Anyone watching Growing Up Poor?

(133 Posts)
besmirchedandbewildered Wed 09-Jan-13 21:51:39

On BBC3 now.

Tough times, and they are so young sad

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 22-Jan-13 09:25:51

Wonder who the dad of shelbys baby was? Didnt seem to have a boyfriend (not that that matters iyswim) and her life was going so well and trying so hard sad

She or any of the young mums now have any chance of getting a job and getting out of their lifestyles sad

Will def donate some money - thanks for email and account

BrendanLondon Mon 21-Jan-13 23:34:28

Thank you babyboomersrock I will contact petra

babyboomersrock Mon 21-Jan-13 22:49:58

Here it is...

"However if you specifically wish to help the young people in the film, items can be sent to our office at 49a Oxford Road South, London W4 3DD and will be passed on to Bridie, Amber and Shelby. However if you do send anything to our office, please also include postage to cover the cost of sending your gift on. If you wish to send a cheque, please make it payable to The Aletheia Foundation. If you want to make an online transfer please credit Aletheia Foundation, AC No. 22637907, Sort Code 60-05-30. And please make it clear to whom you would like any gift to go. If you want further information, email Petra on petra@aletheiafoundation.org.uk who can give you details."

babyboomersrock Mon 21-Jan-13 22:45:33

BrendanLondon - there was a note on the programme website telling viewers how they could donate to individual young people - the money will be passed to them through the programme.

BrendanLondon Mon 21-Jan-13 17:59:32

I couldnt agree more with PaulMichael as just watched Shelby on bbc iplayer and opened up an acccount on 'mumsnet' just to say something about this lovely girl.
I felt really sorry for the girl as she was trying so hard and was prepared to work and budget for her necessities rather than just spending it aimlessly, pity about the pregnancy side of things as she seemed to want to get her life in order before having a child.

If it was possible I would happily donate some money directly to her to help her out as feel that she truly deserves a break.

Brendan
PS. Just about to watch the boys one now so hope there are some lads who are trying their hardest in difficult circumstances.

Molehillmountain Sun 20-Jan-13 20:02:55

Poor girls and those like them. They get blamed for what I get congratulated for-meeting the expectations people have for me given my childhood circumstances. Only difference-I was a doctor's daughter growing up in a nice suburb. So people expected me to do well and end up with a degree and a stable job/profession. Bridie and shelby would be doing the equivalent of me rising to the absolute top of my profession just by breaking out of the cycle of poverty. I find it amazing that some do and I so hope those girls get some kind of lucky break from being on telly. That programme sumultaneously broke my heart and made me want to hug my children.

mumzy Sun 20-Jan-13 19:01:35

I've just watched both programmes and just felt sad for all the young people involved. The boys seemed to have more determination to make something of their lives but maybe that's because unlike the girls they don't have the depressing option of getting pregnant very young in order to validate themselves. What I noticed was the lack of family stability for these kids and the very real possibility that the children of these young people will mirror their own. I think the programme did a brilliant job of highligted the issues of family breakdown and lack of employment opportunities for young people.

Winternight Sat 19-Jan-13 20:49:26

The boys one was equally heartbreaking sad

Piemother Sat 19-Jan-13 15:07:48

I thought the mum of wes' baby was c sensible but sounded old before her time and world weary hmm

JakeBullet Fri 18-Jan-13 17:35:18

Just seen the Boys one...so sad...trying to make a difference to their lives in difficult circumstances. Was very struck by me of the girlfriends (who was mother to their child) who said the boys make silly decisions and are too immature to be Dads really. Felt so sad for her struggling without any realisation that she was perhaps not any more mature but had to pull everything together because she was responsible for a baby in equally difficult circumstances.

impty Fri 18-Jan-13 16:00:42

The boys one was a bit less heart breaking. I was a bit shock at the mum if the boy who joined the army. He was thrown out but she was pregnant, it appeared. Not nice, not nice at all.

PuffPants Fri 18-Jan-13 13:02:14

Guns, Frankie mugged a boy and broke his jaw. He went to Feltham for two years for it. It's a part of his very recent past.

zukiecat Fri 18-Jan-13 10:40:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Booyhoo Fri 18-Jan-13 03:28:34

guns i think frankie broke the jaw of the boy he tried to mug. that's why he got 2 years.

GunsAndRoses Thu 17-Jan-13 23:36:20

I missed the programme about the girls and Shelby. Is there anyway I can catch up? I watched the one yesterday about the lads and their struggles. It was so sad. It was frustrating to see the young lad who was doing his computer course desperatly trying to get employed and feeling "blacklisted" because he got a criminal record when he was a child. Unless he physically harmed someone then I think his record should be wiped clean. He seems sorted now though and I hope he achieves all that he wants to achieve. I felt sorry for the lad who wanted to join the army particularly when his mate said he wanted to live a little before he went into combat knowing that he could lose his life. The lad didn't want to be "bumming" around like his dad living on benefits. These youngsters and many more like them deserve a chance. They are just so vulnerable.

