Downton Abbey Discussion continued...

(1000 Posts)
ErikNorseman Sun 07-Oct-12 22:08:05

Here!

squoosh Mon 08-Oct-12 12:20:59

I'm thrilled Edith is becoming a 'woman with a cause'. She has recovered remarkably well from her jilting though.

I'd still be lying in bed swigging vodka, dried snot all over my face, listening to Tom Waits.

squoosh Mon 08-Oct-12 12:22:09

Does anyone else think Charlie's Grandad will kick the bucket and his lovely Granny will then bring Charlie and Ethel back together and they'll live as a happy trio?

I thought the actress who plays Ethel did really well last night.

SlightlySuperiorPeasant Mon 08-Oct-12 12:22:55

Aww, I cried at the Charlie bit. There's no way that he would have gone off so easily in RL though - bribed with a teddy?! I think not. Hopefully the old grouch will die ASAP and Ethel will be taken in by his nice wife, having polished her cooking skills with Mrs C.

Mary is unable to have children perhaps? sad Matthew looked quite hopeful didn't he?!

Matthew is going to have to have it out with Lord G. Why is he living at DA? Seems extremely odd - why live with your ILs when you could have the pick of some vair nice houses roundabouts, Downton House for example...

No apology from Sir Anthony. Hmm. I thought he might have committed suicide from the shame of it but apparently not. I foresee a bitter, wife-in-the-attic old age for him.

The Bates story is extremely boring. Either be found innocent and run off to London or get stabbed in a jail fight, I don't care, just go away so I have a chance to scrub my retinas <shudder>

Branson to be hanged.

Edith to be a very swish Someone.

Bates, just

Chubfuddler Mon 08-Oct-12 12:27:41

I suppose pickle has had a gradual political awakening over the years - first as a conchie and then in the light of rising nationalism in Ireland in the 1920s.

Moln Mon 08-Oct-12 13:21:09

But Slightly Downton House is just so cramped. It'd be so awful for them.

On that note can anyone else figure out why Mary was getting the old nursery converted into a sitting room for Matthew and her. Surely to goodness there isn't a shortage of rooms in the Abbey that a) there isn't already a spare sitting room b) Matthew wouldn't be worried as to where they might find a room for the day nursery

LizLemon007 Mon 08-Oct-12 13:24:19

I think Lady Edith always knew on one level that marriage and babies wouldn't be her path.

LadyHarrietdeSpook Mon 08-Oct-12 13:27:54

Will anyone else admit to have NO IDEA what is going on with Bates, what the to and fro is about, who the characters are they are on about, how it all started...and ended? It just randomly ended...didn't it?

I have no idea what all the mumbling is about. I realise I have been making tea/pouring wine for some of the bits but I tried to engage last night.

I got the Vera Bates friend part but I can't follow what is happening internally, in the prison. NOt one whit.

squoosh Mon 08-Oct-12 13:29:06

I think there'll be bit of the green eyed monster from Mary towards Edith, as Edith will start to have a rollicking time and Mary will be stuck in an endless loop of tea with Granny and Cousin Matthew.

LizLemon007 Mon 08-Oct-12 13:30:00

What is Lady Edith's cause?

Is tom on the run or something now?

squoosh Mon 08-Oct-12 13:30:40

The Bates story seems to have grown and grown (much like Bates himself), it should have been sorted aaaages ago but it just keeps rumbling along. I'm annoyed as it looks like he didn't murder Mrs Bates. That was the only bit of interest I had left in that story.

squoosh Mon 08-Oct-12 13:31:40

Edith is channelling Beyonce and singing 'All the Single Ladies (under 30 should be allowed to vote). There'll be booty shaking before long.

I couldn't give a monkeys what happens to Bates, that whole storyline is a waste of space.

LizLemon007 Mon 08-Oct-12 13:37:10

THat bed scene with anna and bates last season was gross. eeeowooowowowo

Good for Edith!

Saltire Mon 08-Oct-12 13:42:14

Am I the only one who records it then fast forwards past all the scenes with bates in prison?
Bates getting his cell searched
Bates walking round a square of concrete
Bates getting his cell searched
Bates walking round a square of concrete

squoosh Mon 08-Oct-12 13:43:51

Stop showing off with your fancying recording devices. I practically have to wind my television up, never mind all your new fangled pausing and recording.

Mollydoggerson Mon 08-Oct-12 13:45:13

Bates did a bit of knitting last night, prison isn't all bad afterall.

LizLemon007 Mon 08-Oct-12 13:45:40

I wish Saltire! am I the only person in the world who gets the 7 irish channels and that is IT. (one is in irish btw, and it's nto the worst channel. one is rte junior, and one is a news channel.

got a note through the door today sky for 25e a month. NOPE can't do it........

LizLemon007 Mon 08-Oct-12 13:47:07

in the good ol' days you could get bbc & c4 without fancy equipment, but now that we've gone digital and that's 'better' you need ten minutes training to turn on the tv, and you can't get anything but the most basic channels unless you stump up for them! bah

ppeatfruit Mon 08-Oct-12 14:02:15

Saltire I would if I could too, I usually let the cat out or make a cup of something and no I don't know WTF or care much what is going on with the Bates story. I like Anna though and wish the story was concluded satisfactorily for her sake

ppeatfruit Mon 08-Oct-12 14:03:01

I DO know it's not real BTW blush grin

NonnoMum Mon 08-Oct-12 14:08:41

Bates' bed in prison looked vair vair comfy with his eiderdown covers. Probably a bit more swish than the servants quarters at Downton.

Poor old Mary and Cousin Matthew not placing it in the right bit - you won't be making babies like that, Matty-boy...

Edith to witness Emily Wilding Davison under the Kings Horse?

Lovely Sybil to give birth and then join Storm model agency, leaving IRA man to campaign for funds in the US of A?

Moln Mon 08-Oct-12 14:11:24

I don't mind Bates, and I like Anna lots

Branston is indeed on the run, he is thought to be one of the main burner-downers of a castle belonging to an Anglo-Irish family (he however says he was just there to watch the burning)

With the Bates thing, he cell mate was being a Very Naugty Boy, and one of the prison guards (Mean Guard) was helping him be this. Bates witness this, so the Mean Guard got him but on the dangerous prisoner list (by sayin Very Naughty Boy cellmate had had an act of violence on him), which meant that Bates would not be allowed visitors, nor would be receive any mail, nor would any of his letters be posted. However Bate's cell mate got set up, organised between Bates and Other Prisoner. The Straight as the Day is Long Prison Guard, then informed Bates of he was off the list and so would get all visiting right and mailing rights back.

ppeatfruit Mon 08-Oct-12 14:21:57

OOH thanks moin. That's one of the reasons Pickle probably chose for not working in a posh house in Ire. the Anglo Irish were known to be nasty anti catholics.

campion Mon 08-Oct-12 15:02:12

Emily Davison croaked that way about 8 years ago, Nonno.

Edith's job is obviously to bear the Downton heir - only boys allowed - as Mary's got women's troubles and doesn't really fancy Matthew anyway. In fact, it was a bit of a waste of time marrying her off to him ( was it the other way?). A bit of quiet surrogacy coming up??

Matthew and Mary shaping up to win most tedious couple.

Davros Mon 08-Oct-12 15:26:00

I always thought it was plot morse and meant sentimentality

This thread is not accepting new messages.