Call the midwife

(541 Posts)

Tonight?

Oodsigma Sun 17-Feb-13 20:59:57

sad at the saying goodbye but phew!

Also cried at Sister Monica Joan!

I have never really understood so clearly before why I should (and am) so very grateful for contraception.

It makes you realise how bloody lucky we are now.

Sheila Sun 17-Feb-13 21:00:12

I think it's very important to be reminded of how awful it was before contraception and abortion were available, and what lengths desperate women will go to end an unwanted pregnancy.

ProphetOfDoom Sun 17-Feb-13 21:02:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

carbondated Sun 17-Feb-13 21:02:58

God that was a tough one! I think I'm being a bit thick but did Nora survive and come out of the coma or do I have that wrong? I don't think they can make it feelgood easily if it's based on the writer's true experiences. I think they have tried to do some toning down of things from what I've read on here though ie the captain's daughter on the ship episode was a better outcome then in the book.

ErikNorseman Sun 17-Feb-13 21:04:50

I don't think we know about Nora yet do we?

ErikNorseman Sun 17-Feb-13 21:05:57

Oh god I've just realised I'm a few minutes behind you all because I paused it. Thank goodness Nora recovered.

PenelopePisstop Sun 17-Feb-13 21:11:57

It's hard too believe that this is in my mothers life time and not to far off mine, as I was born in the 60's.

Thank God Nora survived, I could hardly watch.

GeorginaWorsley Sun 17-Feb-13 21:32:22

I want nun and dr to end up together!
Agree awful back street abortions. We can never go back to that.

Pixel Sun 17-Feb-13 23:52:31

Very harrowing episode, but well acted. I was born in the sixties too but my mum had the coil as family history of heart disease meant she couldn't have the pill. I was wondering, when did people start being able to use 'rubber johnnies'? Was that after the fifties? I had the idea that they were around during the war but not sure where I got that from.

Still, couldn't help being a bit hmm that a woman could have eight children and not own a pair of knitting needles or a crochet hook!

Oodsigma Mon 18-Feb-13 06:55:26

They had condoms in an episode the other week. The girl on the boat said she used them

Condoms were around during the war. I'm not sure when they started being disposable though!

OddBoots Mon 18-Feb-13 08:19:31

I think it was cost that stopped her using condoms, hence the bit about the referral to family planning not being on the NHS.

mrsjay Mon 18-Feb-13 08:46:14

How harrowing was last nights very powerful I was sobbing that poor woman so desperate sad and then the sister in turmoil over the dishy doctor then the baby comp and poor trixie It was quite a hard watch tbh,

mrsjay Mon 18-Feb-13 08:49:56

I think it was cost that stopped her using condoms, hence the bit about the referral to family planning not being on the NHS.

yes you are right they couldn't afford to feed their kids never mind buying condoms when did contraceptive become free ? I also noticed noras 'better days' curtains had been sold to the nuns for the costumes <sob>

Yes, I thought it was the cost of condoms that prevented them using them.

hackmum Mon 18-Feb-13 09:05:28

I thought it was a shame in last night's episode that after such a powerful story (particularly the bit where they actually carried out the illegal abortion) they then tacked on a happy ending with the whole family roaming the fields of Harlow, Sound of Music style.

In the book, iirc, the early abortion doesn't work (which was the same as in last night's episode) but rather than have a late abortion, the couple just kill the baby after it's born.

mrsjay Mon 18-Feb-13 09:07:25

oh god hackmum shock I think that would have been far to much for sunday night telly I think people want a happyish ending ,

Oodsigma Mon 18-Feb-13 09:21:08

I didn't notice the curtain bit.

The worst thing with the family was that they obviously loved their kids but couldn't afford another and that made then desperate rather than 'just' not wanting one. The bit where she said about avoiding him too.

Clawdy Mon 18-Feb-13 10:36:28

I once asked my mum how it was she and quite a few of her friends only had two kids when there was no contraceptive pill. She said "We used the withdrawal method...men didn't like it but it usually worked..."

LIZS Mon 18-Feb-13 10:42:54

Had to flick over to DOI results when dd came in the room last night . Not sure it was really appropriate pre watershed. Harrowing sad

mrsjay Mon 18-Feb-13 10:53:53

Im not sure about the prewatershed viewing either LIZS but my youngest dd is 15 so I dont mind her watching it is a bit much especially last nights I thought it was a bit graphic

mrsjay Mon 18-Feb-13 10:54:15

infct really graphic*

alemci Mon 18-Feb-13 11:08:55

yes I thought it was a bit graphic before 9 o'clock. could they have not had the baby adopted after the birth rather than killing it as in the book.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now