Utopia

(131 Posts)
Rollergirl1 Tue 15-Jan-13 22:07:37

Is anyone watching? I think it looks really promising I think.

Oodsigma Fri 08-Feb-13 04:42:03

Ooh good theories here. Like the rabbits & the boy in the gym one

Fiderer Fri 08-Feb-13 08:10:21

The boy in the gym was shot, the opening credits came up and a shot was heard. Arby hesitating and registering that was the start of his beginning to question who he was, I think.

Agree there must be a connection between Arby and Jessica. He went from asking "Where is JH?" to find the manuscript and kill her, to asking "Where is JH?" because he thinks she has answers to his questions.

The name thing is interesting. I wonder if Jessica gave herself the surname Hyde because as a child she heard "Jessica, hide" all the time and/or in ref to Jekyll and Hyde, owing to her changed character caused by her childhood. She was on the run from the age of 4 and on her own at 10.

Rollergirl1 Fri 08-Feb-13 18:21:11

Yes, I think the fact that the boy was eating the same raisins as him brought him up short and made him reflect on himself as a boy and made him question why he is like the way he is.

Fiderer: Your ideas on Jessica's surname are really clever. But it made me think, have we actually seen how her surname is spelt? Where did Hyde spelt that way come from? Have we all just assumed that's how you spell it? They have already done a play on words with Arby and RB so it's very possible that Hyde is actually Hide?

Fiderer Sat 09-Feb-13 09:58:52

You're right, we haven't, I just assumed it was spelled "Hyde". Must be more careful <looks over shoulder>

I'm really enjoying all the wondering, I had a brilliant theory that Grant made up the "Mr Rabbit's name begins with an L" because he can't read (rarely at school) so it was a giant red herring. Brilliant till I realised he was on the Utopia forum so can type and can read grin

I can now admit (cos no one here will hmm at me) that I had googled to see if Arby was a real name. A US sandwich company exists, so-called because of the Raffel Brothers and I did wonder if Arby's real name was R.B. as initials - the fact that it came from his nickname and the raisins because no one knew his real name any more was far worse.

Fiderer Sat 09-Feb-13 11:45:44

Didn't mean to sound snotty, btw, with that 1st sentence. Reading it again it sounds a bit so - meant it as a "Ooh, yes, it could be either."

Back to say, was it the publisher who walked into the path of a lorry? Couldn't sleep last night and the knotty Utopia plot was a welcome diversion.

iwouldgoouttonight Sat 09-Feb-13 14:36:43

I think the Mr rabbit begging with L might still be a red herring, he only saw it briefly and maybe he saw it had an L in it but not necessarily at the beginning. So it could be Phillip Carvel, and we don't know for certain he is dead.

Definitely going to check the credits next week to see how Hyde is spelt!

<whispers> Fiderer, I googled Arby too!

iwouldgoouttonight Sat 09-Feb-13 14:37:45

Beginning not begging.

iwouldgoouttonight Sat 09-Feb-13 14:40:09

Yes they said it was the publisher.

SinisterBuggyMonth Sun 10-Feb-13 23:43:10

Peter and Jessica Rabbit, that is brilliant. If it aint in there it should be. Why do they both wear baggy leather jackets though?

Peter and Jessica rabbit! Why didn't I think of that?! Will pretend to dh that I did wink

BeQuicksieorBeDead Mon 11-Feb-13 18:59:13

Jazz I was just thinking the same thing! OH is going to be so impressed that I came up with that theory! Ha ha ha!

Rollergirl1 Tue 12-Feb-13 11:47:29

I was reading the Digital Spy forum the other day and there are some quite interesting theories on there. People were asking why did Grant give the gun to Alice? Is she in keeping with the "Rabbit" theme? Perhaps she is the key to finding Mr Rabbit, ala Alice in Wonderland? And apparently at the beginning of the first episode there was someone dressed up as a rabbit outside the comic shop. Not sure if that actually means anything though, is probably just a reference to Mr Rabbit.

Fakebook Tue 12-Feb-13 21:48:48

Hi I've been watching this from the start and wanted to ask:
In the first episode, did I imagine, or did Becky mention something about someone being in touch with the devil in Utopia part 1? When she was applying for the phd?

If that's right, then I think this story may take on a supernatural form and Mr Rabbit is satan. I found it a bit hard to believe someone, a mere mortal would be able to kill so many people in such a short time to protect his identity.

That's my theory anyway!

MadameBoolala Tue 12-Feb-13 22:47:54

Hells Bells this is grimmer than grim. I'm glad it's nearly finished.

Rollergirl1 Tue 12-Feb-13 23:18:17

Wow, that was absolutely fantastic! I'm gutted there's just one episode left.

Poor Grant. sad

crunchbag Tue 12-Feb-13 23:24:34

Is the 'assistant' Mr Rabbit?

AugustMoon Tue 12-Feb-13 23:29:17

I want to know what's in the manuscript, what RB has on his left rib (his gun is kept in his inside right pocket) why he limps / drags his feet. How did they frame grant? Will dugdale give the vaccine to the scientist - thought they'd fallen out when he tried to scarper with the results from the tests on the bit of finger!
Anyone who has any theories please tell me! I can't wait til next week!

AugustMoon Tue 12-Feb-13 23:30:06

Crunchbag, he could well be - 'I'm giving you an order'

maxmillie Tue 12-Feb-13 23:47:05

Never thought I'd say this but, poor Arby

Fiderer Wed 13-Feb-13 15:30:34

Brilliant TV again.

Dugdale - cowardly rat. Offering the children food to keep them there longer. How on earth did the police get there so quickly? And why did Ian give him the whole box?

Also wonder when Arby figured out Jessica was his sister. He was excellent in the scene in the café. I really felt for him trying to make conversation and that it was his local.

Hope Grant sits tight and tells the police he's the only one who knows where the missing manuscript pages are - only, agghh, what if they torture him?

Cannot believe next week's the last episode.

iwouldgoouttonight Tue 19-Feb-13 14:50:32

Looking forward to this tonight!! Just watched two preview clips on the channel 4 website, it's going to be good!

SinisterBuggyMonth Tue 19-Feb-13 20:36:17

I'm in, but might be C4+1. I'm liking the Mr Rabbit is satan theory, Lucifer has an L in it.

Oodsigma Tue 19-Feb-13 21:51:09

I'm recording, last one , hope it doesn't disappoint!

Rollergirl1 Tue 19-Feb-13 22:02:20

I'm almost nervous! I don't want it to end.

Rollergirl1 Tue 19-Feb-13 23:26:34

That was fucking brilliant!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now