Call the midwife

(541 Posts)

Tonight?

what always strikes me is that they are true stories

And even though they tweaked this story to a late abortion, it would have been a true story that happened to someone. It's not something they've made up sad

MarthasHarbour Thu 21-Feb-13 15:20:32

bertie here is how it happened <i have just re-read that story last week!> warning it is really grim...

It starts with Nora being in early pregnancy, she goes to Mrs Pritchard who gives her some smelling salts or something and tells her to come back in a week if the potion doesnt work (which it never was going to). She comes back in a week and has the 'abortion' back at her house, gives Mrs Pritchard 20 guineas

A few weeks later she discovers flutterings and realises that she is still pregnant. This is when she goes round to Mrs Pritchards house and tears three strips off her and asks for her money back. Mrs P says 'i only treated you for stomach cramps' <to keep the police off her door>

So Nora is still pregnant, gives birth, husband calls the midwife who comes out and finds the baby head down in a bucket of blood <sorry everyone - that was the story> Baby dies and there is an inquest which returns an open verdict.

and this was a true story sad sad sad

snowybun Thu 21-Feb-13 18:58:59

Call the midwife is never really going to be light Sunday entertainment I have read all three books and found them fascinating on how life was harsh and brutal in those times and the differences in health care now how far it has come.
I am disappointed that janes story is not how it is in the book and sugar coated.
I have now read amidst life which is all about death and how dying used to be compared to today and when to stop helping and let nature run its course. It is a very upsetting and harsh book but I am glad I read it

mrsjay Thu 21-Feb-13 19:06:10

A woman I worked with told me a story of her MIls mum leaving a baby on the 'back step' after it didn't look right when it was born, my friend said I couldnt believe it when she told me (the granny had dementia) that apparently they left the baby there for god to decide shock my workmate who is also a HV was in tears when she told us, of course the baby died and was buried and they all mourned. it was the strangest story and very sad.

MarthasHarbour Thu 21-Feb-13 21:22:07

snoweybun I am also disapointed they have not portrayed Jane's story as it was in the book.

I too have learned a great deal about social history from the books and want to learn more. The workhouse era fascinates me in a sad and shocking way

ppeatfruit Fri 22-Feb-13 10:32:41

OMG Marthas and mrsjay its soooo terrible sad

ProphetOfDoom Fri 22-Feb-13 10:49:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bloggingvirgin Fri 22-Feb-13 10:56:57

Is anyone else a bit hmm at the story lines?

I was born in the 50s in a working class area of a city- not London- and contraception was available readily. Even my gran who was born in 1892 and had 3 children used contraception.

I found the episode last week a bit unrealistic because although condoms and caps were available for married women in the 1950s, there was no explanation why the women last week had loads of unwanted children.

LaVolcan Fri 22-Feb-13 22:30:58

I think it was cost - although you would think that a few packets of johnnies would be cheaper than an extra mouth to feed.

BertieBotts Fri 22-Feb-13 22:41:52

blogging they're based on real life memoirs, so not really. Although certain things are explained more in detail in the books.

I think it was cultural more than anything else.

BertieBotts Fri 22-Feb-13 22:43:05

And remember that some of these families were very very poor - poor enough that although another baby would be a huge strain, it would have been enough of a strain to keep buying condoms, enough to put you off, thinking "We'll be alright".

ProphetOfDoom Fri 22-Feb-13 23:47:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Anyone watching tonight?

OddBoots Sun 24-Feb-13 20:38:27

I am but about 30 minutes behind.

MissAliceBand Sun 24-Feb-13 20:46:15

I am.

It's the pub story isn't it. Unfortunately I don't think the stories like this, which are tild over a period of time in the books, have as much impact as they did written down.

MissAliceBand Sun 24-Feb-13 20:46:53

*told even grin

Sugarice Sun 24-Feb-13 20:47:20

Yes and I'm blubbing as usual!

I know what you mean but I think they do it well

Oodsigma Sun 24-Feb-13 21:00:46

They did do it very well.

Just wanted the Dr to hug Sister Bernadette at the end sad

susiedaisy Sun 24-Feb-13 21:01:56

I'm watching but am about 20 mins behind they have all just starting queuing for the X-ray machine!

KnockMeDown Sun 24-Feb-13 21:02:44

I found it incredibly poignant tonight.

kansasmum Sun 24-Feb-13 21:03:26

Just sobbed through last 10 mins. It's been a bad day and that finished me!

lirael Sun 24-Feb-13 21:05:34

Noooo - not Sister Bernadette sad

PenelopePisstop Sun 24-Feb-13 21:06:32

Heartbreaking. Again. Cried out loud at the death bed scene. It's a bit cheesy but I really don't care because I love so much.

And the doctor examining Sister Bernadette, erotic and sad. So much love which goes unspoken, so true.

pirouette Sun 24-Feb-13 21:07:24

I'm howling too Knockmedown. my dad got to hold his grandson before he died.sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now