PaintedAlice Thu 17-Jan-13 23:08:35

You can donate specifically to one or more of the young people by bank transfer (the money goes straight to them) or send an item by post through this website here:

http://truevisiontv.com/films/details/163/growing-up-poor-girls

I just sent Shelby £20. I'm lucky enough that I won't miss that too much and her attitude and commitment moved me to tears. If she wants to spend it all on cigarettes, I hope she really enjoys them but hopefully she'll receive a fair bit from her behaviour on the programme, and I have faith that she'll use it wisely.

Piemother Thu 17-Jan-13 22:41:36

Anyone watched Lads?
So far they a bit more promising than the girls.

Re the council housing. They don't redecorate any more but if the condition is god awful enough they give you a voucher for paint etc and you have to do it yourself but you have to argue for this voucher and they won't offer hmm
The flooring thing is so infuriating - they could put something basic down and add a couple of quid on the rent for a couple of years to cover it. I have had clients who can't scratch the money together (for various reasons I'm not judging) for years for flooring so it's always dirty and freezing hmm I think this really adds to the misery/poverty cycle hmm

JakeBullet Thu 17-Jan-13 18:37:54

When I was a HV, I embarked on a protest about crappy housing. I started making complaints regularly to the council and also photographed mouldy walls and ceilings which I uploaded onto the medical records of children and babies. I pointed out that breathing in mould spores was setting young babies and children up for a childhood full of respiratory illnesses.

Do you know where it got me....and more importantly the families in my care? Nowhere at all....in the worst cases the council might come along and put in humidifiers which cost families extra to have running as often as needed. Usually though they did nothing, there were no properties to move the families into and the most they could offer was a few more housing points which might increase the family's priority for moving. sadsad

bluecarrot Thu 17-Jan-13 18:09:49

peach have you spoken to citizens advice? If you had damp around windows from condensation it's fair enough to say its your problem ( as I experienced) but what you are describing seems to be a major fault and your health is at serious risk. Hopefully someone at CAB will be able to give you advice. Failing that, newspapers? Local MP?

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 16-Jan-13 22:48:35

That's awful peach sad

When my great grandma died we had to rip out her carpets that had been fitted about 6 months beforehand and were in perfect condition (were still producing extra fluff they were so new looking) we also had to take out the blinds that had been specially sized for those windows - the new tenants didn't even get a chance to say if they wanted them or not first!
We agreed with the flat manger that they could store the carpet for a few weeks and offer it to the new tenants. They werent supposed to do that but knew how good the carpets were and that they wouldn't really go anywhere else but the bin/recycling centre as the rooms were quite small and weirdly shaped.
I don't know if the new tenants took them but I like to think that they didnt go to waste!

I remember some of my school friends not having any carpet for years because their house didn't come with it and they couldn't afford to get them.

Booyhoo Wed 16-Jan-13 21:01:00

peach that is shocking!

i agree. i hear people go on about other being 'given' hmm council houses and how they get everything done for them and i know it's bollocks but i really didn't realise it was that bad. sad

i've always been a private tenant, mostly because until last year i didn't realise that anyone could apply for a council house (blush @ my ignorance) and i used to be a bit envious of council tenants being able to decorate how they liked but after reading so much on MN i realise there are far more important things than just being able to paint. my mum is constantly nagging me to go get my name down because "they give you a big garden and a shed and everything gets done for you". i know that she is just repeating ignorant myths she has heard from other ignorant people.

so sorry you are in this situation. it is awful.

(boys' programme on bbcthree now)

Some will even charge tenants for removing them if they leave carpets behind, even if they were nice ones that the next tenant would have loved hmm

scarlettsmummy2 Wed 16-Jan-13 20:47:21

Gixer... Wow. I haven't seen the programme yet, but I can imagine what it's like. I work on an employment programme and your level of ignorance is astounding.

PeachActiviaMinge Wed 16-Jan-13 20:45:24

When we moved into our council house there were holes in the floor the bathroom had been wallpapered and had mould everywhere the hallway quickly devolped black mould too as has the back door and electric cupboard. It took me 3 years to get them to do something about the hallway which was painting it with anti-mould paint and it obviously hasn't worked as its now starting to come back sad In cold weather the walls run with water and the house is freezing even though its insulated. The blinds I brought in the bedroom are mouldy now at the bottom I had to move my bed from one wall after it devolped mould.

The council says the house is fine its our fault if we get damp mould everywhere in the damn shithole they won't do a bloody thing. I'm nearly 6 months pregnant and I don't know how the fuck I'm supposed to move a baby into this hellhole but I can't afford to move we're on benefits I can't afford to try anything more than I have already which includes just about every anti mould/cleaning spray out there and various dehumidifiers. I can't not switch the heating on when its below 10c in the house and we're devoloping nasty chilblains on our toes from having baths.

Thats the truth of social housing this is what people complain we get "for free" its shit I'd love your beautiful warm mould free homes but I doubt I'll ever get that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now