Great British Bake-off: The Final

(513 Posts)
StrangerintheNight Wed 10-Oct-12 14:47:08

Just typed out a very excitable post only to find the previous thread, on which I was an avid lurker, had exceeded it's capacity. So if you don't mind, I'll start the overflow thread in the lead up to the Grand Final.

squoosh Thu 11-Oct-12 08:49:28

Also James cannot win with such scruffy offerings even if they do taste as good as licking Ryan Gosling's thigh.

Sadly I have not licked Ryan Gosling's thighs. One day, one day . . . . . .

ppeatfruit Thu 11-Oct-12 09:07:55

Brendan needs flexibility; would you prefer a cake that looked amazing but tasted shxx or a not perfect looking cake that tasted wonderful squoosh? I know which I'd prefer grin I do realise this is a contest and theyre supposed to give both but you can't have everything grin

Dumbledoresgirl Thu 11-Oct-12 09:18:09

I would like James to win. I love his casual flair exemplified when his gingerbread barn went wrong yet still turned out like a work of art. (Incidentally, Danny's Big Ben tower looked like something a five year old would draw and she tried so hard with it!) James has the courage of youth and it is very attractive. Plus, looks (the baking, not his) aren't everything and it does seem to me that Mary and Paul praise his flavours and textures a lot.

Having said that, I think Brendan is going to win. I am sorry, but he has always rather creeped me out since the first episode. I would hate to be his neighbour and be subjected to his creations all the time blush

John, I think is very sweet. His Colosseum was amazing! But this week, he looked on the verge of tears so much, despite all the praise he got, so I think the pressure is getting to him. He needn't worry, I'm sure getting to the final is enough to allow him to make a career out of baking. I suppose he brings out the mother in me. I want to give him a hug and tell him not to worry so much.

riverboat Thu 11-Oct-12 09:19:35

But Brendan's bakes have never been accused of tasting bad, as far as I remember! He's had less 'truly outstanding taste' feedback than some other contestants, but still a lot of positive feedback in this area, combined with his amazing presentation and impressive knowledge and consistency...Brendan for the win!

squoosh Thu 11-Oct-12 09:25:26

But Brendan's taste good and look good. James' may taste good but they don't look very appealing.

Well, having read on Danny's blog about how spiteful some people have been online I am not going to say anything remotely critical! I so want to be her friend - couple of bottles of wine, those nice crackers she made, and she'd be able to patch me up if I overdid it and fell over.

I saw Paul Hollywood on Sunday. Literature festival. He just said hello, didn't stop and chat, but probably for the best as I would have just blushed and gibbered. Sigh.

My money's on Brendan, he seems to be the most consistent. Did anyone see that programme following a bunch of people going through the French Master Patissier train

sorry, phone. French Master Patissier training. I spent the entire time with my jaw dropped to the floor, the skill level required was extraordinary, made GBBO look like I Can Cook.

wintera Thu 11-Oct-12 10:02:07

Interesting point about Danny saying comments on line had been nasty etc. I was only thinking to myself the other day that I would never ever volunteer to take part in any kind of tv show like GBBO. Its inevitable that you are going to be scrutinized and in some respects slagged off so I just wouldn't want to put myself through it at all personally.

Oh and regarding Ryan Gosling's thigh - couldn't agree more, he is my new crush after watching a couple of films with him in recently! Good Looks and amazing acting talent as well!

Jins Thu 11-Oct-12 10:05:21

I wanted Danny to win sad. I liked her best and I thought the flavours she put together were great.

I don't care who wins as long as it isn't Brendan. I'm not feeling the love for the marguerite patten style of baking and the man irritates me

ppeatfruit Thu 11-Oct-12 10:08:01

I don't want to make this a 'knock Brendan' post but the judges never go OTT about his flavours in some cases they've been quite critical. Like they're nothing special. JAMES TO WIN!! (d''you think if I say it enough it'll happen grin?

I love James, but I really liked John's choux gateau, soooo pretty. I do think James has been fairly consistent throughout and I like him. I have never warmed to Brendan, I can't even say why. Shame Danny went.

