Octonauts

(90 Posts)
AlphaSchmalpha Sat 27-Nov-10 16:29:28

Anyone else's dcs love this?

ds is hooked on it but I love it too - the drawing and colours are lovely and I adore all the different accents for the creatures - French crustaceans / remipedes; Scouse walruses, Geordie lobsters, Welsh starfish. Fabulous.

jsgirl Sat 27-Nov-10 18:44:20

DS2 loves this too. We use iPlayer via the Wii. The other day he watched the same episode about five times in a row. We've got a few saved on Sky+ too.

Agree about the colours and designs. Have to say, though, I've heard the episodes more than actually watching them!

globalmouse Sat 27-Nov-10 18:46:26

I ds likes it too. its just a bit different to everything else on cbeebies, in a good way!

nomorecake Sat 27-Nov-10 18:48:32

we (I) love it too

"Octonauts to your stations, Barnacles,Kwazii, Peso..."

To the GUP-A...

Concordia Sat 27-Nov-10 18:49:16

DS loves it. we have all been given octonauts names. he is captain barnacles, in charge.
we have to press the octo alert every time we go down the stairs (or he does)
every day he asks, have we missed it?

dinkystinky Sat 27-Nov-10 18:50:50

DS1 is OBSESSED with it - he told me he wanted an octonaut base for xmas, only issue is that nowhere sells octonaut toys yet. He's going to have to put up with the books instead I guess.

I like the animation and its been amazing how much he's remembered about marine life...

pozzled Sat 27-Nov-10 18:51:34

DD loves it. We see the episodes over and over on i-player. DH quite enjoys it as well but I tend to blank out the children's tv in order to focus on MN

Panzee Sat 27-Nov-10 18:52:46

The music reminds me of Numberjacks for some reason. Is it the same people, does anyone know?

Meglet Sat 27-Nov-10 18:53:41

We are fans in this house smile.

Cathpot Sat 27-Nov-10 18:57:00

Can anyone explain the turnips?

JetSetWilly Sat 27-Nov-10 19:02:17

Another fan here who also has to press octo-alert etc DS also wears his hat over his eye like kwasii's eye patch ! Shame they haven't got the toys out in time for Xmas that would have been ideal for DS

We watch it on iplayer when we are having a lazy morning in bed. the stories are a little far fetched <ignores the fact that the octonauts are actually animals in diving suits> but there are only so many underwater disaster scenarios you can have.

JuanManuelFanjo Sat 27-Nov-10 19:20:45

DS is also obsessed with this and plays endless octonaught inspired imaginary games. I like it too.

Mouseface Sat 27-Nov-10 19:20:47

At the risk of having my flameproof nightie tested, I'm not a fan, nor is DS.

Bit old for him maybe? He's 18m.

JuanManuelFanjo Sat 27-Nov-10 19:23:21

octonaut blush I don't use TV as a babysitter, honest guv!

RobynLou Sat 27-Nov-10 19:27:15

DD LOVES the octonauts, I quite like it too smile

no merchandise in time for xmas, but there are books - they were around before the tv show -

www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_9?url=search-a lias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=octonauts&sprefix =octonauts

Ilythia Sat 27-Nov-10 19:30:24

DD's love it. I once got them united for once by calling him captain tentacles. They were Not Happy.

MayDayChild Sat 27-Nov-10 19:32:37

My DD loves it age 3 1/2
She calls it action naughts
She is now capable of choosing her own tv on iplayer using mouse! She always chooses this
Love the little boys pretending games lol, I've escaped this.

AlphaSchmalpha Sat 27-Nov-10 20:38:41

ah glad we have our own fan club here. ds tries very hard to make me be Peso or whoever but I invariably get it wrong and have to be told off by Captain Barnacles.

lol Bumperlicious at stories a bit far fetched - we're watching talking marine life and a crack squad akin to the SAS comprising a squid, a penguin, a dashund, a (Scottish) otter and a kitten all led by a polar bear. belief in the plots are not the consideration here! (can you tell we've been on the Octonauts website a lot recently!)

Alibabaandthe40nappies Sat 27-Nov-10 20:45:51

DS loves this too. He has called his cuddly penguin Peso, and we constantly have to pretend to be in the GUP-A setting off on adventures.

He had become a nightmare about nappy changes, but now it is 'Octonaut DS to the changing station' and off he trots! Genius grin

JetSetWilly Sat 27-Nov-10 21:13:38

I love this thread!!

We are doing exactly the same here getting told off for pressing the octo-alert incorrectly and I'm not allowed to be captain barnacles as I'm a girl! Wonder what it is that they love about it so much

Thanks for that link Robyn I'm def going to order some if those books

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Blatherskite Sat 27-Nov-10 21:38:09

DS (3.5) is obsessed too.

