Great British Bake-off: The Final

(513 Posts)
StrangerintheNight Wed 10-Oct-12 14:47:08

Just typed out a very excitable post only to find the previous thread, on which I was an avid lurker, had exceeded it's capacity. So if you don't mind, I'll start the overflow thread in the lead up to the Grand Final.

awaynboilyurheid Sun 21-Oct-12 17:22:45

Was away on hols for the final and on return could not believe how exciting it was! who thought a baking programme could produce so much debate on mumsnet! Really enjoyable, still a bit shocked John won as although he is excellent I still thought James or Brendan would win, and it was so emotional too when Brendans partner told his story I was in tears, and really take back what I said about him running amok with the palatte knife if he didn't win, that was v bad of me mumsnet sometimes does that to me sad

iklboo Sun 21-Oct-12 17:44:49

John was in the Strictly audience last night with his partner.

mumdebump Sun 21-Oct-12 23:14:03

I wondered if that was that his partner? Sometimes they sit 'celebs' & special guests together rather randomly (i.e. in a place where they can more easily film them)

drjohnsonscat Mon 22-Oct-12 15:41:53

Queen of PUddings is gorgeous angry

Honestly it's delicious. It's not stodgy like bread pudding. Just a delicious lemon-scented custard with jam and meringue. It's very light and lovely.

I once made it for a dinner party and one of the guests confessed afterwards that she had never heard of Queen of Puddings and assumed I had decided to name my own pudding that in honour of my own amazing cooking grin

Animation Tue 23-Oct-12 07:31:32

Watched this for the first time last week and I was absoltutely enchanted!

I wanted to know what the fuss was all about. Now I know. Beautifully made programme with four lovely natural judges/ cooks/ presenters. Watched it again last night as the cooks were baking - enchanted some more. thanks

sharmck Sun 28-Oct-12 17:26:09

Hoping people are still reading this thread, because I need help from GBBO obsessives! I'm trying to track down the recipe for the chocolate shiny ganache like cake covered with fresh raspberries that appears in the credits for the show....my dd dreams over it every week and I want to try and make it for her birthday, but despite roaming for hours across GBBO web pages I can't find it anywhere (even a close substitute would do at this stage!). Any ideas v gratefully received!

VikingVagine Sun 28-Oct-12 19:05:58

Maybe Mary's Sacher torte?

Jux Sun 28-Oct-12 20:21:26

Can custard afficionados tell me what I did wrong?

I made QoP - did the custard yesterday, set beautifully, smelt lovely. When it cooled, the jam went on soooo easily. Covered it and fridge overnight. This morning made the meringue. Custard came out of the fridge and sat about for a few hours (so room temperature). Covered it with meringue, and after main course eaten, put it in the oven at 130 C as per recipe for no more than half an hour. Came out looking fine. Served it up, custard had gone completely liquid and mixed with the jam.

Still tasted nice, but not what I'd wanted!

Bilbobagginstummy Sun 28-Oct-12 20:29:15

Guessing, but perhaps you shouldn't have put the jam on yesterday as it might have sunk through the custard "skin" and messed it up. I have just watched Mary do this on the masterclass and she said you can do the custard the day before.

It's at 12:50 in this:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01nm61z/The_Great_British_Bake_Off_Series_3_Masterclass/

Bilbobagginstummy Sun 28-Oct-12 20:29:31
Jux Sun 28-Oct-12 22:52:44

I think you must be right. I had watched the programme and thought, ah yes, do it the day before. I watched it again a few days ago and thought the same. Clearly I had some sort of brain explosion last night, and forgot that it was only the custard that was done the day before. Mind you, it looked absolutely fine when I put the meringue on. No sign of seepage.

Mine looked exactly the same, right up until I served it, at which point it wasn't! Ah well, learn something new every day.

sharmck Wed 31-Oct-12 14:38:41

Thanks Vikingvagine, I'm going with sachertorte (mary's recipe) and just adding raspberries, Ill do the glazing with sieved jam thing they seem to do on the show. Glossy cake her I come!

Kings of Pastry on BBc4 now, you must watch it or catch it on Iplayer

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now