Doctor Who Geeks , new thread!

(637 Posts)
TheAngelshavetheOod Sun 30-Sep-12 13:13:40

Hope no one else hasn't started one

cakebot River got to 1938 but the TARDIS couldn't. She said that it was because the vortex manipulator could sneak through

fancyanother Mon 20-May-13 17:59:56

Didnt the Timelords banish Jon Pertwee to punish him for something bad he did too? Surely if he had done something that bad before he was Hartnell, he would have been punished for that too? Also, it's only the recent ones, from what I remember who have a complex about how bad they are- DT when Davros called him the destroyer of worlds etc? I do think he's a missing Doctor. They also seem to reference MS as the 11th Doctor a lot more, so it may be significant i.e: He's not the 11th Doctor?

I really hope Clara is something to do with River. He's been living with her ghost all that time because he couldnt bear to let her go, and if he has just had to, it would be nice if Clara was a little legacy smile although there has been a bit too much flirting for her to be his daughter...

Pixel Mon 20-May-13 18:04:33

So, if it was an inbetweeny Doctor who did the BAD THING it must have been Paul McGann. I never did trust him shock. That movie was terrible and one of those things you wish you could wipe from your memory. He was never a 'proper' Doctor to me!

ShipwreckedAndComatose Mon 20-May-13 18:05:03

The timelords (the white guardian) also sent Romana, also a timelord, to work with Tom Baker's Dr on some sort of quest in one series...

I remember it being significant as the timelords were having to depend on Tom Baker and sort of forgive him.

RustyBear Mon 20-May-13 18:43:43

William Hartnell's Doctor said right at the beginning that he and Susan were exiles from their home planet, but that 'one day we will go back' - but it's never been clarified specifically as to why he left. Patrick Troughton carried on running from the Time Lords, but in his final story, The War Games, he had to ask them for help to put things right after the War Lords, helped by a renegade Time Lord, had been taking soldiers out of their original time zones and using them in the War Games.

Once the crisis was over, the Time Lords forced the Doctor to return to Gallifrey and put him on trial for crimes against Time Lord non-interference laws (not the same trial as the one the Valeyard participated in, that was later). His companions Jamie and Zoe were put back in their proper time-streams, just after their first adventure with the Doctor, but before they left with him in the TARDIS. The Doctor was sentenced to be exiled to Earth, and the secret of how to travel in the TARDIS was taken from his memory. He objected that it could be very embarrassing for he him to be exiled on Earth, as he was already known there, so the Time Lords agreed to change his appearance (it could actually be argued that this wasn't a true 'regeneration' which could mean that even if there was an extra Doctor between 8 & 9, 11 would still be 11)

So the Doctor changed to Jon Pertwee, was sent to Earth in the TARDIS and spent the next few years working for UNIT, with the Brigadier, who he had already met in The Web of Fear (the second Yeti/Great Intelligence story) and Invasion (a Cybermen story) and trying to fix the TARDIS.

After saving the Earth a few times, the Doctor was allowed out on a leash by the Time Lords, giving him journeys in the TARDIS controlled by them to go to solve problems they wanted sorted. Eventually, after he saved Gallifrey in the Three Doctors (the 10th anniversary special) he was given complete freedom, though the Time Lords did occasionally still send him on missions or recall him to Gallifrey to solve their problems. After one of these adventures he almost accidentally became the President of the Time Lords, but promptly left again.

The White Guardian who sent him on The Key to Time mission was not actually a Time Lord, he was an anthropomorphic representation of order, as opposed to the Black Guardian, who represented chaos. Though presumably the Doctor was sent with the Time Lords co-operation as he was given Time Lady Romana as a companion.

LadyKinbote Mon 20-May-13 18:58:02

Rusty I'm getting the impression you've watched this before...

DH has a theory that - wait for it - River is Clara. She's one of the many baby Claras sent back through time to save the Doctor but obviously a unique one because she was conceived on the Tardis. It's a bit out there but then I laughed when DH predicted Jack would become the Face of Bo and he turned out to be right about that one!

RustyBear Mon 20-May-13 19:17:09

Right from the first episode, LadyKinbote -I was 7.

LadyKinbote Mon 20-May-13 19:32:10

Wow. I've only really fallen in love with it since the shiny new RTD version but this latest series is making me want to go back and watch some old ones now!

RustyBear Mon 20-May-13 19:42:09

If anyone still has a VHS video player and wants some free videos of old episodes, pm me! We have rather a lot which we have replaced with DVDs stacked (appropriately) behind the sofa. Can't bring myself to just chuck them out and our local charity shops won't take VHS any more.

ShipwreckedAndComatose Mon 20-May-13 19:44:58

<impressed icon>
I've been watching since the early seventies. I can remember the regeneration of Pertwee to Tom Baker and looking forward to the episode.

So, Rusty, do you have any theories??

RustyBear Mon 20-May-13 19:52:02

I'm much better on history than theories! grin

ShipwreckedAndComatose Mon 20-May-13 20:12:24

grin

specialsubject Mon 20-May-13 22:34:41

I also have some videos if anyone wants them.

a selection of recommended old-school 'Who' (comes as 25 minute episodes, usually 4 or 6 to a story)

Pertwee: Spearhead from Space, Inferno, Claws of Axos, Terror of the Autons
Tom Baker; Ark in Space, Seeds of Doom, Robots of Death, Horror of Fang Rock, Talons of Weng-Chiang, City of Death, Keeper of Traken

before that; very slow and dated. After that - not very good until the 2005 reboot!

(In my humble scarf-wearing opinion, of course..)

Pixel Mon 20-May-13 23:51:44

All explained here. grin

ShipwreckedAndComatose Tue 21-May-13 07:20:42

That really does explain it all.

Though I am upset that he gave away the Davros and captain Jack plot twists [anger] grin

fancyanother Tue 21-May-13 08:11:54

Rusty My DS would LOVE some of those, but I dont know how to PM you! We have a video recorder that my DH refuses to get rid of, just in case- I think I may stop taking the piss out of him about it if I get some old Doctor Who videos to watch on it!!

fancyanother Tue 21-May-13 08:12:58

* Special* My DS has watched The Time Meddler about 10 times (William Hartnell) and loves it- and hes only 5!

RustyBear Tue 21-May-13 09:57:13

fancyanother - have pm'd you. I am going to make a list of the ones I've got,but I may not be able to get round to it till next week, as it's half term then. I'll post it on this thread and people can let me know if there are any they'd like - first come first served! I'm asking people to make a donation to the Stroke Association instead of paying me postage.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Sat 25-May-13 22:27:12

Just watched 11th May and 18th May back to back.

Now that's what I call Who.

RustyBear Mon 27-May-13 12:53:06

I've finally managed to make my list - I've PM'd it to OYBBK for first choice, as she was the first to contact me. Then I'll send the remaining list to Fancyanother, and the post it on here for the rest of you, if there is anyone else who can still play VHS.

smile

RustyBear Mon 27-May-13 18:40:55

....and if there are any left! grin

blush

Thank you rustybear - you have really really made my day/month/year! dd's too, you should have seen her face when we unpacked them.

We've just put in our donation to the Stroke Association. smile

RustyBear Sat 01-Jun-13 18:40:46

Hope you find room for them! Haven't heard from Fancyanother yet, but will let you know what's left after she's had hers so you can make another trip!

Happy watching!

RustyBear Sat 01-Jun-13 19:02:15

And thank you for the chilli plant and the bara brith and the Pinot - my favourite!

My iPad just tried to turn bara brith into 'barbarity'...)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now