Downton Abbey Discussion continued...

(1000 Posts)
ErikNorseman Sun 07-Oct-12 22:08:05

Here!

ppeatfruit Mon 08-Oct-12 08:16:01

Yes visual to be married in a Catholic church then (the non R.C.) partner had to sign to say you were going to have any DCs bought up catholics. I don't remember or I missed their wedding anyone remember where they married?

Chubfuddler Mon 08-Oct-12 08:46:25

They got married at Downton between the end of series 2 and before the Christmas special.

diddl Mon 08-Oct-12 08:51:49

I thought that they married at the village church?

Moln Mon 08-Oct-12 09:11:14

They married in Ireland, I'm sure they did,there was ref to Lord 6 not travelling for it.

I'd be fairly sure, given Pickles my way atittude, they married in the Catholic faith, strongly possibility Sybil would have had to convert to get married to him, even if she didn't she'd have promised to raise all children Catholic. there's going to be issues!

diddl Mon 08-Oct-12 09:25:17

I´m sure I remember Violet discussing it whilst walking from the church.

But thinking on, that doesn´t mean they had just been married there-it wouldn´t have happened, would it?

ppeatfruit Mon 08-Oct-12 09:26:38

I love it grin!! 3 different answers to my question! that really says something about the script\direction or whatever!

diddl Mon 08-Oct-12 09:29:49

Iirc-Cora was still ill?

I think I´m confused because the wedding was discussed by Violet whilst leaving the church & for some reason I was thinking that they must have just married.

But it would have been shown, wouldn´t it?

I think she was making up an acceptable "back story" for Branson as someone had just asked about them?

Moln Mon 08-Oct-12 09:31:59

Check Downton w
iki page - I can't because I'm on my phone and it gas a knicker fit if I try to look at a non mobile site and internally collapses!

diddl Mon 08-Oct-12 09:34:25

I think that they were leaving Lavinia´s funeral-that´s what the church has got to do with it!

So Violet was discussing a back story with Robert as they were going to be married.

ppeatfruit Mon 08-Oct-12 09:53:33

MAYBE THEY'RE NOT MARRIED shock gasp (collapse of Lady so and so) grin

Moln Mon 08-Oct-12 09:59:42

the website is www.downton.wikia.com

I can't even look at word as it's blocked!

Moln Mon 08-Oct-12 10:01:15

work not word!

LadyHarrietdeSpook Mon 08-Oct-12 10:32:09

Branson is unbelievable - 'Irish revolutionary' legging it to his artistocratic wife's family's place in England. That fake sobbing in the bedroom.

"But Tom wants the baby born in Dublin!?" After she'd just arrived back - presumably on RyanAir into Liverpool. NO worries, get Carson online to book the return leg this afternoon. It would have been so easy to to and fro at that time, esp as a very pregnant lady.

I love how they just go down and sort things out with the home secretary to keep their ilk out of trouble. To be frank, that's probably the most realistic thing about the whole episode last night.

squoosh Mon 08-Oct-12 11:00:08

I think there a little more to Constance Markievicz's story than being 'a Lady who married a polish man left him and shacked up with an IRA man'

hmm

squoosh Mon 08-Oct-12 11:00:45

Constance Markievicz was the first woman ever to be elected to Westminster.

LizLemon007 Mon 08-Oct-12 11:02:03

Not only would he NEVER have married her, he wouldn't even have taken employment with a family of the ruling class ykwim? whole thing ridiculous, which is unlike Julian Fellowes isn't it? He could have worked in a cousin (along the same lines as Matthew) who had been brought up in Ireland and he could have been involved somehow in more political way, a la charles stewart Parnell who was church of Ireland/England.

squoosh Mon 08-Oct-12 11:07:14

Oh and just to say Branson presumably a member of the IRA. This is the Old IRA not to be confused with the terrorist organisation which appropriated the name and killed and maimed indiscriminately in the latter stages of the 20th century.

squoosh Mon 08-Oct-12 11:07:42

The whole Branson story is beyond ridiculous.

LizLemon007 Mon 08-Oct-12 11:08:36

The Nei Temerei (sp?) that thing is called! Where the catholic church try to make the non catholic marrying a catholic promist to raise all children catholic. explains why church of ireland churches fuller than catholic churches these days I think!

Moln Mon 08-Oct-12 11:11:33

Ha ha squoosh yes there's more to her story than that grin

squoosh Mon 08-Oct-12 11:13:55

She was also one of the first women in the world to hold a cabinet position.

Wooo! Go Constance!

ppeatfruit Mon 08-Oct-12 11:15:12

Which means it's probably true! squoosh lizlemon If you need work you go where you can to get it. Oh and did you know that they put last week's DA on at 4 or 5p.m.ish on Sunday afternoon?

squoosh Mon 08-Oct-12 11:18:48

Ummm, nope, a Republican fire brand would not have gone across the water to doff his cap at the British aristocracy.

LizLemon007 Mon 08-Oct-12 12:15:42

ppeatfruit, I don't think he would have taken a job with the granthams with his views. Taht doesn't stack up.. Maybe gone to England to make his fortune as a business man??, but he could have 'gone into service' in Ireland. Plenty of rich families he could have doffed his cap to closer to home.

LizLemon007 Mon 08-Oct-12 12:17:01

I have to watch it on tv3! :-( (three day wait. I will be out this wednesday. tempted to say 'doh, em, wednesday?? downton abbeeeeeeeeeeeee'

This thread is not accepting new messages.