Last Tango In Halifax

(93 Posts)
SpanishFly Wed 05-Dec-12 13:52:44

Anyone been watching this? I didn't think I'd enjoy it much but it's so sweet and heartwarming. I'm thoroughly enjoying it smile

CuriousMama Thu 06-Dec-12 22:19:46

Ruth grin

I didn't know that BikeRunSki?

BikeRunSki Thu 06-Dec-12 23:01:37

It said so in the paper. Can't remember which one - we were at the PIL's and FIL gets about 4 on a Saturday.

CuriousMama Fri 07-Dec-12 14:18:50

Found this you're right BRS, what a lovely story smile

Writer Sally Wainwright based the story on the experience of her mother Dorothy who was put in touch with her childhood sweetheart Alec via Friends Reunited after being widowed at the ago of 75. Alec had also recently been widowed. The couple fell in love all over again and got married.

WhoKnowsWhereTheMistletoes Fri 07-Dec-12 23:10:25

I'm just watching this week's now after someone recommended it on another thread. I'm really enjoying it, some great acting.

Lech bloke really gave me the creeps in the first episode, the scene in the supermarket, then when it emerged he was engaged that made hime even worse. Hard to feel much sympathy for him to be honest, although no one deserves to be beaten like that. I guess Gillian is lonely and suffering with low self esteem, which is why she's latched onto Caroline's husband now.

I don't like Robbie at all. Or Caroline's husband. Or any of the sons. But Alan and all the female characters are great (with the possible exception of Judith).

CuriousMama Tue 11-Dec-12 21:06:38

It's on now smile

DorsetKnobwithJingleBellsOn Tue 11-Dec-12 21:08:30

It was in the Daily Mail blush

We are loving it in our house.

CuriousMama Tue 11-Dec-12 22:39:53

That hour goes over too quickly.

InExitCelsisDeo Tue 11-Dec-12 22:43:28

Love it. And we also keep shouting, oh look, it's the Co-op in Marsden, or oh look, that's where we park when we go out.

CuriousMama Tue 11-Dec-12 23:02:33

grin It's great when your home town's on telly.

rufussmum Wed 12-Dec-12 17:39:45

Is it just me or is the Jacobi character a tedious, sentimental bore with a prissy, cat's-arse mouth and bad hair? He gives me the creeps.

jessiegeesusinamanger Wed 12-Dec-12 21:27:38

I so want to like him Rufus but I agree with you. There's something repellent about him.

SpanishFly Wed 12-Dec-12 22:06:15

Awww I think he's lovely

ChippingInAWinterWonderland Wed 12-Dec-12 22:42:18

There are only two more episodes in this series (I hope there's another series!!) and they are both next week. Just thought some people who don't auto record might like to know smile

drownangels Thu 13-Dec-12 11:43:00

Me and DS1 are enjoying it.
I did think that this weeks episode was simply to get Celia and Alan out of the way so they could put the other characters 'point of view' out there and let them tell their own stories and do some scene setting.

a second series has been commisioned apparently.

My betting is that Alan dies due to his dicky heart before they get married! DS1 said I was heartless when I said my theory. (hope I'm wrong though)

Jingleflobba Thu 13-Dec-12 11:47:04

They film some of it really near me too! The shots up on the moors are so close you can see my village smile
Carolines husband was in My Parents are aliens ages ago, he did stand up with Dr Phil Hammond. Didn't realise he could slimy so well...

Wishfulmakeupping Thu 13-Dec-12 11:55:08

Ive been loving this series, only 2 more episodes sad hope the new series is back quickly

diddl Thu 13-Dec-12 12:52:01

I think it´s great.

I have a feeling that they won´t get married-not sure why though.

I like both the Celia & Alan characters.

They´re so different, though.

And him having been happily married before.

The guy playing John-think he´s in supermarket ad atm?

jessiegeesusinamanger Thu 13-Dec-12 18:26:23

Even though I'm not keen on Jacobi's 'Alan', I'm desperate for him not to die of a heart attack before Celia and he are married. Surely they can't have a sad ending?!!!!!

drownangels Thu 13-Dec-12 18:55:55

Jessie He is going to forget to take his heart tablets and collapse at the wheel of his Lexus on his way to meet Celia for their wedding.
Celia will think that he has stood her up as pay back from all those years ago!

jessiegeesusinamanger Fri 14-Dec-12 21:17:08

Oh angels that would be AWFUL. It's a comedy drama though so I'm hoping for a more feel-good ending smile

GreatCongas Fri 14-Dec-12 21:27:43

Thanks for the double episode reminder

drownangels Sat 15-Dec-12 13:27:00

jessie me too!!

I was only joking!! (so hope I'm wrong though, I do like Derek Jacobi)
Maybe the twist is that Celia dies which would be a shock as she is the more 'studier' of the two!

InExitCelsisDeo Sat 15-Dec-12 22:32:11

Derek is fab. Stop it with your doom mongering.

Did you mean sturdier?

drownangels Sun 16-Dec-12 22:32:06

inexit I was only having a joke. I want a happy ending! Yes I did mean sturdier.

BaconAndAvocado Mon 17-Dec-12 20:25:56

Am loving this series too, the script is superb and very true to life.

Don't want it to end! Very pleased that someone said there's a second series in the offing smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now