Doctor Who Geeks , new thread!

(637 Posts)
TheAngelshavetheOod Sun 30-Sep-12 13:13:40

Hope no one else hasn't started one

cakebot River got to 1938 but the TARDIS couldn't. She said that it was because the vortex manipulator could sneak through

iklboo Sun 07-Apr-13 20:00:24

William Hartnell's doctor travelled with his granddaughter.

Susan is the doctors granddaughter. This is a bit from her wiki page Susan falls in love with David Campbell, a young freedom fighter in the 22nd century.

Clara's dad is called Dave........

Fiderer Sun 07-Apr-13 20:28:37

I liked the singing too. And the idea of the emotion/song/story energy devouring entity. Just planet sized and then fading away didn't work, I thought.

Just realised the girl was Alice in Utopia. Talented girl.

AaDB Sun 07-Apr-13 22:58:54

Clara's mum is called Ellie, I think.

RustyBear Mon 08-Apr-13 07:28:24

DH and I are hoping that the mention of the Doctor's granddaughter is a prelude to her appearing in the anniversary episode....

Fiderer Mon 08-Apr-13 07:36:05

Rusty I was trying to think what reason there must be for the reference to the granddaughter.

Read that Christopher Eccleston won't be in the anniversary episode. Love the picture of DT and MS that GreenShadow posted.

Oodsigma Mon 08-Apr-13 07:43:45

Me too rusty

LadyKinbote Mon 08-Apr-13 07:47:39

Just re-watching it with my 5yo and it's about the right level for her. That's the trouble with DW, it has to appeal to such a range of viewers. What makes an interesting episode to me and DH is very different to what makes a good episode for her! I think the grandaughter comment was a throwaway to remind us of his age and the fact that there's so much we don't know about him. (Peter Cushing travelled with his granddaughter Susan but he doesn't 'count' - something we disagree with in our family incidentally!)

RustyBear Mon 08-Apr-13 08:25:31

But both the Peter Cushing films were rehashes of William Hartnell stories, so they can't really count as 'canon'. In fact it was at the end of the story that was retold in the second film that Susan fell in love with David Campbell and obviously Roberta Tovey was too young for that!

ShipwreckedAndComatose Mon 08-Apr-13 09:51:10
LadyKinbote Mon 08-Apr-13 10:42:05

Didn't know that Rusty, we clearly have much to learn!

marjproops Mon 08-Apr-13 18:05:39

Chris ecclestone from what ive read is quite embarrased (for want of a better word) for his role in DW? like hes a 'respected' actoooor and took on a job to make money or get his profile bigger, then prog escalated into super popularity and thats why he left, didnt want to be typecast, (dont think any other DW actor had this alleged attitude, theyve all said theyre proud of it). im sure that was in a mag or the news at the time and now he wants nothing to do with DW?

someone correct me as he was great in the role and its cos of him i became a Whovian.

marjproops Mon 08-Apr-13 18:08:08

if they did an '11'doctors type thing they should get Sean pertwee to play the 3rd doc as he looks l;ike his dad, and i always thought Tom Hardy has an Ecclestone look about him so maybe him as the 9th.

teejwood Mon 08-Apr-13 22:56:24

Shipwrecked thanks for the link - agree with quite a lot of that article. Sometimes I feel like the standalone eps are sacrificed a little at the alter of the series arc, which itself can be a bit of a damp squib.

The leaf really annoyed me, actually. If it's supposed to be the same leaf the doctor licked last week then at least use the same type of leaf <grumble>

DP's theory of the week is that Clara does not exist, she is a projection of some kind and that is why the Tardis is not being nice to her, or translating for her, because she isn't there. But surely Moffat can't be giving us another series where nothing actually happens, or anything that does happen is negated with a big reset button?!

teejwood Mon 08-Apr-13 23:10:07

marj getting Who back on telly was tough and pressurised. There were a lot of naysayers and a lot of people expecting the team to fall flat on its face. I think as a result there was quite a lot of tension on set. Chris Ecc has said that he felt there was a bullying atmosphere and he didn't want to be part of that and that is why he quit. Fine.

I don't think it's about embarrassment, tbf. He put himself forward for the role having worked with RTD before. And he's since been in Heroes, GI Joe and Thor - not exactly classical theatre. However, it is true that being in Who - and particularly being The Doctor - can be career suicide. Yes you have fame and everyone knows who you are, but then you risk being typecast or just put in a position where casting directors don't consider you for different roles, so you don't get much of anything. IMVVHO, CE knew this and decided that he didn't want to hang around that long. Completely fair enough. His career, his decision. He was part of the team that resurrected Doctor Who for telly, made it a huge success, and for that I thank him. "Fantastic!".

teejwood Mon 08-Apr-13 23:11:47

disclaimer - I have seen CE on stage in classical theatre post-Who and he was v good grin

teejwood Mon 08-Apr-13 23:17:34

meant to say, Marj - Pertwee junior would be FAB addition to the 50th grin

AaDB Tue 09-Apr-13 09:57:52

Buzzfeed's Major problems introduced in this week's Dr Who...

This may not have been the best stand alone episode but it introduces a puzzle will hopefully set the scene. It is one of the programs I look forward to most. For me, the anticlimax is because it isn't on frequently enough.

ShipwreckedAndComatose Tue 09-Apr-13 10:08:53
RustyBear Tue 09-Apr-13 10:36:39

Hmm - love that bit about Peter Cushing 'would later gain fame...in Star Wars' in the US, maybe, but he was actually pretty famous before....

Oodsigma Tue 09-Apr-13 17:25:47

Noooo noooooo noooooooo!

But that link is 18 months old, surely it isn't still happening is it?

Oodsigma Tue 09-Apr-13 17:52:27

<phew>

marjproops Tue 09-Apr-13 18:15:05

Thanx for clearing the CE thing tee.

and the 11 docs thing, there could be a timey-wimey excuse for TB CB PD and SMCCoy looking older?

now who would be good for the 2nd doc? not his son, he looks nothing like PT.

Im thinking Jon Hamm.saw him in a drama on skyarts and hes got that sort of 'face'.hmm

RustyBear Tue 09-Apr-13 19:07:40

Reece Shearsmith is playing Patrick Troughton in 'An Adventure in Space and Time', marj....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now