TinyD4ncer Mon 07-Feb-11 16:54:43

New thing on cebebies

says things along the lines of

'wagggwann'
'man thats dread'
'boooom ting'
and other things along them lines

I dont want my DD to talk this way

Do you think I should stop her watching it - or is watching one programme like this not really going to make a diffrence? as I feel abit strange and maybe OTT thinking 'I dont want my daughter watching that'

Advice please

midnightexpress Mon 07-Feb-11 16:56:03

I'd be more worried about my DC talking like the stupid characters in Waybuloo tbh.

headfairy Mon 07-Feb-11 16:56:56

I think you're being a bit ott. My ds doesn't speak with a Welsh accent despite watching far more Fireman Sam than a person really should.

Your dd may well repeat a few things from the show, but she'll forget them pretty quickly too.

ruddynorah Mon 07-Feb-11 16:57:49

It is one tiny programme in amongst a variety of things that influence your Dd. Does she not mix with people with different accents and sayings to her own/yours?

LadyBiscuit Mon 07-Feb-11 16:58:30

agree with midnightexpress

AnnaFalactic Mon 07-Feb-11 17:02:36

oh god, not another one angry

It's a bloody programme, are you going to stop your child watching any programmes containing anything other than a 'standard english accent', whatever that is anyway?

FFS

PaperView Mon 07-Feb-11 17:07:05

I can kind of see the OPs point. ALthough the thing that annoys me is not the sayings/words it's "Me wan go ...." It took AGES to get DS1 to say "I want to go to ..." instead of "Me want..."

TinyD4ncer Mon 07-Feb-11 17:14:16

The thing im moest worried about is her knowing/saying the words like
'rasta'
and going up to a child and saying the things i have said above, for instance waggwann to a child- my child is white and i feel if she was to say this to another child who was not white that it would be as her insulting the other child.

Suppose what im saying is if my white child walked up to your carribean/ black ect ect child and said this - what would you feel or nothing? as i wouldnt want to walk away with a black eye

TinyD4ncer Mon 07-Feb-11 17:16:07

p.s my child mixes with other children what ever the race although not often as shes still young and doesnt go to nursery/school

suzikettles Mon 07-Feb-11 17:17:05

Don't worry. Ds listens to more Southern English accents on tv than is probably good for him, but he still sounds Glaswegian.

HTH

headfairy Mon 07-Feb-11 17:17:40

I think it would have to be a very odd person to feel that a little girl was being racist if she quoted phrases from a widely seen programme on cbeebies to a black/Caribbean child.

AnnaFalactic Mon 07-Feb-11 17:20:15

I'd think it was funny, not offensive if a child came up to DD saying things like that, I'd assume they'd been watching Rastamouse on TV, or that they ad some Jamaican friends, or that their parent/s had actually spent some time educating their child on different cultures/races/dialects etc.

I am white as white can be, DD is half Jamaican btw

PaperView Mon 07-Feb-11 17:24:26

DS3 calls it pasta mouse. Just watch something else when it's on like we do wink

thornykate Mon 07-Feb-11 17:36:04

I remember a posh colleague at work complaining that someone wasn't speaking properly on the phone to her as they said aks instead of ask; her opinion was that they must be stupid or have a speech impediment. At least people can learn about another dialect through this programme.

can't imagine anyone blacking your eye over that tinydancer unless you know some really crazy parents!

Coolfonz Tue 17-Jan-12 17:04:02

I think everyone especially the Daily Mail should be terrified of Rastamouse. I grew up watching the Clangers and I can only communicate through a nose flute and squeaks. And you should meet my friend who was crazy about Sweep!!

Punkatheart Tue 17-Jan-12 17:23:49

I love Rastamouse - just as I love lots of different people and their cultures. TV should not be all BBC English. Good grief, there is an off button. Coolfonz - I am laughing at imagining a world full of Clanger people!

So, I've sat down and watched a good amount of Rasta Mouse in my time. Honestly, it affected me in no way whatsoever and my PFSB enjoyed watching it, too. I asked her if she had any multi-racial students in her class, and she says that she has one "Brown boy" who is 3 months older than her. He doesn't speak in a 'strange' accent and she doesn't speak to him that way either.

Not to criticise love, but you're being quite OTT.

And actually, the Tweenies had a problem where the fellow called Max actually impersonated Jimmy Saville. That's the sort of thing to be slightly more concerned about.

givemeaclue Thu 09-May-13 12:57:49

Zombie thread

ForsakenORIGIN Tue 22-Oct-13 08:32:35

Fucking moron....

BerstieSpotts Tue 22-Oct-13 08:40:22

"Rasta" isn't an offensive word confused

BerstieSpotts Tue 22-Oct-13 08:40:46

Oh blush Sorry. Didn't realise it was a zombie thread.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now