Jewish Mother of the Year tonight!!

(71 Posts)
lighthousekeeping Tue 09-Oct-12 18:37:33

Yes, I know it's going to be full of stereotypes and my Jewish friends will be cringing but will watch it anyway I can't wait though!!! I'm recording it and will have a rubbish tv fest at the end of the week.

squoosh Wed 10-Oct-12 14:16:22

I saw a few minutes of this programme. Was a bit of a strange premise, pair up wildly different Mums who happen to be Jewish and let the sparks fly.

The tanned skinny Mum had a mahoosive medieval style front door. I felt a bit sorry for the woman she was paired with.

Is there a prize at the end of it?

lighthousekeeping Wed 10-Oct-12 17:52:44

Agony Aunt for the Jewish Times.

A couple of those women were very familiar to me, I wonder where they are from?

It was rather crap sad I think it was very naughty of them to try and give credence to the stereotype by the judges they chose.

nkf Wed 10-Oct-12 19:14:20

I haven't watched it. I know it will be utter rubbish. I loathe all these programmes that make women look stupid. Cupcake Wars, anything with Gok Wan in it. All of them.

gingergran Wed 10-Oct-12 19:30:27

Do people really take programmes like these seriously - citizen khan is so stereotyped that you can see any 'gags' coming a mile off.

I thought Jewish Mother of the Year was typical cr*p reality TV but I found it highly assuming in parts and cringeworthy in others.

I have to say that I know two of the women in it, Emma who is exactly as she appears on the programme, a typical Jewish princess, overprivileged and spoilt, and Jacqueline, who teaches music at my children's school and seems as mad as a box of frogs (allegedly!).

I know that Jacqueline did not enter any sort of competition but was approached when walking down the street and i'm not sure she knew what she was letting herself in for.

Personally, I am looking forward to he next one for tips on how not to marry off my children!

jessiegee Wed 10-Oct-12 19:49:30

I really hope that people don't take it seriously ginger. Lord help us if people think this crew is representative of most Jews.

comixminx Wed 10-Oct-12 22:20:02

Just watched it now on 4seven or whatever. It was dreadfully cringeworthy. They clearly gave only minimal screen time to the actual competent ones, like the ones who did that rather fantastic fruit creation. I'd rather watch done thing like GBBO which has sympathy for the people involved in it.

GingerGran, which one was Jacqueline, what bit did she do?

gingergran Thu 11-Oct-12 06:57:15

she was the one who drank her first cocktail - knocked back the vodka - and made the fruit tower

comixminx Thu 11-Oct-12 08:13:25

Thanks Ginger: I thought she was good, and clearly competent too, which is no doubt why they didn't show that much of her, preferring to concentrate on the car crash stuff. If they approached her in the street then presumably they found it hard to get willing targets, er I mean contestants?

lighthousekeeping Thu 11-Oct-12 09:04:26

I think they went into toddler groups etc to ask.

lighthousekeeping Fri 12-Oct-12 18:11:00

It's weird seeing where u live on telly.

SadPunk Sat 13-Oct-12 00:47:10

I do like that Woman's house, the skinny tanned one?? The kitchen/hallway was a bit medieval.

lighthousekeeping Sat 13-Oct-12 10:01:05

I've seen her before. Has she been in another programme? I did enjoy the comedians on the other side afterwards,

lighthousekeeping Tue 16-Oct-12 21:29:25

Is it any good tonight?

Nope grin

squoosh Tue 16-Oct-12 21:58:49

The date with the glasses is an absolute arse. What hissy fits he throws.

lighthousekeeping Tue 16-Oct-12 22:51:17

Is Emma a beautician? Her house is amazing.

I know that hairdresser in Brent Cross. I agree the guy with the glasses is not very nice.

Viperidae Tue 16-Oct-12 23:08:11

I'm quite enjoying it but some of those women are really irritating, I suppose it is having all those strong characters together brings out the worst at times.

Davros Wed 17-Oct-12 08:00:19

Loved it for all the wrong reasons! But it won't offend me, just all the women in DH's family. Citizen Khan is fiction (so called comedy) so not a comparison

I'm still unsure about this. I'm a jewish mother, unsurprisingly with a jewish mother and we've both been watching this and rolling our eyes. Although I know my DM and I have elements of the stereotype, I can't say I'm offended, I just take it with a pinch of salt, like TOWIE or and other 'reality' show.

I'm finding most of them annoying, I'm glad that really frum woman went as she was just awful and completely out of touch with reality. I had though the little ginger one might win it as she was sort of traditional yet modern but it seems not. The other orthodox one seems completely mental to me. I'm also quite surprised by who's left as they seem to be the extremes and not the middle ground.

I think its sort of mildly enjoyable, although I prefer Jews at Ten, much funnier and at least its slightly educational.

lighthousekeeping Wed 17-Oct-12 12:12:19

Jews at Ten is fantastic. Have got a real urge to find my Annie Hall DVD after last night.

I also thought the red head would go through. No woman in her right mind will touch that guy with the glasses now.

Bizarrely it made me want to watch Fiddler on the Roof. David Schneider has been particularly good in it. Also been surprised by some of those people being jewish.

Glasses guy was awful, the way he behaved, I can't imagine his mother will be pleased. Going on about how wonderful he is at dating, yet he's still single.

Is it just me who thinks the woman with the 6 children comes across as crazy. She keeps crying.

lighthousekeeping Wed 17-Oct-12 12:29:46

I think she's very bossy that one. Likes to be in control. I like the older one from Leeds. They all look very familiar to me for some reason!! I know what you mean about been surprised by the celebs who are Jewish on that programme. I don't think many of them are religious as such. Two of them were conversions, weren't they and I think most of them have married out. It's like taking the best bits. Like we all do!!! I'd forgotten about Charlotte and Harry in SATC. Makes me want to watch that as well!

Yes I like the older one, I think she might be the most likely to win now.

Yes I think a few were conversions. I'm sort of religious, but DH isn't jewish, we didn't have a jewish wedding, although there were certain aspects involved, I haven't really done much with the DC. We just celebrate the holidays and are a bit fussy with our food.

I have friends who have watched Jews at 10 and found it really interesting. I much prefer it to Strictly Kosher which I found bloody awful.

lighthousekeeping Wed 17-Oct-12 13:30:34

Oh that was not good. I think there's a person at Channel 4 who's behind all these programmes as they are all so similar. I loved the old chap in strictly kosher and the gay straight shop keeper fascinated me.

I can't take to Emma at all. Her husband must have an amazing job. I love Radlett where she lives.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now