Last Tango In Halifax

(93 Posts)
SpanishFly Wed 05-Dec-12 13:52:44

Anyone been watching this? I didn't think I'd enjoy it much but it's so sweet and heartwarming. I'm thoroughly enjoying it smile

MadameBoolala Tue 18-Dec-12 21:59:28

Missed the first 20 minutestonight - what did Derek confess to?

InExitCelsisDeo Tue 18-Dec-12 22:42:42

His daughter stood and watched her husband die. He committed suicide but was not dead - she didn't phone an ambulance, just the police once he had gone. She told her Dad, so he thinks he is an accomplice to manslaughter.

I am sure there is a word for when you fail to take action to save someone, but can't think what it is.

ChippingInLovesChristmasLights Tue 18-Dec-12 22:45:03

He told Celia that when Geraldine's husband attempted suicide she found him still alive but just stood and watched him die, rather than getting help. She told her Dad straight away, but he's always kept her secret - he feels Celia should know before they get married that he did this.

ChippingInLovesChristmasLights Tue 18-Dec-12 22:45:46

Sensible

ChippingInLovesChristmasLights Tue 18-Dec-12 22:46:26

No, probably not the word you were looking for grin

But he does sound like a nasty bit of work and he wanted to take his own life...

ChippingInLovesChristmasLights Tue 18-Dec-12 22:47:11

... and it's a TV series - I wouldn't be quite this blase if it were RL (though it could have happened as it's based on the writers RL)

diddl Wed 19-Dec-12 08:31:49

Accessory after the fact?

carbondated Wed 19-Dec-12 10:31:32

Oh really? A second series. Brilliant. I was just discussing that possibility with SIL yesterday. I was surprised at Celia being so horrified about Caroline being a Lesbian. She seems so cool about so many things.

thenightsky Wed 19-Dec-12 10:37:55

Last episode is tonight... not next week shock

LittleBairn Wed 19-Dec-12 17:55:29

shock just as well I popped in tonight I would have been pissed off to miss the last Ep.

Found the 'manslaughter' reveal a bit OTT and dark fr the tne of this show.
Plus how odd that Gillian is suddenly prepared to fall for her BIL after making her life a misery for years.
Liking Caroline being out and proud.

InExitCelsisDeo Wed 19-Dec-12 18:57:30

Gillian seems prepared to bed virtually anyone.

Accessory after the fact - yes that is the terminology - althought it always sounds like a fascinator that you couldn't find before the big day.

MadameBoolala Wed 19-Dec-12 20:02:10

Thanks for the info, thought it was something like that.

ChunkyPickle Wed 19-Dec-12 20:12:44

I was watching the last episode, thinking how much Celia and Derek reminded me of Teal and Abney, then, as if they'd been listening to me one of them all but said 'That was an adventure' just like Abney and Teal do at the end of each episode! So now I just can't stop hearing everything they say in cartoon voices :S

I have come very late to this (only started watching yesterday!) but have enjoyed what I have seen.

CuriousMama Wed 19-Dec-12 21:25:35

I've been laughing my socks off tonight grin

I'm loving the laissez faire attitude of Gillian with everyone setting in at hers.

Oooo it's the meal. Celia is a good actress, coming across as a right cow!

CuriousMama Wed 19-Dec-12 21:28:51

Derek's so lovely poor man.

LittleBairn Wed 19-Dec-12 21:55:06

Oh no please let everything be ok!

theliverpoolone Wed 19-Dec-12 22:02:29

Phew! A lovely ending, and Celia redeemed herself (although I had hoped she might have chucked away the Daily Mail grin.

LittleBairn Wed 19-Dec-12 22:04:54

Thank god a happy ending.
grin immediately though of this place when they mentioned the Daily mail.

gypsyfloss Wed 19-Dec-12 22:09:48

That made me cry. I thought Celia was wonderful as a bitch, she and Caroline did fantastic filthy looks.

Did I read somewhere that it's based on a true story?

MadameBoolala Wed 19-Dec-12 22:15:35

Oh I wept at this tonight.

3littlefrogs Wed 19-Dec-12 22:17:53

I have really enjoyed this. I think it is really well written and has so much attention to detail. It makes you laugh one minute and cry the next.

(It calls to mind a series I really enjoyed about 25 years ago called "The Beiderbeck Affair").

I thought Derek Jacobi was wonderful in "I Claudius".

How old is he?

theliverpoolone Wed 19-Dec-12 22:28:17

He's 74 according to wiki.

Wishfulmakeupping Wed 19-Dec-12 22:31:04

Sky plus clipping the very end off where Celia was telling Alan about Kate playing the organ- was there anything else after that?

InExitCelsisDeo Wed 19-Dec-12 22:31:20

I loved the Beiderbeck Affair - happy memories.

Howled with laughter at the Daily Mail references.

Fabulous acting from everyone, looking forward to the next series.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now