Call the midwife

(541 Posts)

Tonight?

Oodsigma Fri 08-Feb-13 04:43:29

I think it was a poverty/ tradition thing in the EE. My mum was born in 51 by c-section so obviously a hospital birth. There's a lot of ref in the books to their ways being old fashioned

BartletForTeamGB Fri 08-Feb-13 10:45:49
ErikNorseman Fri 08-Feb-13 20:57:39

Why do you think the twins wore headscarves when out?

BertieBotts Fri 08-Feb-13 22:06:08

To keep warm? I suppose it was fashionable then.

Oodsigma Fri 08-Feb-13 22:24:29

I thought it was a fashion thing. Certainly women from that era wore them as old ladies. Plus was cold on the market

LaVolcan Fri 08-Feb-13 23:01:10

The Queen was born by c-section - at home!

How reliable is this information? It seems extremely unlikely. There's no mention of Princess Margaret being born by CS which you would have expected to be the case in those days.

BartletForTeamGB Sat 09-Feb-13 07:50:00

It is true and well known. There are lots and lots of references to that fact! Amazing, isn't it!

As for Princess Margaret, she was also born by C section apparently at Glamis Castle. There are a few references for that although I can't find anything very reliable to link to.

I'm all for home births, but perhaps not home C sections... smile

It's not well known - at least I had absolutely no idea! A home C-section! Amazing! Can you imagine asking for one now?

LottieJenkins Sat 09-Feb-13 08:27:36

When i was born in 1969 My Mum was 33 and considered an "older mother" even so they wanted Mum to have a home birth. At the time Mum and Dad were 45 minutes from the hospital and Dad wasnt happy with a home birth so he booked my Mum into a private hospital which wasnt really geared up to cope with children. I kept making a lot of noise so was apparently put in the laundry cupboard! shock grin

ppeatfruit Sat 09-Feb-13 17:47:37

Well NotADragon the 'home' of the royals isn't much like most people's is it? They could easily have scrubbed up one of the hundreds of unused rooms and used that!

Lottie I was born in a normal maternity wing of a hospital in 1951 and was also put in an airing cupboard for crying too much !! (I was being BF and maybe they were used to FF babies who were full up and didn't cry so much!)

HeavenlyAmy Sun 10-Feb-13 20:21:44

What's wrong with baby?

He has spina bifida heavenly

PenelopePisstop Sun 10-Feb-13 20:59:38

That was quite hard to watch.

OddBoots Sun 10-Feb-13 21:00:54

Amazing how some things have got so much better and some have not. There is so much hope for the future for spinal repair with stem cells.

BOF Sun 10-Feb-13 21:01:39

It was. Nice ending though.

Oodsigma Sun 10-Feb-13 21:03:44

Very interesting episode. The line about the biscuit factory was spot on. Dh came in just before that and was hooked in straight away. Sister Monica Joan's views showed how much the views/treatment changed. The idea of killing a baby is unbearable yet they thought it was best.

pirouette Sun 10-Feb-13 21:09:40

"There is a biscuit factory next door. We get the broken ones"......<sobbing my heart out>

Very hard to watch. I let 5 month old DD stay up and let her co sleep tonight. Needed a cuddle with her, sobbed like a baby at that episode.
The reviews about this series were spot on! A lot grittier.

girliefriend Sun 10-Feb-13 21:27:31

I cried at the bit as well pirouette!! Really hit the mark, seems unthinkable that it was seen as such a tragedy to have a disabled child and that the 'best' thing to do would be put them in a home sad Glad the mum came round in the end (I thought she would!)

Also loved that Jane found her perfect man!!

Loving this series smile

The broken biscuit line really floored me. There are many many people with disabilities that still get the broken biscuits in our society.

My parents were advised to leave my brother at the hospital, go home and forget about him and have more children. This was in 1964. So the attitudes of the more enlightened characters on tonight's show were certainly not the norm I don't think.

PenelopePisstop Sun 10-Feb-13 22:02:08

The broken biscuit was bloody heartbreaking.

Adversecamber Sun 10-Feb-13 22:36:07

I know that my grandmother had a fourth dc a boy that was allowed to slip away, he was disabled but not sure how. My Mum told me the midwife apparently laid him under the bed and didn't clear his airways, this would have been in the early 1930's.

WipsGlitter Sun 10-Feb-13 22:40:13

People still think having a child with special needs is the end of the world, sadly. You only have to read some of the threads on here about people terminating pregnancies for 'medical reasons'.

nellyjelly Mon 11-Feb-13 08:32:41

Wisp. There is some truth in what you are saying unfortunately.

The broken biscuit made me well up instantly. Very clever writing just there I thought.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now