Somebody is going to make fondant fancies next week. God, this really is not the thing to be watching when on a diet.

Lottapianos Thu 11-Oct-12 10:22:17

It's such a great program. I love John - he's so sweet and he wants it so much but I agree he's not in the same league as the other two. James is lovely and has a real instinctive flair for baking, although I agree his bicycle looked quite rubbish. I can understand why people don't warm to Brendan, although I do have a soft spot for him. They said earlier in the series that he has always loved baking and wanted to pursue it professionally but his family couldn't afford to support him through his training so he had to shelve his dream and do something else instead. That makes me sad. He's been waiting for this for a long time. And I loved his twee birdhouse!

But to be honest, I don't really mind who wins so long as Paul Hollywood does lots of his trademark hard staring in the final <swoons> even if he is a grumpy git

squoosh Thu 11-Oct-12 10:26:38

But James has had so many things that they've disliked the taste of, Brendan hasn't . Mary (and Paul) has been in raptures over Brendan's offerings (!) on many an occasion.

I just wish they'd be more honest about James' inventiveness. I can well believe it's down to the editing and not he himself but I do think they are editing unfairly so as to present him as some kind of wunderkind. To my mind Brendan has borne all the 70's jibing with very good grace.

www.dailystar.com.lb/Culture/Lifestyle/2012/Mar-09/166031-raspberry-and-chili-secrets-of-the-macaron-master.ashx#axzz28ysdpCmi

BRENDAN TO WIN!!!

<feels slightly over emotionally invested and has a lie down>

squoosh Thu 11-Oct-12 10:27:20

Controversial opinion alert: I'm indifferent to Paul Hollywood's charms.

Paul has lovely eyes

DinosaurSchool Thu 11-Oct-12 10:32:56

squoosh me too! He's such a misery and really nowt special to look at.

I really can't stand Brendan, he is too safe and although I know its not the point of the show but he doesn't seem to bother with the other contestants at all.

I'd like John to win, for his desperation to keep baking even with a glove full of blood grin

I'm quite in awe of the macarons, any flavour, after three friends of mine, all competent bakers, spent three weekends trying to make them and just about lost the plot.

squoosh it's just as well, what with the emotional investment, if you fancied Mr H as well it would be all TOO MUCH.

Lottapianos Thu 11-Oct-12 10:34:07

squoosh, how could you! wink

Is anyone planning to buy a really lovely slice of cake to eating during the final? Coz you know you are going to be drooling at Paul Hollywood and in need of something sweet!

squoosh Thu 11-Oct-12 10:49:12

The true romance of this year's GBBO!

9th Oct
James Morton
@bakingjames Oh Brendan, I love you. #GBBO

9th Oct
Brendan Lynch
@brendanbakes The feeling is mutual James!

MrsjREwing Thu 11-Oct-12 11:08:41

So sad Danny left.

I would prefer a natural baker win over a perfectionist who practiced recipies to death.

HoldMeCloserTonyDanza Thu 11-Oct-12 11:18:04

I think Brendan and James are both brilliant and would be happy with either winning.

:takes out guitar, begin chorus of Kumbaya:

WingDefence Thu 11-Oct-12 11:19:33

I haven't read the whole of this new thread but oes anyone else think the standard isn't quite as good as in previous years?

I mean I do like the Brendonator and James but last year, any one of Mary-Anne, Holly (my fave) and Jo could have one whereas this year James and Brendan were outliers from the start.

Do you think it's because they made the challenges so much harder this year, so more people looked worse in their baking IYKWIM?

hmm

squoosh Thu 11-Oct-12 11:23:21

<gives HoldMeCloseTonyDanza a beady eyed stare>

Just who do you think you are coming onto this thread with your good will to all men nonsense?

squoosh Thu 11-Oct-12 11:25:58

I think you're right WingDefence I'm not sure the standard is as high this year. I loved Mary-Anne, although her blood pressure seemed rise week on week. I didn't see the whole series last year so can't remember the technical challenges. I'd have thought the UK was teeming with highly skilled bakers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now