Derren Brown - Apocalypse

(85 Posts)

Seen a couple of trailers for this and it makes my tummy churn with a kind of horrible fascination. Is it acceptable to do this to a person do we think? I know they have signed up at some degree at some point, but surely it could seriously, seriously fuck you up?? Here is the trailer

I was thinking the same to be honest, surely extreme pressure like this could cause psychological damage, anxiety and post traumatic stress?

griphook Tue 23-Oct-12 21:37:28

Did you ever see the stunt where he convinced a woman that she had died that was very scary

The one were he made a man confess to murdering someone that he hadn't haunted me for weeks. Scary

griphook Wed 24-Oct-12 19:31:38

Ooo I missed that one. Will be watching this one, although I find derren brown terrifying.

EdsRedeemingQualities Thu 25-Oct-12 13:53:51

I just saw the trailer for this and tbh he sounds like a power crazed, mercenary lunatic.

i totally think it could cause damage.

It's emotional manipulation to get money/viewers/whatever - never, ever gets past my bullshit radar. I HATE stuff like this.

EdsRedeemingQualities Thu 25-Oct-12 13:54:40

I've never watched the bloke before btw...makes me feel sick.

To be fair psychiatrists were involved with the selection and afterwards to make sure the guy was ok.

Bomper Thu 25-Oct-12 21:53:10

Love Derren Brown - think he's fab. <runs away and hides in the corner>

EdsRedeemingQualities Fri 26-Oct-12 08:17:42

But it's just so horrid. Really horrid idea, and all to make people be shocked.

Nasty.

strandednomore Fri 26-Oct-12 08:19:59

Did anyone see the one where they convinced a whole of particularly gullible young people they had gone into space (nothing to do with Derren Brown but was Ch4 I think)? It was actually quite funny.
This one though I am unsure about.

EdsRedeemingQualities Fri 26-Oct-12 08:58:32

Won't it make the person really, really upset and frightened? Or is that the whole point?

I don't understand that mentality, watching people suffer, because they believe something terrible has happened. Oh such fun. It's a bit like Kay whatshername from Sky.

Elsqueak Fri 26-Oct-12 10:47:37

If participants consent to be manipulated that's fine and up to them.

From the trailer it looks awful though. Personally, I won't be watching as that dark devastation reminds me of the 7/7 bombings.
He will no doubt make a tidy profit from terrifying the guy.

squoosh Fri 26-Oct-12 11:50:28

Can't stand weasely little Derren Brown. Find his programmes manipulative and more unforgivably than that, boring.

WereTricksPotter Fri 26-Oct-12 12:02:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EdsRedeemingQualities Fri 26-Oct-12 12:08:25

Why do people even sign up for it though? I don't understand their motivation.

WereTricksPotter Fri 26-Oct-12 12:12:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheCountessOlenska Fri 26-Oct-12 21:18:45

I'm watching! Is it weird that I'd quite like this to be done to me? I'd be interested to find out if I'd be a quivering wreck or a warrior grin

Looks like there's a hint of zombie as well!!

PrincessSymbian Fri 26-Oct-12 21:28:11

I'm enjoying it, though it does feel a bit totally evil! But it's still interesting and I really like Derren Brown
The hacking is really amazing stuff.

Rollergirl1 Fri 26-Oct-12 21:30:10

Agree the person knows what they're signing up to. Also think all the prep is unbelievable. Would have cost far too much to plant all that stuff. That's all for the TV show.

I think it's all an absolute croc of shit. Derren, you balding cnut.

Rollergirl1 Fri 26-Oct-12 21:35:10

OMG, seriously? This is just bollocks!!!

PrincessSymbian Fri 26-Oct-12 21:35:35

They are all actors. Including the guy who is meant to be being apocolypsed!

ledkr Fri 26-Oct-12 21:36:33

I don't like the way he's dressing it up as doing the guy a favour. Dh said its just an elaborate beadles about

griphook Fri 26-Oct-12 21:38:37

It's basically 28 days later and day of the triffids.

Beadles about, think your dh might be right

Chubfuddler Fri 26-Oct-12 21:39:34

Loathsome self aggrandising little arse of same ilk as jezza Kyle and Matthew wright.

Yuk yuk yuk

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now