Anyone watching Growing Up Poor?

(133 Posts)
besmirchedandbewildered Wed 09-Jan-13 21:51:39

On BBC3 now.

Tough times, and they are so young sad

Winternight Sat 19-Jan-13 20:49:26

The boys one was equally heartbreaking sad

mumzy Sun 20-Jan-13 19:01:35

I've just watched both programmes and just felt sad for all the young people involved. The boys seemed to have more determination to make something of their lives but maybe that's because unlike the girls they don't have the depressing option of getting pregnant very young in order to validate themselves. What I noticed was the lack of family stability for these kids and the very real possibility that the children of these young people will mirror their own. I think the programme did a brilliant job of highligted the issues of family breakdown and lack of employment opportunities for young people.

Molehillmountain Sun 20-Jan-13 20:02:55

Poor girls and those like them. They get blamed for what I get congratulated for-meeting the expectations people have for me given my childhood circumstances. Only difference-I was a doctor's daughter growing up in a nice suburb. So people expected me to do well and end up with a degree and a stable job/profession. Bridie and shelby would be doing the equivalent of me rising to the absolute top of my profession just by breaking out of the cycle of poverty. I find it amazing that some do and I so hope those girls get some kind of lucky break from being on telly. That programme sumultaneously broke my heart and made me want to hug my children.

BrendanLondon Mon 21-Jan-13 17:59:32

I couldnt agree more with PaulMichael as just watched Shelby on bbc iplayer and opened up an acccount on 'mumsnet' just to say something about this lovely girl.
I felt really sorry for the girl as she was trying so hard and was prepared to work and budget for her necessities rather than just spending it aimlessly, pity about the pregnancy side of things as she seemed to want to get her life in order before having a child.

If it was possible I would happily donate some money directly to her to help her out as feel that she truly deserves a break.

PS. Just about to watch the boys one now so hope there are some lads who are trying their hardest in difficult circumstances.

babyboomersrock Mon 21-Jan-13 22:45:33

BrendanLondon - there was a note on the programme website telling viewers how they could donate to individual young people - the money will be passed to them through the programme.

babyboomersrock Mon 21-Jan-13 22:49:58

Here it is...

"However if you specifically wish to help the young people in the film, items can be sent to our office at 49a Oxford Road South, London W4 3DD and will be passed on to Bridie, Amber and Shelby. However if you do send anything to our office, please also include postage to cover the cost of sending your gift on. If you wish to send a cheque, please make it payable to The Aletheia Foundation. If you want to make an online transfer please credit Aletheia Foundation, AC No. 22637907, Sort Code 60-05-30. And please make it clear to whom you would like any gift to go. If you want further information, email Petra on who can give you details."

BrendanLondon Mon 21-Jan-13 23:34:28

Thank you babyboomersrock I will contact petra

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 22-Jan-13 09:25:51

Wonder who the dad of shelbys baby was? Didnt seem to have a boyfriend (not that that matters iyswim) and her life was going so well and trying so hard sad

She or any of the young mums now have any chance of getting a job and getting out of their lifestyles sad

Will def donate some money - thanks for email and account

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now