Call the midwife

(541 Posts)

Tonight?

NanBullen Mon 04-Mar-13 21:15:33
ppeatfruit Tue 05-Mar-13 08:31:04

AAh thanks nanBullen Judy Parfitt's a brilliant actress.

mrsjay Tue 05-Mar-13 09:34:42

OH I know who she Is I didnt recognise her with her habit on grin

MarthasHarbour Tue 05-Mar-13 11:17:01

oodsigma shock you will be 3 days postnatal on sunday. does this mean we will have a real live CTM moment on our thread! <squeals with excitement>

Good luck! you MUST come on here and update us grin

Just watched it last night. It is so good to see old Chummy back, and her DH who has gone all John Travolta on us with the wide collars! wink

The racism was hard to watch but brilliantly done, it was like school playground bullying, especially the bit where Monique catches Rita from falling and they share a lovely moment - until the other bullies turned up sad

Glad she stuck up for her in the end though. Am i right that this story isnt in the books? Although as i said upthread other midwives came forward with similar stories.

Mr and Mrs Lacey were in the book, although the ending wasnt as sugar coated, the son buggered off back to America with his fiancee and they dumped the bonnet in the gutter angry

Oodsigma Tue 05-Mar-13 11:57:58

martha having a planned section on Thursdayso not so dramatic as CTM! Hopefully the MWs are as good though.

MarthasHarbour Tue 05-Mar-13 13:04:50

woo hoo exciting! still want live updates grin

i liked last weeks when Miss Masterton was in labour on the floor and Jenny got all snooty on her 'you are having a baby not cleaning the floor' grin

ppeatfruit Tue 05-Mar-13 13:46:41

marthasHarbour Miss Masterston's labour reminded me of 1st stage with DD2, she was stuck forehead presenting for 5 hours (I'd been in labour for 3 days beforehand too shock) and I said to the MW maybe if I got up and walked about she'd move. The MW said 'I can't deliver you on the floor" In a similar disdainful manner.
Oddly DD2 did move round and popped out on her own while I was waiting for an EC.

MarthasHarbour Tue 05-Mar-13 21:55:27

grin at your DD2 but <ouch yer bugger> at DD1! shock

My DNanna used to be a nurse during the war and i like to think she was a bit of a Jenny in the prim and proper sense, but she looks like she would have been a Trixie - in looks and cheekiness! wink She was never a midwife but did look after babies in the neonatal unit and has told me some stories. She was also asked to provide breastmilk for a baby with polio when she had my aunty in 1949. Apparently the baby's mum was too poorly to breastfeed so they asked my nanna to provide some when she was in the maternity ward she-reckons it was because her boobies were mahoosive!

She did it and was v proud of herself! We were both talking a while back that it would be amazing to find out how the baby and his mum got on smile

Sorry i digressed a little there wink

limitedperiodonly Wed 06-Mar-13 08:16:28

That's a lovely story martha. I like digressions

AmberLeaf Wed 06-Mar-13 09:18:48

I caught up with sundays episode on iplayer last night.

I was welling up when Moniques baby was born with a knot in the cord.

Her story reminded me of a character in the book Small Island, full of hope and with an air of class about her, but brought down with a real bump at the conditions and attitudes she faced here.

Sister Monica-Joan unravelling with her dementia is so sad, she is still at the stage where she is aware of what is happening to her, so scary for her.

Did she [Judy Parfitt] play the old lady in the film of Delores Claiborne?

ppeatfruit Wed 06-Mar-13 09:26:47

i don't know about Dolores Claiborne but we've got the book Small Island it's a very good book. IKWYM about Monique

AmberLeaf Wed 06-Mar-13 09:29:45

Yes I enjoyed Small Island, just remembered the TV dramatisation of it too!

Just checked on Wiki and Judy Parfitt did play the old lady [Vera Donovan]

BOF Sun 10-Mar-13 20:13:10

Jenny really gets on my tits now. Uptight, prissy, boring.

Sugarice Sun 10-Mar-13 20:20:02

I love Pam Ferris and her character Evangelista grin such a fab actress!!

Sugarice Sun 10-Mar-13 20:21:30

Fuck! I know you know her character!! Arse phone.

Sugarice Sun 10-Mar-13 20:44:21

I'm already blubbing !!

BOF Sun 10-Mar-13 20:44:37

Lovely seeing the nun and the doctor.

JambalayaCodfishPie Sun 10-Mar-13 20:45:24

Whoo - hoo Sheila and Patrick! grin

BOF Sun 10-Mar-13 20:48:13

Oh no sad

IAmLouisWalsh Sun 10-Mar-13 20:50:02

Oh shit.

rhondajean Sun 10-Mar-13 20:52:37

Please tell em chummy doesn't die! Running behind here...

rhondajean Sun 10-Mar-13 20:53:26

Tell me that should say...

heronsfly Sun 10-Mar-13 20:55:53

I cant watch tonight either, please tell us its all ok in the end sad

NeverKnowinglyUnderstood Sun 10-Mar-13 20:56:38

looking like not going to be a horrendous evening after all

IAmLouisWalsh Sun 10-Mar-13 20:57:41

Crying for the right reasons now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now