Utopia

(131 Posts)
Rollergirl1 Tue 15-Jan-13 22:07:37

Is anyone watching? I think it looks really promising I think.

valiumredhead Fri 25-Jan-13 15:28:42

Just watched episode 1 - urghhhhhhhh!!

Will watch 2 over the weekend from behind a cushion!

dontsqueezetheteabag Mon 28-Jan-13 13:50:21

I had to keep asking DH what the bloody hell was going on?

Anyone prepared to give me an idiots guide? I found it really entertaining but totally didn't get it!!!!

confusedconfusedconfusedconfusedconfusedconfusedconfusedconfusedconfusedconfusedconfusedconfused

valiumredhead Mon 28-Jan-13 14:01:30

I'm not sure I could tell you tbh grin I found the second episode not as gripping as the first.

Jux Mon 28-Jan-13 15:47:40

I completely forgot it was on!

hackneybird Mon 28-Jan-13 22:26:46

Hi there teabag, why don't you read the guardian blog which has a helpful summary.

hackneybird Mon 28-Jan-13 22:31:19

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2013/jan/15/utopia-episode-by-episode

And here's the link!! Doh

PariahHairy Mon 28-Jan-13 22:40:44

Really enjoying this series, I too like the bright colours it does feel very surreal and dreamlike, the assassins are very odd, especially Neil Maskell who was great in kill list, he does seem very mind controlled/zombie like.

I don't think it will end up being as shallow as the drug company introducing the flu to sell vaccines (although, they obviously are). Jessica said, when Becky was going on about Corvadt that it was basically a tiny part of it all, think it will be a grander conspiracy.

Looking forward to the next 4 episodes, something different and interesting to watch for a change.

PariahHairy Mon 28-Jan-13 22:43:32

Although I am slightly confused in that the network was set up to combat the soviets weaponising various bacteria/viruses, so why would they now be doing the same thing?

Rollergirl1 Tue 29-Jan-13 14:29:59

I watched it last week but it wasn't anywhere near as good as the first episode. I think it was probably because Arby wasn't in it as much (and his character is excellent). Also Jessica is fucking annoying.

I thought they really concentrated on Grant's character in the last episode. He was a little gob-shite in the first but they really explored his fear in the last one. I thought it was brilliant when he meets Becky and hugs her. It just shows that underneath all the false bravado he's still just a little boy.

So what's going on with Becky then? Is she one of them?!

Looking forward to tonight's episode. The trailer for this week showed Arby saying "what happened to my parent's" so think we'll see a bit more of him.

Fiderer Tue 29-Jan-13 15:23:09

Agree it's very enjoyable, and very scary!

Occurred to me afterwards they didn't show Becky being arrested, she told Ian that on the phone - so she may be one of them, or part of another group.

Also, WilsonWilson was so sure about them not being trackable when she went online to check on his dad, how did the killer find the house they were in? Must have been Becky?

pictish Tue 29-Jan-13 15:26:44

I've been loving it!! Can't wait for tonight!

Rollergirl1 Tue 29-Jan-13 16:02:35

I think Becky must be working for another group that are also after the manuscript. Because Arby (and therefore The Network) already know that Grant has the manuscript as he stole it from them in the first place. So Becky must be telling someone else.

Fiderer Tue 29-Jan-13 16:35:36

Rollergirl1 Yes, you're right, hadn't thought of that.

Didn't get the PhD application bit. If her PhD was to be based on the manuscript, she must have had it/a copy. But from where? The one Grant has is the 2nd one but surely the university bods would be in danger having seen the 1st one?

BeQuicksieorBeDead Wed 30-Jan-13 08:18:21

I think the first one was a general release, as it has an internet forum.

I love this story, my oh has been put off by the violence but I think it shows the lengths these people will go to, without any remorse. If they were just making threats, or we didnt see the extent of the horror, we wouldn't feel the danger!

Reckon there will be some flack about the school shooting though...in light of recent events.

SpanishFly Wed 30-Jan-13 13:06:01

But anyone who says it's too violent is missing the whole point of the programme.

The programme itself is meant to look/be like a cult graphic novel - the bright colours, the odd way some of them behave and talk, etc.

In other words, the violence is part of the point of the programme. And "they" would go to any length - especially murder - to get their hands on the Utopia manuscript, which is thought to predict future disasters (and lead them to their Utopia)

Rollergirl1 Wed 30-Jan-13 13:41:59

I 100% agree with you SpanishFly, the violence is the point. And it could have been far more gratuitous. The school massacre was shot to show as little as possible for maximum effect.

Did anyone notice the doctors/pathologists take their masks off when re-entering the quarantine tent where Dugdale was hiding? If they're not concerned about infection it kind of suggests that there isn't a spanish flu epidemic after all?

And i agree even more now with what someone in the thread said a few weeks back, that Jessica and Arby have both been genetically modified somehow. Perhaps Jessica isn't Carvel's real daughter but his first creation?

valiumredhead Wed 30-Jan-13 17:11:10

Wow it was good this week - hooked me right back in! Graphic in the school when the child was shot <gulp>

I think the violence is valid -it's the whole point as mentioned above.

Rollergirl1 Wed 30-Jan-13 17:20:17

I also think the soundtrack is amazing and is perfect for the series.

valiumredhead Wed 30-Jan-13 17:53:21

Yeah, the music is fab!

recall Wed 30-Jan-13 18:00:13

"where is Jessica Hyde ?" <<shudder>>

crunchbag Wed 30-Jan-13 19:02:28

Weird, brutal and highly addictive, I am enjoying it!

Oodsigma Wed 30-Jan-13 21:18:54

Just caught up. More confused than ever. Trying to decide who is in which group/ good/ bad etc is giving me a headache.

BeQuicksieorBeDead Wed 30-Jan-13 22:04:08

Arby is broken isn't he! In the first episode I thought he was just very cold and hard, now I think he is a malfunctioning robot!

Fiderer Thu 31-Jan-13 06:54:14

The childhood theme was really well done - especially Arby and Grant.

Also think the colours and the music are mesmerizing, e.g. where the scientist runs away from Dugdale. Wonder if the Network are on to the scientist? They seem to know everything.

Why didn't the man in the car not just go and shoot them in the farmhouse?

I'm really enjoying this, I love the colours and music too. I was thinking that Jessica and Arby were 'created' by Jessica's dad. Although now I'm wondering about Arby's stomach, it looks wrong, not just fat but an odd shape, and there seems to be a lot of focus on it. Wondering if that's the result of 'rabbit' being sliced onto it? Is he Mr rabbit??

I am probably over thinking this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now