anyone talking about masterchef-the professionals?

(348 Posts)

If not then consider this the start of the thread.

I think the wrong person went out last night. Poor girl, the guy they chose over her really got in by the skin of his teeth!

Veritate Thu 20-Dec-12 21:16:00

It does make me laugh when viewers express strong opinions about which one was best. We've none of us tasted what they cooked, how can anyone conceivably say the judges were wrong?

WickedGirl Mon 17-Dec-12 17:46:33

I felt sorry for Oli but I'm glad the other 2 both won.

They all worked so hard and should all be really proud with their achievements.

WildWorld2004 Sat 15-Dec-12 10:32:40

I really liked Oli's food. I am a fussy eater & dont like fancy food but i wanted to taste near enough every single dish he made. He also seemed like he knew he didnt know it all & wanted to learn. A lot of contestants are arrogant & think they know it all. I hope Oli does well for himself.

I am glad Keri won. Not sure about Anton though.

MirandaWest Fri 14-Dec-12 23:05:20

Have finally watched this - have had to be ignoring this thread on threads I'm on grin

I was happy with the decision smile

Jux Fri 14-Dec-12 19:13:26

I got the impression that Michel made the decisions, just discussed them with Greg (for the benefit of the cameras). How many times has he said "I know who I'm putting through", when they've got it down to 2 maybes?

I agree with what reddwarf said upthread. I was 100% behind the decision i think it was fairest because i genuinely believe that there has never been such a close final in MC before.

Tanith Fri 14-Dec-12 18:01:30

The Fat Duck episode reminded me of Willy Wonka's chocolate factory smile

Lots of clever, innovative experimentation going on and I'm sure he has pioneered some great techniques.

Although I did love the Mad Hatter's Teaparty for its cleverness, not sure if I'd want to spoil the effect by actually eating it!

reddwarf Fri 14-Dec-12 17:42:03

He seemed like such an amazingly nice bloke didn't he? SHows you don't have to be a total arsehole to be a talented, perfectionist, high quality chef.

Brugmansia Fri 14-Dec-12 17:12:56

I'd like to know Tom Kerridge's reaction. I bet he's brimming with pride for them both.

reddwarf Fri 14-Dec-12 15:46:07

thing is, they (keri & Anton) seemed to get on very well together, and worked well together and seeemd to have mutual respect, so I thing they would each be pleased for each other and not feel robbed or cheated, it was literally win-win, neither lost out by the other also being rewarded.

I was pleased with the result.

Gracelo Fri 14-Dec-12 14:59:37

That's the problem with having an even number of judges, they need someone to cast the deciding vote. Monica should have been there. I trust her judgement a lot more than I trust GW.
I didn't fancy Anton's desert at all. I'm sure it was nice and perfectly executed but I don't like chocolate and caramel together and am not overly fond of bananas. On a menu, I would have gone for Olli's pudding.

Tanith Fri 14-Dec-12 14:09:41

I usually hate banoffee pie: far too sweet for me. I really, really wanted to try Anton's version, though!

That's why I think he was the better of the two. Almost every recipe of his in the last couple of weeks, I thought he'd blown it by over-reaching himself and mixing ingredients you'd never have thought would go together. And each time, he made them work really, really well.

OhYouMerryLittleKitten Fri 14-Dec-12 11:14:39

On reflection, I hated the decision. I wanted Keri to win, but I thought Antons food showed a little bit more creative genius.

noddyholder Fri 14-Dec-12 11:11:49

This will set a precedent for future cop outs! Agree it should have been Anton

Jux Fri 14-Dec-12 09:54:11

Pretend Reality vs Real Reality?

Jux Fri 14-Dec-12 09:53:27

I didn't watch that one. Not that I made an informed choice about it, I think it just clashed with life or something better on the other side!

Sadly, most reality tv is just car crash in the name of entertainment, so I generally assume that's what it'll be.

It's hard to categorize MasterChef (whatever incarnation) alongside the Big Brother, I'm a Celeb sort of stuff, under reality, but I suppose they are. Perhaps one is Crap Reality and another Better Realitygrin

BlueyDragon Fri 14-Dec-12 09:24:22

I did see that, couldn't remember the title though. Agreed - it's nice to see people being properly helped and not set up for "entertainment".

I wonder what Keri and Oli will do next? I got the distinct impression that Keri wants to go back into a restaurant. At least Oli can say he's a Masterchef finalist, the experience won't be wasted for him.

If anyone from the BBC is reading then I'll second the call for follow ups!

Biscuitsandtinsel Fri 14-Dec-12 08:59:01

watched

Biscuitsandtinsel Fri 14-Dec-12 08:58:05

Exactly jux that's what I loved too - I watch that programme on ch 4 recently called the hotel thinking it might be something similar but turned it off after 15 mins when it became v apparent that they weren't trying to help anyone at all!

Jux Fri 14-Dec-12 08:38:59

TBH, I'm not that bothered about their backgrounds, and I did other stuff during that bit, sat down to watch properly when the three of them marched into the kitchen in their pinnies.

It would be nice to have a spin off sometime, following up the winners. The only ones I can remember are those two really young ones, the girl won - she was still at college when they started filming. The same series there was a similarly aged lad who was also extraordinary.

I watched The Service. It was good, more because the participants really were learning skills which would help them long term. It wasn't car crash telly, and there were moments when I wanted to cheer as someone overcame a personal hurdle and did really well. It was one of the few times when an influential person really did help people less fortunate, and great telly because of it.

WingDefence Netherlands Fri 14-Dec-12 08:33:03

Sorry, I thought it was a cop out too and Anton was robbed! Really, it's either a a chef who is inventive and different and a chef's chef who wins, or their criteria leans more towards the diner's chef in which case they should have been able to decide.

Really disappointed; such an anti-climax.

LittleAbruzzenBearLovesYuleLog Fri 14-Dec-12 07:19:37

*could see the chefs' background, that should say. Sorry, have not had my coffee yet.

LittleAbruzzenBearLovesYuleLog Fri 14-Dec-12 07:18:40

Oh my goodness, that pudding was to die for! So clever and fabulous. I wanted to eat it.

After the bit at the beginning where we could see where the chefs background, I kind of wanted Keri to win, although I liked them all. I think it was the right decision in the end. Keri and Anton are cut from the same cloth. I loved Oli though. If I was old enough to be his Mum I would be so proud. He took it very well and had an admirable and positive outlook. He is still so young, so to cook like that already, I am sure he will go on to great things. I did want to give him a hug though.

Biscuitsandtinsel Fri 14-Dec-12 06:31:48

^I never* not 'in ever' blush

Biscuitsandtinsel Fri 14-Dec-12 06:30:17

Oh it must have been nearly 2 years ago. They took some 'yoofs' and trained them up to do front of house jobs but they did it 'properly'. Not like these shows where it's all for telly and really about watching them fail. They gradually built up what they did and learned about all the aspects of restaurants until they finished off doing a service at le gavroche. And the prize was a waiter job and a sommelier job (maybe with MRJ? Can't remember the details). But it was fab though. I suppose a little bit like Jamie Oliver's Fifteen in that they actually wanted to teach them to do it properly iyswim. (Although in ever actually watched that)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now