Doctor Who Geeks , new thread!

(637 Posts)
TheAngelshavetheOod Sun 30-Sep-12 13:13:40

Hope no one else hasn't started one

cakebot River got to 1938 but the TARDIS couldn't. She said that it was because the vortex manipulator could sneak through

SoupDragon Sat 11-May-13 20:03:27

Fabulous smile thoroughly enjoyed it.

Apart from the whole Borg rip off.

ShipwreckedAndComatose Sat 11-May-13 20:05:29

grin

And a bit of Special effects from The Matrix!

Loved the nod to 'The hand of Fear'!

RustyBear Sat 11-May-13 20:07:10
marjproops Sat 11-May-13 20:11:06

didnt get a good review in the tv mags so was glad it was a brilliant episode. loved seeing all the doctors appearing, the 9th/10th doctor accen and allons-ey thing, Matts acting was brilliant, hes usually goos anyway but excelled himself today.

love Warwick Davis, the kids were a bit annoying the wesley crusher bit with the girl guessing about the emporor but apart from that, behind the cushion stuff for DC, enough tension to keep one focussed, yes, a fab episode.

KayHarker Sat 11-May-13 20:13:52

Absolutely loved it. Loved the slight smile Matt gave at the end while thinking about Clara's skirt.

Oodsigma Sat 11-May-13 20:15:46

So any guesses for the final?
And how River fits in?

MavisGrind Sat 11-May-13 20:18:39

When you start considering MNing during an episode of Doctor Who you know it's not going well... I had high hopes for this week as I loved the Gaiman episode last time but I was just a bit bored by it all. It seemed a bit tricksy and self reference-y but not in a good way. <sigh>

Last weeks was the only really good episode of the entire series. Is it too much to hope that next week will make it 2 out of 8??

marjproops Sat 11-May-13 20:18:49

what was floating in space at the end? it looked like a ring with a blue cyberlight thing?

do wish though the Doctor wouldnt keep fancying his companions, i like him when hes a mystery alien, not a hot blooded male IYKWIM.

ladymalfoy Sat 11-May-13 20:24:15

Soup I agree there have been too many snitched bits from loads of other sci fi films and TV shows and not in a good way. I really hope they aren't trying to kill it off again.

MavisGrind Sat 11-May-13 20:25:41

Just watched the prequel, managed to be bored by that as well (perhaps I just need to go to bed..)

I agree marj Ever since Rose Tyler we've had the tedious love interest thing going on (except, of course, the fabulous Donna). I just want them to get on with great adventures.

SoupDragon Sat 11-May-13 20:35:47

I thought it was the hand of a cyber man floating at the end. all cyber tech was meant to have been destroyed but it clearly wasn't.

I thought it was rubbish. I like my cybermen traditional, not bonkers.

KayHarker Sat 11-May-13 20:54:32

they can't kill off the cybermen completely - you lways have to leave the remnant or else how can they appear in future stories.

I think Clara is a creation of the Great Intelligence, a sort of perfect companion trap for the Doctor.

Arcadie Sat 11-May-13 21:04:00

Kay, I think you're right. The prequel seems to suggest she's been engineered to keep him busy and away from something- perhaps akin to the Better than Life game in Red Dwarf??

Arcadie Sat 11-May-13 21:04:46

Oh

Arcadie Sat 11-May-13 21:06:30

And, thought Matt Smith was awesome tonight. Well written for him to show of some actual acting!

(Sorry, pressed post too early on last message)

KayHarker Sat 11-May-13 21:20:45

And I love the prequel - how she is presented as quite taken with him, but not in love, and the way he thinks she's perfect - largely I imagine, because she flirts and strokes his ego, but presents no actual romantic threat. He's a big old tease, so he is.

Pixel Sat 11-May-13 22:55:28

I'd have left those kids in the coma.

pinkteddy Sat 11-May-13 23:01:55

Enjoyed tonight. Did anyone else notice that Trenzalore was mentioned in the Doctors Wife - also written by Gaiman? Speculation that Clara could be River and the Doctor's child on Guardian website!

Pixel Sat 11-May-13 23:12:00

So did I hear right? (I was keeping an eye on dinner), the policy is that if one cyberman is found then the whole planet is destroyed?
Bet the cybermen love that, they only ever need to send in one 'soldier' and that's it, job done!

Pixel Sat 11-May-13 23:22:33

I just watched the prequel, thanks Rustybear, for some reason we can never get the red button thing to work.
Am I the only one who doesn't want to know the Doctor's name?

LadyKinbote Sun 12-May-13 06:53:18

I'd love it if the Doctor's name thing turned out to be an anti-climax:
"What's your name?"
"Simon"
"Oh"

Oodsigma Sun 12-May-13 07:05:36

Me too lady grin

I think Clara is engineered as a distraction. Though whether its to distract from a plot (set up by baddy) or from the dr sinking into depression (set up by River)I'm not sure. Also wondered if he's in some sort of alternate reality.

Oodsigma Sun 12-May-13 07:07:01

“…on the Fields of Trenzalore, at the fall of the Eleventh, when no creature can speak falsely or fail to answer, a question will be asked—a question that must never be answered…”

—Dorium Maldovar (Doctor Who)

SoupDragon Sun 12-May-13 07:57:33

they only ever need to send in one 'soldier' and that's it, job done!

Although aren't they really into upgrading everyone rather than simple destruction?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now