There is a type of fish called a guppy which is where GUP-A, GUP-B etc come from

Blatherskite Sat 27-Nov-10 21:43:10

Maybe it's ironic that the only one that is missing is the GUP-E?

AlphaSchmalpha Sat 27-Nov-10 21:53:10

oh no no no you have not been watching Octonauts as closely as me and ds! there is a GUP-E. It is a pedal powered frame and came out especially when all the other (diesel? hydro? petrol? hydrogen? powered) GUPs had been hijacked or something.

I wasn't watching that closely, honest, but we have probably had each episode 10+ times now. In fact my Sky+ Planner of recorded programmes reads

Octonauts
Octonauts
Octonauts
Octonauts
Any Human Heart
Octonauts
Octonauts
Mad Men
Octonauts
Octonauts
Octonauts
Fashion Police blush

Iwasthefourthwiseman Sat 27-Nov-10 22:32:26

Clearly I have not been watching it enough alpha as I could remember any of the animals grin

But then we are a Diego household here, dd is practically in love with him!

FortunateHamster Sat 27-Nov-10 22:41:35

I love Octonauts!

I became a fan of the artists (Meomi) years and years ago when I chose one of their drawings for an avatar on livejournal. Recently they did the little characters for the Vancouver Olympics. Then I bought the first Octonauts book (this is all way before my son was born), so I was very pleased to hear about the TV show. I'm not normally that into kids stuff but I just think it's very cute, well thought out, and just all-round ace design and characterisation.

I know I shouldn't let my four-month-old watch tv (ahem...), but once he was upset and watching Octonauts from his bouncer was the only thing that calmed him, so I've made sure to have a few recorded on the Sky+. I think the episodes are brilliant and can't wait until he's old enough to watch it properly.

May have already been mentioned but there's an Octonauts facebook page (sorry, skim reading) and I think Fisher Price is working on toys for next year. My husband and I will be buying them whether my son wants them or not...

FortunateHamster Sat 27-Nov-10 22:42:32

PS on the facebook page they often link to people's Octonauts creations so you might get inspiration there if you have kids who want the toys before they're out.

DirtyMartini Sat 27-Nov-10 22:43:22

There are good Octonauts colouring pages on the website to print out. I actually sat up late doing one myelf with ds's Pipsqueak markers the other night. DP was trying to read about football and kept having to divert to the octonauts website to check uniform colours for me, eg colour of Peso's hat etc. Was very relaxing (well, for me, not for dp)

DS has also recorded an Octo-alert noise onto baby dd's 'soothing' sound and light cot toy hmm

megcleary Sun 28-Nov-10 20:11:55

DD is 3 and adores it I have had to make her an eye patch, which is hard to get off her TBH.

nigglewiggle Sun 28-Nov-10 20:15:54

We love "Ottonauts" in this house. I'm Kwazee, DD1 is Captain Barnacles and DD2 is "Peso".

llareggub Sun 28-Nov-10 20:16:31

There are 2 other Octonaut fans in our house! I'm very pleased with it as we've had cbeebies on for 4 years so and I am very grateful for a bit of variety. My DS even loves it more than Grandpa In My Pocket.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Mon 29-Nov-10 10:35:50

Dirty - thank you for the tip about the colouring pages. Printed a couple for DS this morning and they kept him amused for a good 20 minutes although now he is carrying them around the house which is making for slow progress with jobs this morning..... grin

I've only seen it a couple of times. Do the two female characters ever get to go out in the submarine, or do they spend every episode hanging around the Octopod base?

SuePurblybiltByElves Mon 29-Nov-10 10:47:02

There is a Gup-E but it's crap grin Kwazee is not happy when he ends up with that one, oh no.
The books are ace, so funny, the only thing is that Dashi is called "sauci dog" which is confusing for them.

I am thinking of getting an Octonauts picture on my usb and seeing if one of those print-a-pic-on-a-mug places will make me an Octonauts mug for DD. Fisher Price are making toys but not quickly enough grin

tillywee Mon 29-Nov-10 14:50:20

DD is absoloutely obsessed with it...she watches it on the iplayer and on tv.

I have bought her some of the books for xmas...no doubt she will want the toys when they come out

cheeseytoastie Mon 29-Nov-10 15:03:01

Is it not the Gup-F that is pedal powered??! Not that we watch it every night, at least 3 episodes off Sky+. If you let them play on the PC try www.theoctonauts.com, it's brilliant!

