GIRLS - mon 10pm atlantic

(52 Posts)
Blondeshavemorefun Fri 19-Oct-12 14:12:19

Keep hearing fab reviews about this - meant to be like a new sex in the city

starts monday - so put on planner now

LightHousekeeping Mon 19-Nov-12 22:43:33

I'm still watching. It does make me cringe though. I hope the English one who seems to have had her college education in New York doesn't get off with the bloke she is babysitting for.

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 19-Nov-12 16:07:40

agree jbck - yes i do cringe at times and think what a mug she is to put up with that abusive boyfriend

Jbck Sat 10-Nov-12 16:50:24

I'm up to date and really liking it now. It is quite uncomfortable viewing sometimes but it was uncomfortable living those years for a lot of us, different accents same shit.
The boyfriend makes me so angry

Watched two episodes last night but still think we are one behind so no spoilers please. Must admit I find it uncomfortable watching as Hannah (the series writer) is bring abused emotionally and sexually by her arse of a boyfriend. So not sure if I can stick with it as feel so sorry for her lack of self esteem!

IdaBlankenship Tue 30-Oct-12 14:17:28

lighthousekeeping same here - I think I like it, but am reserving judgement until a few more eps have passed.

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 30-Oct-12 10:18:13

Tiny furniture was crap. Turned off after 20mins

But kinda like this tho they are young

lighthousekeeping Mon 29-Oct-12 23:32:01

The jury's still out here. It's very talky, isn't it?

Himalaya Mon 29-Oct-12 22:42:16

I luffed it.

IdaBlankenship Mon 29-Oct-12 22:17:25

Just watched first 2 eps and I think I like it. Painfully toe-curlingly bad sex scenes and good dynamics between the girls. I like that the girls are not conventional American hotties. Magoosmom I agree that interview scene was great.

lighthousekeeping Thu 25-Oct-12 18:39:09

I've just tried to watch Tiny Furniture what a load of pretentious twaddle. I really can't cope with Pixie girls. The fact that it was filmed in her real family house with real friends and family just confirms what we've already said, totally unrealistic.

magoosmom Wed 24-Oct-12 20:31:48

Loved it, just out of my twenties and have 3 sisters in their twenties and I thought it was quite realistic, l laughed out loud at the interview scene grin

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 24-Oct-12 08:54:22

I did watch American Shameless and was weird as seen every episode of English shameless

Pumpkinlatte Wed 24-Oct-12 01:44:19

I think you're right, lighthouse, if this show were based in London it would be totally different. Mostly because, I think, Americans are so utterly, boringly, obssesively earnest. They take themselves, and their fashions and trends and ishoos far too seriously. The British version would have overtones of Shameless to it grin.

I won't distress you by going into how shocking the American version of Shameless is...

Agree, Shoshanna also my favourite character.

lighthousekeeping Wed 24-Oct-12 01:05:03

It is an age thing and, a class thing I totally agree.

FreddieMercurysEnormusPumpkin Wed 24-Oct-12 01:01:56

I liked it, and it made me feel old too. And I'm twenty fucking eight. Reminded me of being 17 and shagging arsehole boy who 'liked' me...:O Agree about the middle-classness of it all, it is kind of mocking the situation she's in though, the crying and begging her parents for money rather than getting a bloody job, any job!

lighthousekeeping Wed 24-Oct-12 00:51:53

Maybe it's reflective of NYC life than of ours in London? These kind of shows are always about they middle classes aren't they? I think if it was based inLondon it would be totally different.

ScaryFakeNails Wed 24-Oct-12 00:39:56

I've seen the series online after seeing the first episode when I was out in the US. I certainly don't think its the new SATC, sure its set in NYC, about 4 white women with sex and humour but its quite different.

Its ok. I work with quite a few twenty something 'creatives' who have seen one or two eps and think its ok. Quite funny. Think my favourite character is Shoshanna.

It interesting you mentioned the body types aspect as I know theres been quite a bit of discussion about Lena Dunham's boobs being a bit odd.

From what I remember there are sex scenes throughout but I do think at least its all a bit more realistic than some of the bullshit 'love scenes' broadcast by hbo and their ilk.

Some parts are quite unrealistic but then its a tv show, contrived for entertainment you can't be too fussy about that side of it. I do think the all white cast is an issue.

akaemmafrost Tue 23-Oct-12 22:56:19

I liked it. I will keep watching.

It's on sky on demand and on sky go on an iPhone.

Glad the hard core tones down a bit. I mean, I get it but I don't really want to see it!! grin IYSWIM.

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 23-Oct-12 21:57:38

I don't think they are particularly pretty / but just average and that's good imo

blisterpack Tue 23-Oct-12 21:54:37

I watched about 25 minutes and thought it was seriously crap so couldn't take anymore.

As for pretty, I must have been watching a different show as I thought the cast had lots of unattractive people

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 23-Oct-12 21:44:49

Guess as has sex needs to be past watershed

Though didnt think the bum scene was that bad .......

sailorsgal Tue 23-Oct-12 21:28:39

9pm would be good for me, I need my beauty sleep. grin

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 23-Oct-12 21:27:51

Sailor girl - repeated tomorrow (wed) at 11.30pm

lighthousekeeping Tue 23-Oct-12 21:17:46

It definitely doesn't need to be on earlier in the evening!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now