Montalbano

(75 Posts)
MrsGuyOfGisbourne Sat 25-Aug-12 15:52:48

Just seen the series is being repeated starting tonight on BBC4

aloiseb Fri 16-Nov-12 19:27:47

As for maudlin, Frontpaw, how much more maudlin than dreaming of attending your own funeral?

aloiseb Fri 16-Nov-12 19:26:44

I've been catching up with these slowly on the Sky box (due to rebellion of locals, we have to watch "I'm a celeb" every night now until Kingdom come, or they all die)
I loved the most recent one I watched, except that I'm not sure about that gull - it didn't look like the ones in the air. Wasn't itm, in fact, an albatross?

Hope not significant sad

Frontpaw Thu 18-Oct-12 17:27:37

They don't actually say what you she does for work. And he isn't such a naughty boy in the books either (very grumpy, maudlin and he has hair).

MrsSalvoMontalbano Thu 18-Oct-12 17:23:43

Yes, interesting about her. I think it is becasue she is a device - ie to make Salvo off the market without the difficulty of making her a wife, which would change the whole dynamic. No-one would have a relation ship like theirs in RL!

Frontpaw Thu 18-Oct-12 15:52:33

But what have they done with Livia? She's in the books more.

Ditto the restaurant and balcony. They're the images that spring to mind.

MrsSalvoMontalbano Wed 10-Oct-12 14:13:08

lol @ stalking imaginary detective! The places I would want to go are the restaurant, lighthouse and his balcony blush.

Alameda Wed 10-Oct-12 12:02:53

Montalbano fans, where do you think would be most interesting to visit, out of all the locations?

If I drag someone along with me I can't really spend the whole week stalking an imaginary detective!

hi88ert Tue 09-Oct-12 14:40:12

just found all the dvd's on acorn media - www.acornmediauk.com/crime/inspector-montalbano-1.html - think i will be dropping some hints regarding christmas presents

definitely won't be getting a trip to italy so this could be the next best thing !!

MrsSalvoMontalbano Tue 09-Oct-12 14:22:42

oooh, Alameda, please do report back in great detail! grin

Alameda Tue 09-Oct-12 12:38:42

ahhhhh only about 20 days until I am in Sicily and on the trail of montalbano

although as I can hardly be bothered to watch a full episode will I actually visit any of those places?

My friends don't watch it either, so very glad to have this thread!

hi88ert Tue 09-Oct-12 10:37:43

I love this show and thought I was the only one until I saw this thread - nobody in work has even heard of it ?!

Thank god it's not just me !

I would love to go to Sicily, but if you can't go there, I can't recommend Abruzzo enough www.italia.it/en/discover-italy/abruzzo

It's another reason we love Montalbano, the scenery and people remind us of Abruzzo. I just love Italy full stop!

There was a poster on this thread who was in Sicily where Montalbano is filmed.

Bunbaker Mon 08-Oct-12 20:30:51

We are seriously thinking of booking a holiday in Sicily next year. OH and I love the scenery, old buildings and lack of traffic - I hope the last bit still applies.

Oh, and we love the programme too.

JumpJockey I agree, but that's the charm of it and whilst I like Salvo, DH is happy with all these slinky Italian women who throw themselves at him. The oddness in places (like Catarella) make us laugh and we are like you in that we feel compelled to eat pasta and drink wine/Prosecco when watching!

JumpJockey Mon 08-Oct-12 20:14:58

Oh and Torino is lovely, go up the mini railway to the Superga for fantastic views smile

JumpJockey Mon 08-Oct-12 20:13:07

Anyone think the new series is less gripping than the last one? We used to be able to watch a whole episode in one go, but now me and Dh have to pvr it and watch over a couple of nights and I usually fall asleep... blush not helped of course that we always eat pasta and drink red wine at the same time grin
Also Catarella seems to have become even more of a parody of himself. And how come Mimi and Beba's son went from being a baby to about 5 over the space of a couple of weeks?!

But man it is a beautiful place... Even the quarries have some kind of special charm!

How lovely. I have always wanted to go there. It's the place for chocolate in Italy, apparently. Hope you have a great time!

MrsSalvoMontalbano Mon 08-Oct-12 19:01:56

Only going to Turin for a coupla days...

I love the opening sequence and music too! It's got a wonky charm hasn't it!

Ooh lovely, where are you off to MrsSalvo? We're going to Abruzzo for Xmas.

MrsSalvoMontalbano Mon 08-Oct-12 17:41:43

My DH is also bemused. And I love the opening sequences and the music.Tried to buy on AMazon etc but not to be had. Am in Italy next weekend ( sadly not Sicily grin) so am going to see if I can get the soundtrack there. Would love to do the Montalbano trail - how about a mumsnet outing? grin

DH is bemused that I think Salvo is hot and that he has fans on here too!

GhouliaYelps Mon 08-Oct-12 16:40:36

I have loved this show for ages! The things I would do to him! blush

fussychica Mon 08-Oct-12 16:32:31

Alameda can I come with you? We record it and DH was quite put out when I went to run on the titles as he loves them & the music -so 50s/60s.
Raven me too though he's so not my usual type.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now