Montalbano

(75 Posts)
MrsGuyOfGisbourne Sat 25-Aug-12 15:52:48

Just seen the series is being repeated starting tonight on BBC4

MrsGuyOfGisbourne Fri 31-Aug-12 20:49:50

DC tidying DVDs (!!) found Montalbanos I bought from Amazon last year and forgot about 'Hey, look, mum's Italian things!' So was able to see the first episode 'il ladro di merendine' - the Snack Thief), and interesting that the acting was nowhere near as good as it has developed into in later episodes (indeed like many other series - cf Outnumbered) - and also Montalbano was then much more irascible, like the books, than he has become now. Livia also establihsed then as harridan, later watered down...

Frontpaw Fri 31-Aug-12 20:58:12

Hang on, I'm getting my coat!

Gigondas Sat 01-Sep-12 21:01:53

Quick now on bbc4

Frontpaw Sun 02-Sep-12 00:24:46

What the hell mish-mash was that?
What have they done to Catarella's voice?
Where's Livia?
Why so many scenic shots?
Schmalzy ending or whay?
Weeeeeird storyline.

Ooh, have not seen last night's episode yet, must watch today!

teejwood Mon 03-Sep-12 23:44:33

Oh me, me, I've been on a Montolbano thread before!!
Missed ep 1 as we were away but caught ep 2 and will watch ep 1 on iplayer later in the week.

Our local italian serves pasta with broccoli kind of like this which is vv simple but vv tasty - does that fit with the description in the book?

Frontpaw Tue 04-Sep-12 08:21:45

I am still sulking over last saturdays episode. Bah. Its like when Morse became Lewis and it seemed to just be pandering to the overseas audiences (twee upper class 'gels' and gents punting on the river eating cucumber sandwiches, whilst bumping each other off for the inheritance of Ghastly Manor...).

Gigondas Tue 04-Sep-12 08:23:05

I still enjoyed saturday but seemed there were 2 plots which ended up not being satisfactorily explored. But at least quarry had a nice view.

Frontpaw Tue 04-Sep-12 09:24:43

DH says at the beginning it said that it was a mix of plots. Quite annoying!

porcamiseria Tue 04-Sep-12 11:30:59

loved it, love a bt of sat night Sicily !

It is cheesy, but DH and I love it! It reminds us of some of the characters and places we know in Italy. I'm loving the scenic shots, it's escapist and gets me excited about when I will visit Italy next. The scene in the restaurant (in The Puppeteer) was fab - Salvo's friend announcing he is retiring and Salvo is annoyed about the restaurant closing, rather than happy for his friend.

gottasmile Tue 11-Sep-12 17:10:37

I just spent a week eating granita at one of the bars at Punta Secca! My dh spent all his childhood summers on Montalbano's beach and his parents still have a beach house a minute away from there. There's a great pizzeria overlooking the lovely beach.
At the back of the apartment, we saw tourists with suitcases coming out so we're thinking that they probably rent out rooms in the Montalbano apartment... might be worth looking into....

gottasmile how fab! I bet it was lovely.

MrsGuyOfGisbourne Tue 11-Sep-12 17:45:36

gottasmile - wow!!!!

MrsGuyOfGisbourne Sun 23-Sep-12 19:57:55

the heat of august!
They have grown into their parts and this one was a masterpiece.
The scene with him and Adriana in the sea...
And then when he saw how she had used him...
And Fazio saw thru thru the 'I shot him... scenario...
Desperately want to buy
a) Mimi's villa , and
b) the soundtrack, but Amazon say out of stock and don't know when it will be available...( Am I gonna have to fabricate a business trip to Italy to buy it...????)

MadgeHarvey Sun 23-Sep-12 21:48:56

Can I just urge and urge you all again to read the books! They are utterly fabulous and quite charming. I bloody love Montalbano and the guy who plays him - I so would! blush

MrsGuyOfGisbourne Mon 24-Sep-12 09:44:20

Me too Madge blush

CastielsTrenchcoat Wed 26-Sep-12 10:22:36

That villa was amazing! Montalbano, so would too Madge and MrsGuy! Pleased that watching is also helping me practise my Italian.

Alameda Fri 28-Sep-12 15:58:53

yay montalbano fans! I have been looking for you, perché not in vuole parlare italiano thread?

I wonder if I would like it so much if there was more italian drama on bbc, anyway, you can stay in his actual house now it has been turned into a b&b - will post link to montalbano trail

Alameda I am better at understanding Italian, but I sometimes get in a pickle when trying to speak it. My accent/pronunciation is ok, but it takes me a min or two to sort my grammar out!

MrsSalvoMontalbano Fri 28-Sep-12 18:06:58

My Italian is improving watching him the programme. And as I am nor a very good swimmer, thought I should re-watch a few times his technique grin

grin MrsSalvo

Alameda Sat 29-Sep-12 09:28:56

they are my best bits too, the swimming scenes and the wobbly titles at the start and the music

montalbano trail might do this at half term blush

RavenVonChaos Sat 29-Sep-12 09:38:53

I have a massive crush on him wink

I want dinner at 'Da Enzo'!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now