Call the midwife

(541 Posts)

Tonight?

ppeatfruit Mon 25-Feb-13 14:28:04

The Catholic convent life (from the Book of Hours), includes going to bed at 9 or 10p.m. and getting up at 2 or 3a.m. to pray etc. (I'm not sure if the Anglicans are the same) but it doesn't seem a very healthy one IMO. Sister B. 'd far better off marrying the doc. grin

Anglicans are the same, yes. But both Catholic and Anglican nuns are under obedience to their mother superior, and can be required not to participate in the full programme of prayers, or can be given permission to eat meat during Lent, or whatever.

My cousin was an Anglican nun and she had a standing permission to carry money with her for buying biscuits when she went to visit my gran, because they knew my gran didn't feed her enough! grin

But also, the elderly nuns in her order who weren't well enough didn't have to get up in the night, and they didn't have the same restrictions on what they ate. I don't know when those rules came into force in Anglican orders and it may be things were more strict in the 1950s, but essentially, the monastic Rules set out in the early centuries of the Church are pretty good at accepting people may need to be let off physical duties if they can't cope.

What's the Book of Hours in this context? Is it a book about Catholic convent life, or do you mean the Book of Hours in the liturgical sense?

(Btw, if anyone does have book recs about the nuns in the series I would really like to know, I'm fascinated by it.)

ppeatfruit Mon 25-Feb-13 14:45:15

I'm not fully conversant with it ;I've got a lovely book called The Morville Hours which is by a woman whose mother was a lay person who went on retreats and the author used her Book of Hours, the changing seasons etc. as a structure for the book which is about the creation of a garden near an Anglican church., she researched many of the old beautiful Books of Hours too.

Oh, that sounds lovely, I'll go google it. That sounds just my cup of tea, thanks. I work on medieval Books of Hours some of the time, they're gorgeous.

I wish the series would tell us more about how they've researched the order of nuns. I keep hearing they did lots of research so as to be able to add new but authentic stuff to the original books. It'd be great to read it.

ppeatfruit Mon 25-Feb-13 14:55:28

I love the book I'm into gardening and reread it a lot! By Katherine Swift.

I've found it on Amazon! I like gardening too.

Thank you. smile

ppeatfruit Mon 25-Feb-13 14:59:33

You're very welcome grin It sounds like you'd enjoy it!

PolkadotsAndMoonbeams Mon 25-Feb-13 18:20:15

I've just caught up. Poor Sister Bernadette. And I had a little tear at the "I'm leaving, you're arriving" bit.

I did wonder whether they were going to split the story about Julia, how they did with what's-her-name last time...the Irish girl whose baby was given up for adoption and then stole a baby...but I don't think there's enough of the story left to do that is there?

Am I the only one who finds that Sr Bernadette (the TV one) gets on their tits?

MrsWolowitzerables Tue 26-Feb-13 16:32:59

So is sister Bernadette going to die?

<cries>

ppeatfruit Wed 27-Feb-13 08:38:44

Gwendoline Yes grin I reckon the actress is quite a find actually for a youngster (old gimmer emoticom)!!!

ppeatfruit Wed 27-Feb-13 08:52:10

The Sister Bernadette actress's name is Laura Main one to watch IMO!!!

zukiecat Wed 27-Feb-13 13:31:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ppeatfruit Wed 27-Feb-13 13:43:16

grin zukiecat

I don't have anything against the actress, just the character.

MarthasHarbour Thu 28-Feb-13 23:00:39

i just caught up with it last night, sobbed at the scene with Julia's dad and son. I recognise the actor that played her dad, but cant place him.

Sister Bernadette didnt die of TB in the book - she also didnt leave the church to marry either. Pleeeeease dont let her die sad i agree that the scene with Dr Turner examining her was so well done.

Is Sunday's the last one sad although i think they have commissioned a third series smile

MarthasHarbour Thu 28-Feb-13 23:04:37

oo just wiki'd it and there are two more episodes, a xmas 2013 special and a third series in 2014

<aaaand relax!>

thefemaleJoshLyman Thu 28-Feb-13 23:26:46

The father was in Lark Rise yo Candleford, think character name was Whistler?

thefemaleJoshLyman Thu 28-Feb-13 23:27:18

grr, to Candleford.

Oodsigma Fri 01-Mar-13 06:48:07

Wonder if there's enough of Jennifer's stories left or will they add them , the based on reality bit is the important part to me.

MarthasHarbour Fri 01-Mar-13 07:16:31

Don't worry oodsigma apparently lots of retired midwives of the time came forward with other stories which has given them material for another series
smile

Oodsigma Fri 01-Mar-13 07:20:13

That's good then worried the beeb wouldn't have high enough standards

AmberLeaf Fri 01-Mar-13 08:12:43

Thats great news MathasHarbour!

ppeatfruit Fri 01-Mar-13 11:36:32

The dying publican, father of wayward pregn. daughter, was played by a man who played Twister in Lark Rise to Candleford (which i liked BTW not as good as CTM though).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now