ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

ANTM fans, over here!

(201 Posts)
5ThingsUnderTheBed Mon 15-Oct-12 21:19:05

Are you watching the new one that's started tonight? Brits vs America.

I'm not liking I so far, too much us vs them.

It's legal as it's just streaming video. You're not downloading anything. Like iplayer!

glitch Wed 17-Oct-12 17:26:06

Not SYTYCD too?!!! Oh this thread is just marvellous grin grin grin

msrisotto Wed 17-Oct-12 17:38:30

Amazing grin I love you, and this thread. grin

TwllBach Wed 17-Oct-12 17:45:17

I am never pick the winners either. I'm still stuck on 'pretty' but it's not 'pretty' that wins really is it?

IdaBlankenship Wed 17-Oct-12 19:57:37

Apparently "pretty" is not as important as "fierce".
My favourite bit about ANTM is when Tyra gets outraged by any suggestion that modelling is not as important as, say, curing cancer. She literally implodes with righteous indignation - glorious.

She is quite mad. I can't decide whether I like Tyra or not as half the time she's campaigning for better body image in the media but the next she's saying that modelling is as important as curing cancer! Lol.

IdaBlankenship Wed 17-Oct-12 20:03:35

She is weirdly humourless, but I do love her. Mostly I think because she is batshit crazy. I do not like Elle or Lisa or any of the other NTM judges, they just don't have Tyra's command of the situation (or her slap-down ability of any mouthy wannabe models)

lighthousekeeping Wed 17-Oct-12 20:23:42

I turned off after five minutes. It's had it's day now.

TwllBach Wed 17-Oct-12 20:31:21

I hadn't watched any antm before June/July this year and have to admit I was quite snobby about it before I was sucked in and thought Tyra was appalling. Now... I love her. Love. Her. I can't work out if she knows she's batshit though.

I mean, did y'all seeee the all stars thing where she made her own movie???

IdaBlankenship Wed 17-Oct-12 20:35:31

I know! It was a fantastic and completely without irony.

Ida... did you mean to paraphrase 'Enchanted'? lol.

The movie thing was INSANE. I nearly bought her book because it sounded so awful.

IdaBlankenship Wed 17-Oct-12 20:51:46

I love her pseudo-intellectual bollocks, when she says things she thinks are profound but are actually just unintelligible.
MrsC - Enchanted? Que? Am I unintentionally channeling something?

TwllBach Wed 17-Oct-12 21:38:55

I really wanted her book to be amazing but after reading about I can't bring myself to read it sad

Sometimes when I am being sensible I look at some of the tasks she sets and am like, what the actual fuck??? But she's just so brilliant I forgive her grin

And the way she drops in and out of a French accent for no fathomable reason...

IdaBlankenship Wed 17-Oct-12 21:47:43

TwllBach - have you got to the season where she wears nothing but crack-tastic jumpsuits? - a different and more crotchtacular one each elimination. She resembled a magnificent alien warlord.

Ida- Disney's Enchanted. It's a hilarious film but at one point a no nonsense character turns around to a ridiculous disney prince and says 'Oh wow, you said that completely without irony.'

It's a throwaway line, but I have to watch that film at least once a day thanks to DD. I don't mind because it is very funny.

Twllback, I think she thinks that speaking with a French accent makes her cultured. Gah.

I thought i was the only one who noticed the insane jumpsuits. She is a proper mental.

IdaBlankenship Wed 17-Oct-12 22:10:24

MrsC - I have seen it! Only the once though and a while back so forgive my denseness.
I would probably read a self-help book by Tyra, but imagine it would be a bit shouty and that she would mix her metaphors a lot.

She'd to be too busy saying

Now I see you do this weird face

But what I do is THIS weird face and mugs to camera

Now THAT is modelling.

IdaBlankenship Wed 17-Oct-12 22:18:47

Then she would tell you in all seriousness that you just have no personality and that the judges just don't like you as a person.. but not to worry as its all constructive criticism

Oh god the All-Stars movie! Sometimes, just to upset each other, my husband and I look at each other meaningfully, suck our thumbs, and claim to be Tookie. And then we vomit like a Monty Python skit. Thank heavens he watches enough of it with me (particularly makeover week and nude week) that he doesn't think I'm completely off with the fierce fairies.

Fierce and love, y'all.

TwllBach Thu 18-Oct-12 16:43:31

Ohhh she actually says fierce and love??? I heard something that sounded like it at the end of a Tyra mail and thought "...no. No no, definitely peace and love."

I should have known better grin

My favourites have been Laura and Alison. Definitely.

msrisotto Thu 18-Oct-12 17:07:39

DittoTwlbach!

IdaBlankenship Thu 18-Oct-12 19:38:37

I liked Laura but Alison got on my nerves with her baby doll face as it was the same in every shot. I was pretty amazed that Lisa won All-stars as she had crazy by the bucketload. I wonder if any top model winners actually have a decent career. I know one of the rejects is now an actress in Hollywood, but I've never seen any of the girls in a magazine.

There was some kind of scandal on All Stars though... if you watch the way it's edited it looks like Angelea is being set up to win on the last couple of episodes.

You'll notice that the 'crowning' of the winner takes place a good time after and in a different studio which is unusual. It's usually done at the point.

I think rumour had it that Angelea leaked her winning status and so had it taken off her.

IdaBlankenship Thu 18-Oct-12 19:59:30

Oh I forgot that - I had heard that Angelea had done something unbecoming for an ANTM winner - I was imagining some crazy scenarios like stealing Andre's cloak or running off with Tyra's weave.
I couldn't see Angelea or Lisa being winners really though..

Lisa is such a bawbag.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now