West Wing from the beginning

(93 Posts)

As there are many Nov 2012 mums currently enjoying maternity leave with much time on the sofa, we've recently been discussing which TV programmes we are enjoying watching. The West Wing has repeatedly come up as a programme that is on people's 'to watch' or 'to rewatch' for the zillionth time list, so here's a place where we can do it together!

Each Saturday night I'll post the titles of the episodes we will watch in the coming week, then we can come back here for chat, discussion, thoughts, questions and perving over the wondrous Josh

Anyone who'd like to watch with us is welcome too! But please no spoilers for those who are enjoying it for the first time!

So lets start with the first two episodes of series one:
Series 1, episode 1: Pilot
Series 1, episode 2: Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc

Oooh thanks for the pic Olivia though Josh still has my heart

Surely you can watch a couple of episodes a week at MNHQ and join in with us?

OliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 31-Jan-13 11:58:41

Some questions!

- what do the tally marks on Josh's chalkboard signify?
They're votes that they can rely on whichever way x or y congressmen/senators are going to vote aren't they?

Brockle Thu 31-Jan-13 12:20:10

my girl crush on CJ started when she fell off that treadmill grin

OliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 31-Jan-13 12:33:20

Brockle

my girl crush on CJ started when she fell off that treadmill grin

"You can have a normal life. You'd be amazed at how normal I can be, See, it's all about budgeting your time. This time, this hour - this is my time. 5:00 a.m. to 6:00 a.m. I can work out, as you see. I can think about personal matters. I can... meet an interesting man......."
I HEART CJ

TheGoatThatGotAway Thu 31-Jan-13 13:03:51

Right, I had decided just to lurk on this thread on the pretext of having a life outside MN and The West Wing. But CJ is mine, ok?

Brockle Thu 31-Jan-13 14:02:31

I think you will find that the flamingo is mine grin

Just finished the first two episodes and it was hard not to carry on watching. I really wanted to see Josh's diagram for Mandy smile

Dixiebell Thu 31-Jan-13 15:30:45

I think the POTUS thing is v unrealistic, but can see why they wanted to end the opener on that line - other suggestions wouldn't have the same impact! But it is a bit cheesy. And the CJ fall v slapstick, a tad Miranda-ish! But CJ great.

ubik Thu 31-Jan-13 16:13:49

Stay with it

First series is cheesy, then it gets very, very serious.

I need to buy the box set and watch it all over again.

Brockle Thu 31-Jan-13 16:32:41

it is a bit cheesy dixie but it more than makes up for it later. I am sure I heard that the intention was for the show to focus on the staff with the president as a bit part but they changed their minds after the pilot. So glad they did. I will stop being a geek nowsmile

Dixiebell Thu 31-Jan-13 17:50:35

I've watched all seven series at least five times so don't worry, I know how good it is! It's interesting to compare the early episodes and how the characters develop smile

ubik Thu 31-Jan-13 17:59:09

"We ^changed time zones?^"

I love it

Brockle Thu 31-Jan-13 19:48:32

sorry dixie I mixed you up with someone who was starti.g the series I put it down to sleep deprivation grin

canutesauntie Fri 01-Feb-13 02:07:40

Any excuse to dust off the box set again, Im looking forward to sharing it with fellow fans rather than DS2. We watched 1&2 together this evening and Im not sure it appealed to him that much. He kept asking "is that the President?" all the way through the pilot.
Who can not have a girl crush on wonderful CJ?

DillyTante Fri 01-Feb-13 07:31:41

The Mallory name thing bugged me too but obviously she had to have a different name so Sam didn't realise she was Leo's daughter. Though given what we see about how campaigns work later I can't believe he had never met her before.

Pilots are usually stand alone episodes anyway, and the resulting series often quite different. I believe Sam was meant to be a major focus of the show, but it didn't quite work out like that.

I could really do with a guide to explain all the nuances of American politics that even after several viewings I still don't get. I hadn't really thought about they way they use Donna to explain things.

