Royle Family....worst yet?

(83 Posts)
Clawdy Wed 26-Dec-12 09:57:27

The last Christmas specials have been dire. The remaining four main characters are caricatures of themselves,and the complete absence of Denise and Dave's two children (even at their Christmas dinner!!) is ridiculous. It's become crude and embarassing,and Caroline Aherne should have stopped after The Queen Of Sheba,and just left us with fond memories.....

aladdinsane Wed 26-Dec-12 10:01:16

Agree, I stopped watching its time to let it go

sooperdooper Wed 26-Dec-12 10:02:26

I felt like all the characters have become horribly unpleasant and totally unlikable. Jim used to come across as a lovable rogue, but now he's just a lazy bully with no redeeming features at all, we all found it too depressing to enjoy

jungletoes Wed 26-Dec-12 10:15:27

It was a bit ridiculous in places but I loved it.

ISawSantaKissingThePortlyPinUp Wed 26-Dec-12 10:20:02

We thought it was dire.

Horsemad Wed 26-Dec-12 10:53:08

We enjoyed it.

merlottits Wed 26-Dec-12 11:03:34

Utterly cringeworthy and dreadful. I adored the subtlety of The Royle family but it is now a parody of itself. Poor, poor writing. I had to switch it off or I would have developed a repetitive strain injury from cringing.

I agree with you merlottits. sad

Where was Anthony? And Cheryl?

HoHoHokeyCokeyPigInAPokey Wed 26-Dec-12 11:14:25

It was awful, i used to love it and cried buckets at Queen of Sheba.

It's so terrible now, the last xmas one was dire but this was just ridiculous.

Such a shame.

vjg13 Wed 26-Dec-12 11:15:46

Dreadful, BBC should stop wasting money on this now.

cocolepew Wed 26-Dec-12 11:16:05

The caravan one was the worst. I liked last nights, though it got very stupid with the dating stuff.

Gumby Wed 26-Dec-12 11:18:03

I quite enjoyed it!

Nancy66 Wed 26-Dec-12 11:35:51

Very disappointing.

Defiintely time to let it go now.

I thought the one with the new sofa was ok but the one in the caravan was terrible and this the worst yet.

Ricky Tomlinson overacts like mad.

LadyBeagleBaublesandBells Wed 26-Dec-12 12:35:13

I agree, it was crap.
And Jim is just a crude bully.

FunnysFuckingFreezing Wed 26-Dec-12 12:37:05

it was awful and has been for a good few years now. I still made a point of watching it, but gave up half way through

Garnier Wed 26-Dec-12 12:47:43

really really hate jim and that arm waving business he does, and he did it even more last night. No anthony or cheryl who are hilarious characters. Did not like the new neighbour either.

BoiledEggandToastSoldiers Wed 26-Dec-12 12:58:46

Was really, really poor, switched off. agree it is now a parody of itself.

kerstina Wed 26-Dec-12 13:05:06

I love the Royle family but was disappointed with last nights episode. My mom was adamant it was a repeat which shows how samey it was. I loved the caravan one though.

whistlestopcafe Wed 26-Dec-12 13:13:31

When the Royle Family first started they were an ordinary working class family and you could relate to certain aspects. Now they are more like a family off the Jeremy Kyle show, I honestly don't know anyone as thick as they are.

I liked the Christmas episode two years ago with Saskia. Saskia added a touch of normality to it.

whistlestopcafe Wed 26-Dec-12 13:16:12

Also the review in the Radio Times was wrong. It said that Barbara had gone overboard with presents from the Pound Shop. confused

judefawley Wed 26-Dec-12 13:18:07

Our kids really wanted to watch it, so we let them.

It was so inappropriate for a 10 year old! (I know it wasn't on at a suitable time so it totally serves us right).

We enjoyed it though, mostly because the kids laughed like drains at the neighbour's dinner dates.

In the cold light of day though; it was quite bad.

GW297 Wed 26-Dec-12 13:33:02

Last years was terrible. This years wasn't as bad as that but still disappointing. Same with Outnumbered - kids too old!

Nancy66 Wed 26-Dec-12 13:46:39

i was expecting there to be some punchline to 'Dave's dickie' - with it not being something entirely different from what we were all assuming.

RedTinsel Wed 26-Dec-12 14:02:38

It was only half watching. Was there any explanation as to why Denise's kids weren't at Xmas dinner?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now