New Dr Who series

(79 Posts)
LetUsPrey Germany Sun 15-Jul-12 22:42:31

Not sure whether this is old news or not, but according to one of my nephews the new series of Dr Who starts six weeks as yesterday - 25th August.

I've just watched the teaser trailer too. Looks amazing!

TeamSledward Wed 02-Jan-13 11:01:37

Sorry, know this is an old thread, but has anyone been to the Dr Who Experience in Cardiff.
DH wants to take our dc and is tempted by the merchandise ticket where the kids get a t shirt and certificate but I'm a bit shock at £70 family ticket price.

JUbilympiX Mon 30-Jul-12 22:02:01

We don't have BT vision either! We have Freeview and that's it.

ChoccyJules Mon 30-Jul-12 21:10:52

Clearly having read the thread thus far I will be the only one with a bit of a crush on Rory, then.

Donna was the best modern companion.

Doctors-wise, it seems to fluctuate btwn which episode I am watching at the time, I can magic up a soft spot for any of them!

JUbilympiX Fri 27-Jul-12 19:13:55

Sadly we don't Cakebot, we're not even cabled up here, nor will ever be sad. It's Sky or nothing. For us that means nothing.

QuenelleOJersey2012 Fri 27-Jul-12 19:12:42

'If you have a Virgin box, series 1-4 is on the on demand service.'

Same with BT Vision atm too.

QuenelleOJersey2012 Fri 27-Jul-12 19:12:42

'If you have a Virgin box, series 1-4 is on the on demand service.'

Same with BT Vision atm too.

iklboo Fri 27-Jul-12 18:58:14

The Girl Who Waited was a beautiful episode.
River Song could buy me a drink in The Turning Tavern
Christopher Eccleston has touched my bum.

Cakebot Fri 27-Jul-12 18:49:10

If you have a Virgin box, series 1-4 is on the on demand service. Dunno how to get them if not.

Jux Fri 27-Jul-12 14:51:12

I missed all the Christopher Eccleston series. How do I get to see The Empty Child? Can't find it on the old interweb.

Cakebot Fri 27-Jul-12 11:27:08

I hated Doomsday! I thought it completely ruined Roses character and completely took away the impact of the first goodbye when Rose was trapped in the parallel universe. I don't think they should have brought her back, especially not to live out her days with a clone!

showtunesgirl Fri 27-Jul-12 10:47:40

I cried myself silly at Doomsday when they say goodbye on the beach.

LetUsPrey Germany Thu 26-Jul-12 18:37:43

I sobbed myself stupid during that episode.

Cakebot Thu 26-Jul-12 18:35:16

The dialogue at the end of that episode is electric. She really shows him who he is. I always remember the bit when she said John Smith was braver than him, because he chose to die to save others, presumably leaving unsaid that people died because the Doctor was trying not to die by becoming human

Rollergirl1 Thu 26-Jul-12 18:26:44

I 100% agree with Jux on River. I really wish they'd dispense with her character. I find both the story-line and AK equally irritating. I don't know if it's the character or the actress but I just find her utterly smug.

I also really like MS and Amy and think the chemistry between the two of them is electric. I always felt like Rory was a bit of a spare part, but I think that was the intention.

With regards to DT, once again I think he was meant to be the tortured one. It's while DT is in the role of the Doctor that he and the audience start to realise just how destructive his presence can sometimes be. There is a scene in the episode where he becomes the human John Smith and falls in love with the nurse, where he asks her to come with him and be his companion. She says no and then she asks him if anyone would have died if it hadn't been for him.

LetUsPrey Germany Thu 26-Jul-12 15:55:06

From the Doctor Who Tumblr saying there's no official start date yet. Meanies.

Christopher Ecclestone is my favourite Doctor too, and Donna definitely the best companion, although I have a soft spot for Rose- when she gets all chavvy and tough! Hate Martha, I missed most of that series cos she got on my wick that much.

As an aside, Christopher Ecclestone would be my choice for Jack Reacher, instead of shitty little Tom Cruise. I know it's not related, but hey ho!

Jux Wed 25-Jul-12 12:07:59

Maryz, you asked me who I would have chosen to play Riversong. Here's my top 3:

Juliet Stephenson
Caroline Harker
Susannah Doyle

JS is the actor of her generation, I think, and is probably too busy.
CH is not far behind (imo)

There are others but I have to try to remember what I saw them in and then look at cast lists, and then get images (crap with names I am).

Mrsjay Fri 20-Jul-12 23:18:02

has it <hides this from daughters> grin I think it is the touring one we went to see the other cardiff one you didnt need to book for it,

Ripeberry Fri 20-Jul-12 23:16:26

And the new 'Doctor Who Experience' just opened today in Cardiff Bay. Pity that you have to book tickets ahead and can't just turn up :-(

LetUsPrey Germany Fri 20-Jul-12 21:56:59

Quenelle - Donna was my favourite too!

See what you mean about the MS/Johnny Ball similarity. The way they move, the ?physicality (is that the right word?).

I like AK as River Song but confused isn't the word. However, I particularly liked it when she shot the fez smile!

showtunesgirl Fri 20-Jul-12 21:03:39

I heart Alex Kingston as River. Bring her back purlease!

Doomfinger Fri 20-Jul-12 20:39:33

Alex is obviously at least her third regeneration (Melody, Mels - I'm assuming their baby was not black and I think there was some reference to her choosing that regeneration - River) so we don't even know how old Meoldy/River is, she could easily be 100s of years old. Leaves a lot of room for back story!

Jux Fri 20-Jul-12 14:38:44

Somebody good, Maryz grin

Cakebot Fri 20-Jul-12 12:40:50

I do think they need to wrap up the River Song love story now though, even though I love her. I think they need to explain how a toddler in 1969 New York ended up in Leadworth, what happened to her after she escaped and what happened between her and the Doctor between the beginning of S5 after which presumably she was released from prison and her death in S4. It would be much easier to explain the Doctor's behaviour towards her if it wasn't for that stupid 'We meet in reverse order' nonsense. That's why I ignore it and just put it down to Moffatt painting himself into a corner that he can't now get out of and that they are just meeting in a jumbled up order.
( Yes, to Johnny Ball, now you mention it!)

Quenelle Fri 20-Jul-12 11:24:37

Maryz, I mentioned CE way back up there ^^ I loved him too.

Donna is my favourite companion. She was very 'normal', not very heroic or clever but so courageous in a moral sense. I hated the idea of Catherine Tate doing it at first but they created a brilliant character there.

I loved River Song when she first appeared in The Library (shock I always do scared face when I say that because those episodes scared the shit out of me). I am obviously biased towards positive older female characters being 43 myself. But they could have been much more subtle and clever about the way a love affair was conducted through different points in time. I think they ripped the arse cheeks out of that story in the end.

I may be showing my age here but does anyone else think the MS Dr is like a young (but also not young) Johnny Ball?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now