anyone talking about masterchef-the professionals?

(348 Posts)

If not then consider this the start of the thread.

I think the wrong person went out last night. Poor girl, the guy they chose over her really got in by the skin of his teeth!

WickedGirl Fri 23-Nov-12 14:27:46

I love Monica and Greg together.....they make me laugh

Michel seems lovely

TitHead Fri 23-Nov-12 15:36:00

I completley agree Hiphop I miss it on a friday. I think michel is lovely but Monica scares the Bejesus out of me. Still think she is great though

I thought it was a very poor show last night, burnt food, uncooked food, badly presented food, stupid mistakes. I'm glad I haven't eaten in any those places.

glad the guy who beat nat has gone out now though-he should have gone 3 rounds ago.

I hate that it's only on Monday to thursday.

so is next week the semis?

oh and i just googled...cows have 2 kidneys.

Idontknowhowtohelpher Fri 23-Nov-12 22:05:24

Next week is the last week of heats - last chance to get a woman into the semis.

stargirl1701 Fri 23-Nov-12 23:38:26

Thank you fish grin

Kidneys do strike me as an even number kind of organ. I wonder if any mammals (for starters) have just one kidney?

My sister has just one kidney - the other never functioned and was eventually removed (post PG). I think that is why we have 2 - one for backup.

YAY a woman got through last night - Keri seems strangely familiar to me. I think I may have known her 15 years or so ago .................. But I can't think where from. It's going to bug me until I remember.

Hope she survives the week.

yay !

stargirl1701 Wed 28-Nov-12 20:11:13

Ewwww! Sea urchin. No. I couldn't eat those. Not even made by Monica!!! smile

TitHead Wed 28-Nov-12 20:21:14

They don't luck appertising at all do they, very slimely looking certainly don't think I want the raw yuck.

My god, Urchin carnage tonight!

Gracelo Wed 28-Nov-12 20:24:17

I think I would at least try them. It feels like a slightly unfair test to have something so unusual.

MsNobodyAgain Wed 28-Nov-12 20:51:52

Very unfair test, even if they are meant to be professionals. Sea urchins?!! Come on.

Boo!

Minimammoth Thu 29-Nov-12 02:20:20

Another Boo ,bad form I say.
Another a little in love with Michel. < could be a nightmare to live with though>

Gracelo Thu 29-Nov-12 08:37:34

Olly (sp?) might be my favourite this year but I have missed one week entirely so can't really judge all the others. I like Keri too.
What did Greg say to Michel on Tuesday night during the judging? "When the juicy meets meat and the fruity meets juicy..." something like it. I might have to watch it on iPlayer again, it sounded like straight out of Historical Masterchef.

LaVolcan Thu 29-Nov-12 09:36:13

It definitely seemed an unfair test. Urghh - who would eat that?

The one with the souffle crepe the other day seemed reasonable, although non of that batch of candidates did sparklingly well. As Monica said, a chef should know how to make a souffle.

WingDefence Thu 29-Nov-12 10:16:40

One thing that bugs me every time is the bit at the start - what is that sort of chicken-shaped cover that they take off the roast chicken? Any ideas - I've never seen one before!

Agree that the sea urchin test was grim. I think they must get hints on some of these because otherwise how would you know to take the mouth out first and that the orangey-bit is the flesh you want if you've never seen one before?

Monica gave the hint that the flavour was like oyster but that would help with any dressing/salad flavour but she doesn't (on screen) say anything about the inside of it.

MsNobodyAgain Thu 29-Nov-12 10:31:18

I may be wrong, but it could be a clay cooking method. I saw something similar on Masterchef Australia. They dug for clay, cleaned it and moulded it round the meat they were going to cook, then cracked it apart when done. Seemed a bit of a faff to me really.

Gregs face on the sea urchin test told me he hated every single mouthful. Was quite amusing.

think that chicken is roasted in a salt dough covering

Gracelo Thu 29-Nov-12 10:51:34

I think it's one of those salt crust chicken

Gracelo Thu 29-Nov-12 10:53:02

Doh, it took me so long to figure out how to do links that MaryAnnSingleton beat me to it.

egusta Thu 29-Nov-12 11:07:19

Greg annoys me most nights, but really annoyed me last night with the sea urchins. he said he had never had them, had certainly never cooked them then was scathing of the chefs when they struggled.

I like Michel alot. He is judging the comp, but he is compassionate, always tries to say something encouraging, and seems to really want to help the chefs to produce a good meal.

HipHopToDude Thu 29-Nov-12 11:18:59

I enjoyed the sea urchins - none of them had worked with them before so it wasn't unfair at all. Perfect test of chef skills really - apply knowledge & skills to the unknown and see what you can do. Surely that is the whole point of striving to be a top chef? How did anyone actually know how to eat and prepare any food - at some point everyone did it the FIRST TIME.

You only need a bit of knowledge re shellfish etc to know you eat the clean looking bits and get rid of the black stuff/organs/poo etc.

My only experience with sea urchins is pulling horrible face as my neighbour picked them up from the sea and ate them - just like that!

Isn't the chicken thing a chicken brick? As seen on MN in the past I'm sure smile

Loved the artichoke classic!

WingDefence Thu 29-Nov-12 20:07:23

Thanks all for the chicken answers smile <wishes there was a roast chicken icon>

I have a slight problem with Sam's odd beard and wannabe-footballer/1D member haircut grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now