a proper scary place but fun to read

JulesJules Tue 19-Mar-13 19:14:20

Lovely Richard from last week must be watching Wales week and thinking WTF. He would have strolled through against this lot.

ThePavlovianCat Tue 19-Mar-13 19:41:11

Mary-Ann feels very threatened by young Luke doesn't she? She is going to be very annoying this week. Is she generally a well regarded chef?

Raahh Tue 19-Mar-13 19:42:50

I am really not enjoying this week- and it's only day 2. Mary Ann is just awful

Raahh Tue 19-Mar-13 19:43:34

'young gun' and 'experienced'- voice over woman is in her element this week!grin

I honestly couldn't eat a thing Mary-Anne's touched, she looks like she hasn't washed for weeks. Did no one tell her this was on tv?

Raahh Tue 19-Mar-13 20:03:10

Poor Luke looked scared of Mary Ann- bet he really wanted to tell her to fuck off, but has been brought up better, and it would be like swearing at his gran.

Raahh Tue 19-Mar-13 20:07:53

Clearly Richard is going to win. Hopefully. He's another who has (apparently- don't remember him) been on a few times before, and hasn't won. I have no idea what the other 2 are doing there- and can't see how Mary-Ann was marked higher than Luke(hers looked a mess).

MsNobodyAgain Tue 19-Mar-13 21:08:49

Mary-Anne, cringe. It is like having your granny getting drunk at a wedding.

'Young Gun' Luke. Wtf was that milkshake about.

Richards was the best but voiceover woman was stretching a bit saying he was serving on a 'comedy red plate'.

It is the worst week so far.

Bilbobagginstummy Wed 20-Mar-13 12:55:41

I think it would be fun to see a brief where the "main ingredient" of each course is set, and chefs have to make up a menu of dishes around it.

So, say, mushroom starter, salmon fish course, beef main, strawberry pudding.

Make them think but bring the focus back to the actual food.

ThePavlovianCat Wed 20-Mar-13 14:59:07

I'd like them to have a brief where every course is vegetarian. There always seems to be a lack of vegetarian dishes on GBM.

Raahh Wed 20-Mar-13 19:36:18

Can I be bothered with today? Greasy Mary-Ann is really putting me off. Do you think her 'restaurant' is actually a greasy spoon on Barry Island?

Raahh Wed 20-Mar-13 19:39:04

So far -Mary-Ann's mince looks grey.

MsNobodyAgain Wed 20-Mar-13 19:45:04

Her kitchen looked gross.

I can't see cottage pie going through.

Raahh Wed 20-Mar-13 19:46:16

No- cottage pie stands no chance thankfully

MsNobodyAgain Wed 20-Mar-13 19:46:58

I want a piggy plate envy

Raahh Wed 20-Mar-13 19:50:16

the piggy plate is great. he's surely won?

MsNobodyAgain Wed 20-Mar-13 19:52:53

Well Mary Anns greasy pie won't win.

<shudder>

Young gun Luke is not having a good week.

Raahh Wed 20-Mar-13 19:53:42

'young gun' SHUT UP!

Raahh Wed 20-Mar-13 19:54:09

(not you,obvsgrin)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now