SuePurblybiltByElves Mon 29-Nov-10 16:32:31

Actually, think you're right cheesey. DD informs me that Peso drives the Gup-E and he doesn't pedal. No legs I spose.

octofan Fri 03-Dec-10 14:30:08

My little boy thinks he is Kwazii and keeps making octoalert noises. The best site for toys looks like this one:
www.octonautstoys.com

herbgarden Fri 03-Dec-10 20:04:53

DS 4.5 loves this and DD nearly 2 yells
"NOCTANAUTS" when it comes on grin. Both are glued.

sethstarkaddersmum Fri 03-Dec-10 20:07:33

We have had a Peso penguin for years from Japanese SIL. Had no idea it was anything other than a random penguin then Octonauts came on and we were, like, 'hang on a minute, WE KNOW THAT PENGUIN!'

Habbibu Thu 30-Dec-10 13:06:59

Aha! Googling the theme tune for dd (4) who's been playing Octonauts imaginary games for days now, and found this thread. She adores it.

funtimefairyintinselledwincies Thu 30-Dec-10 19:57:11

Ds1 (4) is obsessed and so got one of the books for Christmas. However, he's a bit put out that Dashi (the dog) is called Sauci in the books. I now have to read 'Dashi' instead, which is a shame, as I MUCH prefer 'Sauci dog' grin!

By the way, a big thanks to whoever it was that flagged up the games website.

LeninInExcelsis Thu 30-Dec-10 19:59:26

Is there a games site? DS1 loves this programme, I wish there were a few on in a row though.

LeninInExcelsis Thu 30-Dec-10 20:01:14

Found it, thanks! Will there be a DVD out?

Carameli Thu 30-Dec-10 20:26:29

my 7yr old dd, 4yr old ds and 19mnth old ds2 all love it to bits, I daren't time dinner these day for between 4.50 and 5.10

acebaby Thu 30-Dec-10 20:40:09

Another Octo-household here. It is pretty much the only programme that ds1 (5.5) and ds2 (2.7) enjoy equally. I quite like it too smile

Habbibu Thu 30-Dec-10 20:45:26

Hard disk recording is your friend, Lenin. dd had an octo-binge yesterday morning.

It does seem to inspire imaginative play for dd in a way that nothing else she's watched has. I love the theme tune, except in my head in morphs into Hawaii Five-O (and then We'll Gather Lilacs, for Radio 4 fans).

Habbibu Thu 30-Dec-10 20:50:35

No sign of DVD - toys in 2011, apparently.

LeninInExcelsis Thu 30-Dec-10 21:04:20

Got a PVR Habbs but DS1 can't use all the buttons yet, despite my best efforts to show him.

Habbibu Thu 30-Dec-10 21:09:21

Ah, you're seeking the independent option, I see. We're still at the "switch it on and walk out" stage. I think I'll delete all the Wibbly Pigs. It'll be a bloodbath.

LeninInExcelsis Thu 30-Dec-10 21:12:06

I'm at his beck and call for rewind and fast forward. Have taught him pause.

LolaLadybird Thu 30-Dec-10 21:12:53

Both DC's love Octonauts - it is on series link on our Sky+. I find Octonauts are a big help when mealtimes are progressing slowly:

Me: (brandishing fork full of food) Who's going in the Octo-Hatch to get out of the storm?

Child chooses character

Me: sings theme tune whilst pushing food into said Octo-Hatch

Repeat as necessary (there are sufficient number of characters to make real progress with a bowl full of food)

tattycoram Thu 30-Dec-10 21:14:59

Ooooh octonaut games. We've only found the colouring in pages so far. DH and I have been searching - instead we've got DS a playmobil submarine for his birthday in a few weeks time

LeninInExcelsis Thu 30-Dec-10 21:17:37

Mine wanted the underwater world (reef thing) and that bloody great big whale on the right.

tattycoram Thu 30-Dec-10 21:19:31

DS got the whale for christmas, it was a great hit. He really wants that fiddly diver reef things but I resisted as I think all the pieces will be dispersed under the furniture even more quickly than with other playmobil sets

KeepCalmAndHaveAnotherMincePie Thu 30-Dec-10 21:21:56

DS (2.5) loves it - he calls it 'octopuses' smile.

Didn't know there were books out so will check them out, thanks.

Riddo Thu 30-Dec-10 21:23:30

My mindee (nearly 4) is obsessed with the Octonauts. It has inspired all sorts of imaginary games and junk models.