It all starts so happy and full of cammeraderie and optimism doesn't it?

Have you watched episode 2 or 3 yet where the president overdoses on muscle relaxants? He's so funny! "I just wanted to say to you all...I'm thinking about getting a dog" grin

StuntNun Fri 01-Feb-13 15:23:23

I finished ep. 2 today so I'm getting to grip with the characters. I haven't really got into the show yet but seeing as you're all raving about how good it is I'm looking forward to next week's episodes.

ChunkyChicken Fri 01-Feb-13 17:25:13

I <3 CJ grin

I love the fact that the characters are developing in ep 2. We start seeing that Josh is a touch egotistical, Toby is dry but amazingly clever, Leo is a proper patriarchal figure, caring but in a distant way, CJ has a wicked SOH & POTUS is bit inappropriately funny.

CitizenOscar Fri 01-Feb-13 20:41:20

Why weren't you guys around last year?! I tried to re-watch TWW while
I was on maternity leave and barely got into season 2!

Baby never slept long enough for a full episode sad

CatelynStark Sat 02-Feb-13 10:02:09

Ok, I'm in! TWW has always been on my list so I've just bought the box set from that CEX place. (I'm not on maternity leave though, soz smile)

My initial impressions of 1 & 2 is that it's snappy, fast and intelligent and I like it but the music made moments a bit too God Loves America schmaltzy for my taste (I prefer gritty, lowlife stuff like The Shield usually). Yet, there were moments that moved me - I agree that Martin Sheen is very impressive.

I'm definitely joining the C.J. Fanclub - she's a sassy lady.

I'm on programme 3 so I won't comment on the plot yet in case I leak a spoiler to those who are watching for the very first time, like me - but it's getting good.

Is it bad that I don't fancy anyone in it yet? hmm

I also like the way that episode 2 introduces the VP. it's clear from the start that he's not part of the happy west wing family and hints as to what happened between the President and Vice President in the past are dropped.

Also, Leo can read CJ like a book!

Can anyone who's seen it before remember how far in the first term they are when the series starts?

<off to Google>

Ok, so the series starts 8 months into their first term. The Bartlett administration took office in January 1999 and the first episode was set in August 1999.

So those joining in with our rewatch, this week's episodes to discuss are are:

Series 1, episode 3: A Proportional Response
Series 1, episode 4: Five Votes Down

And of course thoughts on past episodes still welcome!

MadamGazelleIsMyMum Sun 03-Feb-13 18:30:30

Oh CatelynStark I am so jealous of you (and anyone else) who is watching it for the first time.

Well, I started it for about the millionth time when DS was born 13 weeks ago, and am up to series 5, so am kind of watching series 1 and 5 simultaneously. May just drop 5 and focus on 1!

FellatioNels0n Sun 03-Feb-13 19:10:34

I bloody love TWW. I am watching it for the first time and I'm almost at the end of series 2. It just leaves me with a big smile on my face every time. <sighs> CJ is bloody marvellous. Who can fail to love her?

CatelynStark Sun 03-Feb-13 20:06:09

MadamGazelle - I feel the same when anyone watches my favourite box sets for the first time smile

Well, I'm a few episodes ahead now and have definitely got TWW bug. I'm loving it!

There's not a character that I don't adore!

MarinaIvy Tue 05-Feb-13 13:47:02

It's the only show I watch where I don't do Any. Other. Fecking. Thing.

I don't eat, I don't drink (well, maybe a little), I don't do sewing or ironing or tidy the house or surf the internet.

Seriously, the dialogue and direction is worthy of my undivided. Aaron Sorkin is God, and I normally hate American television. Pity the follow-up series (Studio 60) fell victim to the writer's strike, because that had such promise.

Future Best Line Ever (not really a spoiler):

Toby: "'Up Yours' does not win you votes"
Passing intern with the right accent: "It does in New Jersey"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now