Doctor Who Geeks , new thread!

(637 Posts)
TheAngelshavetheOod Sun 30-Sep-12 13:13:40

Hope no one else hasn't started one

cakebot River got to 1938 but the TARDIS couldn't. She said that it was because the vortex manipulator could sneak through

teejwood Fri 19-Apr-13 17:17:56

Ohh fabby link Ood! DS has decided that means that Clara is actually River's daughter. Personally will be glad to see River back <girlcrush>

The impossible thing - two tardii/doctors in the same space? Maybe DT isn't just filming for the 50th wink

Oodsigma Fri 19-Apr-13 19:11:49

I love River too.

marjproops Sat 20-Apr-13 19:35:07

FANTASTIC EPISODE TODAY. PROPER DOCTOR WHO STUFF. BRILLIANT. DC AND I HIDING BEHIND CUSHIONS!

Oodsigma Sat 20-Apr-13 19:36:29

Yep, enjoyed that. Anyone else looking suspiciously at statues(?) under sheets?

marjproops Sat 20-Apr-13 19:40:06

OOD yes! DC was saying 'why arent the statues moving'? thought the weeping angels were going to pop up for a mo.

Clara gets better each episode. loved her getting the tardis to get the Doctor.

KayHarker Sat 20-Apr-13 19:49:09

Pleased tonight, that was much better. Clara remains a mystery, and I am really enjoying her relationship with the TARDIS.

My kids were suitably freaked out too, which I always enjoy [weird mother]

SoupDragon Sat 20-Apr-13 19:53:49

Yes, very good episode smile

marjproops Sat 20-Apr-13 19:54:53

theres something suspicious between clara and the Tardis.I cant remember the tardis being 'mean' to any other companion?

also, loved that thing Emma was wearing on her head, reminded me of 'the ark in space' whe 4th doctor wore a contraption like that.

RealityQuake Sat 20-Apr-13 19:59:14

Tardis was mean to Jack, something about him being not normal and the Tardis wanting to shake him off, but that was quickly dropped.

Enjoyed it though wanted more with the time traveler, DH got my hopes up that she might join as a companion but it cut off suddenly with very little of her.

RustyBear Sat 20-Apr-13 20:00:29

Why does the 11th Doctor pronounce Metebelis Three differently from the 3rd?

Davros Sat 20-Apr-13 20:22:03

Can't bear MS's Doctor. Good episode spoilt by him and JL-C. Love Dougray Scott and Jennifer thing from midwives

I liked the episode but I thought it got a bit too 'busy' and complicated towards the end

DontmindifIdo Sat 20-Apr-13 21:28:51

Yes, the Tardis didn't like Jack as he wasn't right in time etc, so perhaps Clara's the same, not quite right timewise...

Loved that episode, very scary though.

Choccyjules Sat 20-Apr-13 21:32:20

I needed a cushion too! Loved Clara appealing to the Tardis girl to girl.

SESthebrave Sat 20-Apr-13 22:26:52

Agreed - it was a better episode. Bit of a slow start and fantastic as the pace built. I loved when he was explaining to Clara that it was an old fashioned love story and suddenly removed his arm from around her shoulders. I also think MS did a scared Dr Who in the forest very well.

Metebilis 3! shock I know, I thought I'd misheard, rubbish pronunciation. Love the old references but wish they'd do their homework.

Some echoes of the story with Sylvester McCoy and Ace in the haunted house (but that was vampires)

Choccyjules Sat 20-Apr-13 22:52:55

Also using the empathetic girl way past her, um, boundaries, reminded me of the Dickens one with The One Who Went into Torchwood.

teejwood Sat 20-Apr-13 23:01:32

I'm going to need a re-watch on this as DC2 was a bit jumpy so missed bits but first impressions were OK.

OK rather than good because it just seemed a bit overblown at the end. The whole, "oh there's another monster, we must reunite the lovers after reuniting the family" upped the saccharine level, perhaps at the expense of finishing the family's story properly. And really, Dougray Scott asking the Doctor what the future holds for him and Jessica's character? Ummm - OK so here's the evidence from far into the future, whaddaya think?

Also - surely to be a super successful secret agent you need to be able to read people, so him not knowing that he was on to a sure thing with Jessica throwing doe eyes at him was more unbelievable than that absorbaloff outfit from a few years ago. Perhaps that's supposed to be a reflection of the Doctor's unintentional pulling power? If so then this ep again is not about the story itself but all about self-congratulatory nods to Who history (eg the references to Metabilis 3 and the Eye of Harmony) for long term/non-casual viewers.

It was better than Rings for me, but again felt rushed (as well as overblown) at the end.

One thing that did ping my radar, big time - Clara does not know common human phrases. I'll need to re-watch to note the specifics, but some of the lines of dialogue really struck me as awkward or not what I was expecting. Whatever Clara is, for such a well-read girl, I no longer believe that she is a normal human girl. In fact, her misuse of language almost echoes the Doctor in some respects...

That's true. And there was a bit of poltergeist in there too.

(Was referring to Choccy, but agree with tj)

BalloonSlayer Sun 21-Apr-13 07:37:21

I didn't get the bit about "the lovers" ie the scary monsters. DH said there was one in the wood and one in the house - is that right?

Re Clara and the common human phrases - I had not noticed that but will watch out for it. I had noticed her saying "Oh my stars" which is something I have never heard anyone say, but then her Mum said it too so I thought that explained that. One thing about her that annoys me is that her accent is a London one but once in a while she pronounces something in a "Northern Fashion." I'd put this down to J-L C's accent slipping (she's been in Emmerdale, apparently wink )but maybe, given teej's theory, it is deliberate?

Davros Sun 21-Apr-13 08:28:18

Why did The Doctor keep talking about health and safety? It would have been fairly meaningless to most people in 1974 and not a phrase you'd generally hear or recognise. I think he said it three times. I just so wish they'd been original in the casting. Clara is just another young tasty bird, albeit with lots of supposed depth in her character and back story and MS is another ( potentially attractive to some) young bloke. I also can't get past:
MS = gurning ham

teejwood Sun 21-Apr-13 10:53:08

BalloonSlayer yes there were two monsters - one in the wood and one is the house.

Davros - the ep was set in the early 70's, was it 1974? The Health and Safety at Work Act was introduced in 1974. So it's the writer/Moff going "look how clever we are with our historical in-jokes. miss it? we'll clubyouovertheheadwithit mention it again!"

Also in 1974 - the arrival of Tom Baker (who was my doctor - until DT came along to share the honours!), after the Third Doctor died from radiation poisoning from - wait for it - crystals from Metabilis 3. I should like all these references to the old days but feel the way they are being crowbar-ed in is detracting from the ep itself iykwim.

iklboo Sun 21-Apr-13 11:21:12

Jenna LC is from the north. She was born in Blackpool.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now