Call the midwife

(541 Posts)

Tonight?

diddl Tue 22-Jan-13 07:41:43

So in reality, the Captain´s daughter gave birth & wasn´t seen again?

What happened to Molly?

Was she charged?

Did she go to prison?

I don´t like how they are changing it tbh-as if the "happy ending" makes up for all the bad!

mrsjay Tue 22-Jan-13 08:39:40

I remember waking up & husband saying how quiet I´d been!

so did I it zonked me my husband was holding the tube and i woke up accusing him of stealing my gas and air and it was mine grin probably with a demonic voice, I bloody loved gas and air , no wonder the Dr was run ragged once the word got round how good it is

mrsjay Tue 22-Jan-13 08:40:46

the books are really grim some of the stories they wouldn't be able to adapt them for sunday night telly if they didnt change the stories, ( i havn't read them all )

diddl Tue 22-Jan-13 08:42:34

But prostituting out your wife & daughter are pretty grim anyway-no happy ending takes that away!

mrsjay Tue 22-Jan-13 08:44:55

god yes of course TBh i think it is on too early and should be on at 9 and not 8

mrsjay Tue 22-Jan-13 08:47:00

I think the bit at the end where the children are with granny is just to finish it off and not make it so hard hitting? I thought the who exploitation of the 2 women disturbing and not cheery sunday night telly, My dd was opened mouthed watching and couldn't beleive the sailors could do that, My dd is 14 so not little but

ppeatfruit Tue 22-Jan-13 10:00:54

Yes maybe it should start at 9 but then it would clash with Mr Selfridge which is also enjoyable in a less disturbing way though!

mrsjay Tue 22-Jan-13 10:03:04

Oh no we can't have clashing with Mr selfridge grin

diddl Tue 22-Jan-13 10:05:50

Yes I suppose it´s the "pay off" between staying true to the books/turning it down a notch-so that you can have 8pm & more viewers??

Cynic? Moi??

I don´t watch Eastenders, but what time is that on, & what sort have things have they "got away with" in the name of "drama"?

I only remember the baby swapping storyline.

BertieBotts Tue 22-Jan-13 10:09:31

I thought she did go to prison? I can't remember TBH, been a long time since I read them. But I doubt they would have gone to the mother.

mrsjay Tue 22-Jan-13 10:10:52

they did say at the end they both went to prison

ppeatfruit Tue 22-Jan-13 10:18:17

Yes I remember that about the prison too mrsjay I then thought what happens when they come out hmm sad Unless the gran moved far away with the DCs the shxx would find them and it would start again.

diddl Tue 22-Jan-13 10:22:09

I wondered what happened in the book with Molly.

mrsjay Tue 22-Jan-13 10:23:35

I think the gran was their carer after that , <far to involved> I was thinking after watching those kids will be in their 50s/60s now I wonder if they watched and recognised themselves, I know in the book they are boys but still,,

ppeatfruit Tue 22-Jan-13 10:31:40

That's a thought mrsjay shock

I was wondering about contraception it'd been around since the 2Os why TF were women who had too many kids still going on having them? (that screaming woman saying about her DD 'oh there's more like 'er at home' like she didn't give a shxx) At least the poor swedish girl HAD contraceptives.

mrsjay Tue 22-Jan-13 10:35:10

they would have been expensive and it was just condoms available I think that for working class married women pregnancy and babies were just a given 1 child was just like another,

ppeatfruit Tue 22-Jan-13 11:03:15

They must 've been VERY poor and or ignorant then 'cos MIL and her siblings who were WC had one or NONE at that time, and before then actually (fed up with the big families that THEIR parents had). There are other ways too besides condoms grin.

mrsjay Tue 22-Jan-13 11:07:31

I suppose you are right it was 1958 not 28 so they did know how to stop it perhaps it was more a wifely duty thing ? my nana had 8 children her last was 1953 so I dunno

ppeatfruit Tue 22-Jan-13 11:44:54

Or they were R.C's?

ShephardsDelight Tue 22-Jan-13 12:48:03

Did anyone catch earlier on in the episode when her husband is talking , 'I can't now but I'm nearly term' 'But we've got no money!' I thought .prostitution! but I did read the book too.

Yeah I was sure it was Chummy on the boat! I was like eh? I wonder why they changed that, and in the book the Captain sleeps with his daughter too boak

ppeatfruit Tue 22-Jan-13 12:55:33

Do you know shephards I got the feeling from the actor (he was a good actor) that that was probably the case; if it wasn't true you wouldn't believe it would you ? It's soo terrible shock

ShephardsDelight Tue 22-Jan-13 13:03:47

I just thought as soon as I heard, which was clever of the programme, most people will have missed that. I was wondering why would someone so jealous/possessive have his wife sleep with other men even if it is for money?.

mrsjay Tue 22-Jan-13 13:08:56

maybe RC pip or they just liked lots of sex and couldn't work out their cycle, My nana wasn't RC and had loads of kids one after the other,

the expoiltation of both those women on sunday was just heart breaking I wonder how old the captains daughter was when the mother died , yes it is for control and money shephards

ShephardsDelight Tue 22-Jan-13 13:19:03

The girl was 14 when she first went on the ship in the book and the captain had his go first I think boak , I laugh when people say it is too grim, Its nowhere near as near to the knuckle as the book, I think its a great alternative to 'Lark rise etc'.

I'm not looking forward to the bit about women making them selves miscarry , from what I read in the book sad.

mrsjay Tue 22-Jan-13 13:22:25

, I laugh when people say it is too grim, Its nowhere near as near to the knuckle as the book, I think its a great alternative to 'Lark rise etc'.

I read the first book is there more ? yes it is grim and i dont think the programme shows how grim it probably was it is implied though so the viewer can understand what they mean ( if that makes sense), I watch with dds youngest 14 I dont think i would watch with a 10 yr old

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now