Jewish Mother of the Year tonight!!

(71 Posts)
lighthousekeeping Tue 09-Oct-12 18:37:33

Yes, I know it's going to be full of stereotypes and my Jewish friends will be cringing but will watch it anyway I can't wait though!!! I'm recording it and will have a rubbish tv fest at the end of the week.

lisaro Tue 09-Oct-12 18:54:48

Argh. I thought it looked absolutely shit! Would be happy to be proved wrong, though.

lighthousekeeping Tue 09-Oct-12 19:01:22

Oh, it will be on my guilty pleasure list!

lighthousekeeping Tue 09-Oct-12 19:03:55

Oh, it will be on my guilty pleasure list!

MrsY Tue 09-Oct-12 19:06:43

When/what channel is it on?

lighthousekeeping Tue 09-Oct-12 19:10:50

9pm. I think ch 4

I'm going to give it a go. Dh is very hmm but I'm in the mood for escapism tv.

I can't wait- it's at ten though !

My guide says 9pm? Not waiting up til 10, I'm knackered!

oh, I will check !

you're correct !!

freetoanyhome Tue 09-Oct-12 21:18:44

am cringing already

freetoanyhome Tue 09-Oct-12 21:48:53

kinda reminds me of a middle class competative party! The frocks, sneers etc <shudder>

jessiegee Tue 09-Oct-12 21:49:23

I'm behind my cushion. Embarrassing or wot!

bran Tue 09-Oct-12 21:51:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

I find it quite sad really.

jessiegee Tue 09-Oct-12 21:57:20

It is bobby. Really sad.

bran Tue 09-Oct-12 21:58:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hmc Tue 09-Oct-12 22:00:50

I don't really understand the premise of this programme - it seems strangely 'niche'. What's so special about Jewish mothers as opposed to non-Jewish mothers? Am a bit nonplussed (shrugs)

rosyposyandc Tue 09-Oct-12 22:02:46

It is such humiliating stereotyped crap. And there will be people out there who think that is what we are all like. Cringe does not even come close

AuntFini Tue 09-Oct-12 22:04:09

I didnt realise it was now appropriate to stereotype Jewish people again. Hate this crap tv, just like my big fat gypsy wedding

jessiegee Tue 09-Oct-12 22:42:01

It is completely bloody dreadful. hmc the only thing 'special' thing about Jewish mothers as opposed to all other mothers, are the things that are stereotyped - ie we're supposed to be mega over protective, mega over-involved with every aspect of our family's lives, constantly feeding/over-feeding everyone, insanely over-proud of our children's every breath. Of course in reality, we're no different to any other Mother.

Along with Strictly Kosher, this is another vile stereotyping of an entire faith. Though with Citizen Khan, the Muslims get completely stereotyped and the travelling community have to cope with Big Fat Gypsy Wedding, so I guess we can't feel too persecuted at present. I wish they'd just stop with all this shit already!

hmc Tue 09-Oct-12 22:44:36

Yes I can see the stereo typing must be infuriating.

freetoanyhome Wed 10-Oct-12 09:32:02

you're right Jessie.

jessiegee Wed 10-Oct-12 14:11:19

It's just this sort of rubbish that gives us the reputation for being gobby, loud, interfering, princessy, bossy, moneyed, over-priveliged and self-righteous. Watching this, you can understand why people could easily come away with that impression. I suppose bog standard quiet, unassuming and calm Jewish mothers wouldn't want to go on programmes like this. Or if they did, they'd not be selected. Argggggh. It makes me embarrassed to be Jewish.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now