anyone talking about masterchef-the professionals?

(348 Posts)

If not then consider this the start of the thread.

I think the wrong person went out last night. Poor girl, the guy they chose over her really got in by the skin of his teeth!

I liked Nat...

I think that most of Michel Roux jnr's fine dining classics,much as I adore him, are all a bit ewww- am thinking particularly of the fish livers....

Lottapianos Thu 22-Nov-12 13:39:35

Loved Nat too - she would have gone far and seemed really lovely.

The beef kidney task almost made me hurl.

Absolutely love Monica.

The Italian bloke was v nice but not as nice as Michel who is just yum wink

GetorfsaMotherfuckingMorrisMan Thu 22-Nov-12 13:54:14

I love buttery biscuit base.

I wonder who in the name of arse would want to eat beef kidney. And the look of all that fat they had to prise off <gip>

Monica is brilliant - her expressions are fantastic.

And I want to take Michel home.

argh I missed last nights because of my poorly 10m old. I was up and downstairs like a bloody rabbit all evening.

May try and catch up with it now before school run time.

Lottapianos Thu 22-Nov-12 13:59:02

'And I want to take Michel home'

Well that's just adorable GetOrf but ya can't 'ave 'im! He's mine! <rolls up sleeves and squares up>

All you Michel luvvers, have a peek on iPlayer, there is a BBC4 doc he did called The Original Masterchef or something, about Escoffier. Lots of Michel wandering around Paris...

MsNobodyAgain Thu 22-Nov-12 14:19:28

MaryAnn I agree re Michels classics. But I am sure I wouldn't like them because I have a palate more suited to M&S meals for one than proper good cuisine - you don't get a lot of that where I live anyway.

yeah loads of ballotines & lots of samphire on the go this season. The girls aren't doing very well at all thus far this year are they?

They have 4 weeks of heats and quarter finals. I think they go from 10 contestants to 4 (or is it 2) in a week? How many are left after the critics tonight?

I have never seen a beef kidney before - WOW! How can it function in all that fat?

Love love love Monica - love to see them keep her throughout the show. Her facial expressions are a hoot - love the visual conversations her & Greg have through the skills tests. I sit there raising eyebrows and sucking teeth alongside her. But when she praises the chefs they nearly burst with delight - it's sweet.

She must be the worlds most famous person of Samoan descent (at the moment anyway)?

chummymummy Thu 22-Nov-12 14:42:42

I love their facial expressions, when they look at each other its like they are playing facial rock,paper and scissors.

Those kidneys uuuuuurgh, especially the ones with the blood running into the kidneys ..

just watched it. boak that beef kidney looked vile.

I quite fancy the fish stew, yummy.

I quite fancy Michel, yummy.

I agree Michel is wonderful - so stern and demanding, yet sweet, kind and empathetic. Intelligent, perceptive AND he is of course an uber talent in the kitchen! Wow - what a combo!

GetorfsaMotherfuckingMorrisMan Thu 22-Nov-12 16:14:33

Where do the bloody cows get all that fat from? They only eat grass.

I am now showing my ignorance of animal husbandry evidently.

MarinaIvy Thu 22-Nov-12 16:16:45

So, HipHop, what you're saying is that Michel looks as good as he cooks? I concur.

I think the wrong one got through last night. That French guy shouldn't have been forgiven - ever - for doing so badly in classical dishes. These guys all know what to expect from this contest, and anybody who can get from being accepted onto the show to this stage without spending every waking hour practicing classic recipes and techniques, shouldn't have got this far.

In the past (not sure if I mean Professionals or standard), they sometimes would chuck out more than the allotted number because neither chef lived up to their standard, or, occasionally, keep more than they were supposed to, because both candidates deserved another shot. We liked that - was evidence that this wasn't just another stupid reality show, but that real merit played an important part.

There are times in this series when I'm sure Monica wouldn't have allowed somebody to go through and cook for Michel, but must have been overruled by the suits. I find that vastly disappointing.

MarinaIvy Thu 22-Nov-12 16:18:31

PS - whoever reminded me of that Buttery Biscuit Base song is going to get SUCH a spanking!

He's not my 'type' in the looks dept AT ALL, however he has won me over with his personality and nature. I would, I really would.

Note to selves - its sable (not butter biscuit base you amateurs smile )

re cow fat - I know, what are they feeding them????? I've always been amazed how something eating just grass and water can grow into a cow or a horse! Incredible.

Didn't you love how Monica says "we use the fat - render it down to roast potatoes in etc" - sign of a good chef - use it all!

stargirl1701 Thu 22-Nov-12 17:05:55

I couldn't believe the size of that beef kidney...do they have 2 like us?

GetorfsaMotherfuckingMorrisMan Thu 22-Nov-12 18:51:36

I don't know - under all that revolting fat the kidney is quite small, compared to the size of a ruddy great cow. Perhaps they have 4, they have 4 stomachs.

Where's james herriot.

comixminx Thu 22-Nov-12 21:31:43

The fat round the beef kidney is what you get suet from...

comi are you Monica? grin

comixminx Thu 22-Nov-12 22:13:00

Hah! I couldn't do her job, I know.

Gracelo Fri 23-Nov-12 09:25:58

All that fat is needed to protect the kidneys, they are close to the ribs in cows.

That was a very uninspiring lot last night, I thought.

I agree - for supposed professional chefs the standard has not been great this week. What will next week bring us?

Gracelo Fri 23-Nov-12 09:46:43

It annoys me when good people go out who would have got through easily in a weak group like the one they had this week but I suppose that's just down to luck...

Indeed - but think to yourself would they have won? And if you think probably not, then it's easier to let go.

Friday nights feel so empty now after 4 nights of MCP on the trot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now