Last Tango In Halifax

(93 Posts)
SpanishFly Wed 05-Dec-12 13:52:44

Anyone been watching this? I didn't think I'd enjoy it much but it's so sweet and heartwarming. I'm thoroughly enjoying it smile

Mumofthreeteens Wed 05-Dec-12 14:29:04

I have really enjoyed it so far. Amazed Derek Jacobi is still alive, he was in I Claudius when I was a kid.

Clayhead Wed 05-Dec-12 14:29:47

It's had much more to it than I thought it would. Some great acting.

GreatCongas Wed 05-Dec-12 14:41:19

He's been busy doing in the night garden until now

I've been watching it. It's intriguing and I can't sense where it is going

SpanishFly Wed 05-Dec-12 14:49:33

I have to say I'm a bit confused as to why Gillian would hv had sex with that creepy guy - he treats her appallingly and is lechy. She seemed disgusted by him, so it's a bit weird.

And yes, Derek Jacobi has always seemed to be that age!

carabos Wed 05-Dec-12 16:36:09

spanishfly I agree - how and why would she get involved with such a creep - and he's young enough to be her son? Actually, her calling up Caroline's husband creeped me out a bit too - I'm wondering if she's a predator? She's the least sympathetic of the characters.

Caroline is hilarious - great acting from Sarah Lancashire.

diddl Wed 05-Dec-12 17:31:30

It´s great, isn´t it?

I love Anne Reid-loved it when she slapped the SIL.

And Sarah Lancashire is good as well.

All interesting characters.

Wingedharpy Wed 05-Dec-12 17:34:45

I've been really enjoying this too though I missed it last night due to life intruding on my telly viewing.
I came to the conclusion that Gillian was just using the creepy guy for sexual gratification purposes only - she doesn't want a relationship with anyone as she's no time and it's too complicated or it could possibly have something to do with the reason her husband committed suicide...........
Who knows? - at least it's less complicated than Homeland!

OodKingWenceslas Wed 05-Dec-12 17:47:50

I'm loving it too.

I`m loving it, I throught the creepy youngster Gillian was having sex with was horrible, but of course I started feeling really sorry for him last night.

ChippingInLovesAutumn Wed 05-Dec-12 18:10:12

I've really enjoyed it so far too, though I made encouraged a friend to watch it last night and it wasn't as good as the first ones... I hope it was just a little dip.

GreatCongas Wed 05-Dec-12 18:38:55

Not sure she could be his mum. I would have put him at around 30 and she's what? 40
And dh wonders why I'm always looking these sorts of things up

SpanishFly Wed 05-Dec-12 18:47:03

winged at first I'd wondered if it was just an uncomplicated sexual thing, but choosing someone who's engaged doesn't seem uncomplicated smile

jessiegeesusinamanger Thu 06-Dec-12 10:42:55

I watched the first 2 episodes on iplayer last night because 2 of my friends were raving about it. I thought I'd hate it but am absolutely loving it. Such great acting and somehow it's believable! I haven't enjoyed a tv drama as much for years and years.

rocketupbum Thu 06-Dec-12 14:35:35

I think it's great too, fab acting too. I got married in the hall they are now locked in!

GreatCongas Thu 06-Dec-12 15:18:04

Is it spooky?

CuriousMama Thu 06-Dec-12 15:27:03

No GreatCongas that's Crickley grin

I love it too. The acting's fantastic and you really don't know where it's going? Plus it's a bit of a mystery.

I think Gillian rang Caroline's husband as she has no friends?

diddl Thu 06-Dec-12 17:12:15

Another thing I like & I don´t mean this to be offensive, is that the actors are quite ordinary looking.

You could quite feasibly see them together.

No middle aged paunchy husband with a trophy wife.

diddl Thu 06-Dec-12 17:13:43

I have a terrible feeling that they won´t get married.

Perhaps they´ll find that they´ve changed too much.

marleybrodie Thu 06-Dec-12 20:11:32

Loving this filmed not too far away from me.
Thought it sounded far too cheesey....but it's great viewing.

BackforGood Thu 06-Dec-12 20:21:42

Haven't watched this week's yet, but I too have really enjoyed the first 2 episodes. Great cast. Lots of different bits of storyline you can see developing. Have to agree though about the sex with the leech! I mean - you wouldn't, would you ??? confused

CuriousMama Thu 06-Dec-12 20:23:47

I think Nicola Walker (Gillian) is a fantastic actress. She was great in Spooks too.

GreatCongas Thu 06-Dec-12 20:46:45

Yes she's very human isn't she. I keep expecting people to call her Ruth though

Santaslittlemisshelper Thu 06-Dec-12 20:49:15

I'm enjoying it, only watched it to spot local areas and rather disappointed that it hasn't really shown much of Halifax!

BikeRunSki Thu 06-Dec-12 21:08:16

I like that it us based on the writer's mum's real-life experience.

And that I can shout and point at the telling saying "Been there!".

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now