Dragons Den - pees me right off

(15 Posts)
carocaro Mon 29-Aug-11 13:54:49

Basically, unless you have a business that will make the Dragons hundreds of thousands of pounds/millions, they are not interested.

They then poo poo any business the view as 'lifestyle' ie: will make a decent living for the people involved, such as a couple of hundred thousand a year. A business that someone has set up from scratch and just needs a small leg up eg: 5-15,000 investment which they will get back.

The banks won't lend and I appreciate not all businessess are going to be great. BUT there seems to be a large gap in getting small business funded and going.

The G'ovt spout hot air about getting British business back on it's feet/up and running etc etc and people are willing but can't get small backing.

So there us a big gap between angel investors, business investors, Go'vt schemes but will only invest a minimum of £50,000 plus and those businessness that need a small loan to get started of say £5,000 plus.

All theses people ready willing and able but no one to help. A waste.

shineynewthings Tue 30-Aug-11 11:28:30

I agree. I haven't watched this series as I started watching one episode the other day and one of the dragons was clearly enjoying being rude to a couple standing in front of him who were obviously nervous and were struggling to remember all their figures. I think the programme is increasingly less about investing in small businesses and rewarding and encouraging entrepreneurship, and more about the dragons flaunting their egos and they come across as increasingly arrogant with each series as opposed to helpful.

I have seen the online version of the programme which features a couple of different investors who can invest up to £50,000 and suprisingly they aren't half as rude and usually have something constructive to say even if they don't invest.

I agree that there isn't enough help for very small business who only need small loans to get them of the ground and individuals who don't already have much if any capital. Yep, it really is all hot air when the government starts speaking about helping small businesses.

wannaBe Tue 30-Aug-11 11:32:58

but it's not a bottomless pit.

two 3rds of businesses fold within the first year, not always because of money bbut because of inability to make them work.

It's unfortunate if you can't get your business off the ground this year, but if not this year, then save the money and do it in the next couple of years, if the idea is a workable one then it will wait.

I don't see why people should be expected to blindly throw money at every business idea just because that person seems to think it will work.

carocaro Wed 31-Aug-11 17:23:37

Shiney - yes I agree, the latest series of DD has been unpleasant, lots of sneering and shaking of their heads. The Reggae Sauce man had no idea of his costs, profit and loss, future predictions etc, but they liked him so took a punt. Other have come into DD and know more and done more and have been treated like a court jester.

Wannabe - 'not throw cash blindly at evey business', obvisoulsy, but there is no where to go that is inbetween the two to even state your case for some sort of funding eg: a cap of £1 - £10,000 for any business to apply and meet the criteria. Big huge gap between banks and DD style investors. Such a negative defeatest attitude to say 2/3 of businesses fail as it is simply not true, George Osbone himself said so, but has done F all about it.

SESthebrave Wed 31-Aug-11 19:53:07

I can see why it might pee you off, OP. It's surely the concept of the programme itself that pees you off though. It would be great to have investors support small businesses struggling to get started but the Dragons aren't given that guide. It's their money and they invest it how they want.

DurhamDurham Wed 31-Aug-11 19:58:54

It's a tv show, if they were nice and supportive to everyone it would be v boring. I mean it's not exactly reality isn't it? Apparently over half the investment doesn't even happen after the period of 'Due Diligence' has taken place. The dragons often drop out/change their minds. I don't think their handshake on tv is binding grin

Ryoko Tue 06-Sep-11 10:46:04

Well duh OP, it's a show about investments, the dragons are not going to give money to someone because they like someones little shop, it's about investing in someone or something thats going to give them a high profit, they are millionaires they don't deal in small, go to a bank, campaign for local investment or go credit union or something, for small change for your idea, you think is great.

carocaro Tue 06-Sep-11 15:02:37

Well duh Ryoko, I do get the point of the programme and was adressingtheir sneery sometimes attitudes and making more of a general point of seed funding for new business, the thing the current UK G'ovt say will be the backbone on the country.

You totally miss the point. Duh. Did I say I had a little shop and required small change for it? No. I said

"So there is a big gap between angel investors, business investors, Go'vt schemes but will only invest a minimum of £50,000 plus and those businessness that need a small loan to get started of say £5,000 plus."

"not throw cash blindly at evey business', obvisoulsy, but there is no where to go that is inbetween the two to even state your case for some sort of funding eg: a cap of £1 - £10,000 for any business to apply and meet the criteria.

You sound so very postive and encouraging, you rich or a bank manager or just miserable? What would your advice be then, sit on your arse and do nothing?

MardyBra Tue 06-Sep-11 15:05:22

It's telly isn't it. And the primary purpose is entertainment. Half the businesses aren't on there for investment, but for the publicity anyway probably.

It's a bit like thinking The Apprentice is a business related programme.

higgle Thu 08-Sep-11 15:38:38

The business people who go into the den get loads of publicity for thier businesses and some of them seem to do really well despite not getting the investment they are looking for. So many of them seem to value their businesses at millions, have an arraogant attitude and an inability to put forward simple figures - hardly surprising they get short shrift!

GotABitTricky Sun 21-Feb-16 21:29:18

Was a Mum on show tonight with a great toy jumble sale franchise.

I missed start and missed name of business.

dottypotter Wed 24-Feb-16 16:44:25

Deborah meaden and peter jones should leave the panel now they have been on there for ages so greedy.

Let someone else have a go.

dottypotter Wed 24-Feb-16 16:45:35

also agree its good publicity for them. Do they get paid as well for going on there.

ImperialBlether Wed 24-Feb-16 22:12:14

But Deborah Meaden and Peter Jones are the ones that people want as investors! They have the most contacts.

dottypotter Thu 25-Feb-16 12:28:57

it dosent matter they have been on it too long, there are others that can help. Sheer greed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now