It is also the only thing that keeps him in one place long enough for me to cook the lunch!

ishmael Mon 10-Jan-11 10:42:48

hi, not a mum, a dad, with a marine biology degree. octonauts is absolutely epic. youngest son (2 1/2) is absolutely mad for it. eldest son (8 1/2) pretends not to like it, but is glued to it when it comes on (mind you, at that age they're glued to the news, antiques roadshow, darts, open university...).

anyway, other than the obvious flaws (crabs don't talk, there are no scouse walruses, polar bears would eat penguins if they could get the wrappers off) the science is actually spot on. youngest son can recognise animals on documentary programmes from having seen them on oggernorts, eldest son now understands symbiosis (although i had to explain the diffence between facultative and obligate symbiosis - come on chorion, get it together!) daughter (12) has an octonauts ringtone. wife has an octonauts headache.

i've been watching cbeebies (and, lately, cbbc)for about 11 years now, and this is far and away the best kids programme i've ever seen.

dobiegirl Tue 11-Jan-11 19:13:29

Hi my daughter is the same, she's just gone 4 and Octonauts mad. Bank Holiday Monday we had to go to the sealife centre at Blackpool to see if we could spot Captain Barnacles and his crew swimming round with the fishes and sharks, I spotted Dashi but unfortunately my little one missed seeing her before she flew off on another mission wink

I've got her the books and managed to get octonauts name plaques for thier bedroom doors reasonably cheap (21 month old loves them too)off ebay, but I can't find any other stuff.

It really is a good educational programme for little ones.

Thandeka Tue 11-Jan-11 19:41:30

sneaks on to confess that 11 month old doesnt like it but it stays on anyway as I love it.

"Shhh darling mummy is trying to watch cbeebies."

Chaotica Tue 11-Jan-11 20:45:24

We love octonauts (me and DP included). DD and DS are 3 and 4 and are learning loads.

Aren't the Vegimals weird though? I presume they're supposed to be some animal-plant hybrid.

Chaotica Tue 11-Jan-11 20:48:38

ishmael - interesting to hear a marine biologists take on it.

Chaotica Tue 11-Jan-11 20:49:21

oops <pedant alert>: marine biologist's take on it

LadyBiscuit Tue 11-Jan-11 20:55:22

Ooh I'm so pleased to find this thread - I DS loves Octonauts: Explore, Rescue, Protect!

We sing the theme tune together and have weeks of episodes recorded on the PVR (my list looks like Alpha's but without the Fashion Police wink)

He got the Imaginext sub for Xmas because it has a shark face on the front a bit like the Gup B.

Am so glad that it's biologically sound Ishmael - I had never heard of a blobfish but was amazed how similar they looked to the cartoon when I googled!

ishmael Wed 12-Jan-11 13:55:25

i can only vouch for the science on the tv series mind (and then only the ones i've seen. i've not seen all of them, honestly. really, i haven't...) - we've not got the books. judging by this one here then they're a bit lacking. it looks gorgeous, though.

tried the tip about calling the fork gup-a last night. almost worked. mouth wide open right til the last second. then a big dirty laugh as the mash goes all over the floor!

PigeonPie Wed 12-Jan-11 14:15:46

We're fans in this house too. Never had DH offering to turn on iPlayer before for DS1 (5) and DS2 (3). It's one of the first new programmes I can stand because it doesn't really dumb down (well apart from talking polar bears etc!)

Great programme with lots of imagination and well put together. Well done BBC!

minigoof Fri 14-Jan-11 13:37:39

Scouse walruses. Possibly a nod to 'I Am The Walrus', by popular Merseybeat combo 'The Beatles'. They're quite good.
Octonauts is brilliant!

MarniesMummy Fri 14-Jan-11 16:55:20

My DD 3, loves the Octonauts (or Octomals as she calls them).

She constantly bngs on about them. Her older sisters think it's OK too.

I think as shows go it's ok.
Better that thn Mighty Mites, Bits and Bobs or In the fecking Night Garden!

DirtyMartini Fri 14-Jan-11 22:07:20

DS (3) now calls DD (9 months) Tunip grin

FYI octonauts fans - i have seen on the octonauts facebook page that there will be fisher price toys in argos in july....

bumpybecky Thu 20-Jan-11 16:41:01

the facebook group is worth joining, there are some fantastic Octonauts cakes, models and home made toys that people have been making

angels3 Fri 21-Jan-11 18:43:29

We love it too - and its amazing what an interest it has sparked in our 5yo to find out a bit more about nature - he loves it and so do we!

I love it but DS is less keen and we hardly have cbeebies on these days, as he's obsessed with his Thomas dvds. hmm

But what about the radishes with cat faces?? confused I think I've seen similar little anime veggies in other Japanese contexts - is it just a 'thing'?

hannah001 Thu 26-May-11 14:10:40

My husband tells me the the radishes etc are the "vegimals" and that they are responsible for the cooking. We also wondered how well the polar bear, penguin and kitten would co-exist in the octopod.... But we have swept these minor worries under the carpet as DS loves it. I think the toys are available from 8th August (continuing with the them of 8/octo).

In the meantime - my son found these at playgroup this week

www.emutoys.com/products/MAGNETIC-FISHING-FUN.html

Which he was delighted by. he spent half an hour fishing out the octopus then running round playgroup showing any willing adult his catch!

sparkle1977 Thu 26-May-11 16:44:02

We love the Octonauts in our house too. It reminds me of "Agent Oso" on the Disney channel in terms of the theme tune and animation etc.

Tempted to get some of the books but really that would be for me rather than DS's who seem not bothered!

MigratingCoconuts Thu 26-May-11 20:48:11

more fans here. As a Biology teacher, I also think the science behind it is pretty good too. My 6 year old and 4 year old rate it higher than anything else and we have it sky+ ed too grin

MrsJamin Thu 26-May-11 21:06:56

Must. Resist. Buying. The. Magazine. Considering making up a reason DS1 has been good so I can buy him it. It has 4 cute figures included but it's £3.50 shock

southofthethames Sun 29-May-11 10:11:55

Am a bit ambivalent about the Magazine (or rather, the special edition of the Cbeebies magazine) with its 4 figures, probably because I had trouble finding it. One starts to feel a bit silly hunting it down when in reality it's just plastic figures and some puzzles and stuff that we already have in other magazines. Probably will get it if we come across it by chance but not otherwise. (shaking head at all the plastic and other tiny giveaway toys we have in the home already..) DS really only likes watching the animation on tv or having someone read the story to/with him.

southofthethames Sun 29-May-11 10:14:57

(MrsJamin - Lol!)....Migrating Coconuts - I agree, as a science grad am quite impressed at how they've used real sea creatures and put in accurate facts. Only problem now is that DS is very good at trivia about rare marine organisms but less so with common animals! Still, they are only preschool age....

MrsJamin Mon 30-May-11 13:51:54

I gave in and got it him as we're travelling in a few days and it will keep him occupied!

hannah001 Mon 06-Jun-11 12:37:19

we bought the mag too and my twins clutched on to the pages of the magazine for a whole week on holiday - thought they did argue about who got Paso & Barnacles and who got Dashi and Kwazi

diggingintheribs Tue 07-Jun-11 22:28:04

I am Captain Barnacles, DS is Kwazi (he likes pirates) and baby DD is Peso. Some dinosaurs are the vegimals

My question is - do they eat fish - or are they just fish shaped biscuits?

Because if they are eating fish I am not sure that they are fulfilling the 'protect' part of their remit

(I also thought the Cap was being a bit public school boy when saying Guppy - only later I realised he was saying Gup-A!!)

skyatnight Wed 08-Jun-11 13:21:22

Another fan here. It is one of the few programmes Dd (6) still watches on cbeebies. She was looking a bit 'moony' watching it the other day and told me that she likes Captain Barnacles because he looks after the others. I think she finds him quite 'masterful' as he is the leader. She also has a thing about Greg Wallace (? the one who likes puddings) off Masterchef. grin I like the Vegimals because they are weird.

Campaspe Wed 08-Jun-11 18:39:54

The books are quite good too. I like the one where shadows feel unappreciated and go back to live with their master, the King of Shade. Quite a spooky concept really.

CatPower Thu 09-Jun-11 12:59:10

skyatnight your post cracked me up re your DD's love for Greg Wallace. He really needs to learn to hold a spoon properly, though.

Hersetta Thu 09-Jun-11 17:12:09

DD (3.9) loves it - we have over 30 episodes on our sky+ system. I ofter hear her conversations in the bath

'
Captain barnacle to Quarsi, come in'
' Yes Captain'
'Quarsi, I need you to take the GUPPA our and search for a missing dolphin'

and on it goes....very amusing.

Was also really useful to prepare her for our recent holiday as she saw loads of things she had seen on the programme. We came back from the maldives 5 days ago and she saw baby sharks, moray eels, turtles, a pod of dolphins, a stingray, a starfish (or sea star as she calls them) and even a whale shark (only on a divers video) and spoke about them all quite knowledgeably for a 3 yr old without any fear.

carocaro Thu 09-Jun-11 19:48:10

My Mum painted a spectacular Octonaut mural and DS 2 aged 4 wall, if I coud post a pic I would, it's stunning, DS2 loves it, he kissses Peso every night before bed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now