What's happened to the lovely Kate Humble?

(42 Posts)
BoffinMum Thu 28-Oct-10 20:51:48

I am just watching Autumnwatch and I am looking at Kate Humble but not as we know her. She is all made up with a flowery top on and tamed hair, very self-consciously trying to present as normal.

I said to DH that she looked interefered with and he and my FIL both started sniggering and saying things like "I wish!" Now what can that mean? wink

I want the old Kate Humble back.

Meglet Thu 28-Oct-10 20:53:04

I think she's had her eyebrows done.

Or botox.

BoffinMum Thu 28-Oct-10 20:54:04

I was wondering about Botox actually

Lydwatt Thu 28-Oct-10 21:35:23

wow! You are right....much, much too much make up!!

BoffinMum Thu 28-Oct-10 21:39:26

C'mon people, what's your theory? Some kind of career re-launch?

SaorAlba Thu 28-Oct-10 21:41:09

Just put it on. She doesn't look so nice anymore. I always wanted to be friends with her, but not so much now.

Lydwatt Thu 28-Oct-10 21:41:47

she'll be hosting the lottery live! next....you wait!

SaorAlba Thu 28-Oct-10 21:45:13

www.facebook.com/pages/Kate-Humble/

Someone should ask on her Facebook. I don't have the guts!

BoffinMum Thu 28-Oct-10 21:47:45

What, with Bill Oddie? Will they tie his hair back and put slap on him as well, and stick him in front of Ball Set Number Three?

Lydwatt Thu 28-Oct-10 21:50:03

perfect! that must be it! grin

Lydwatt Thu 28-Oct-10 21:53:22

the 'poo' conversation on Autumn Unsprung just at the moment does seem to undermine the move towards glamour for Kate....

said Thu 28-Oct-10 22:01:37

shock Just turned over. Dramatically different and just looks weird. Chris Packham, on the other hand, has a picture in the attic

OonaghBhuna Thu 28-Oct-10 23:16:20

Is she preganant??????????? She looks really pregnant to me.

LynetteScavo Thu 28-Oct-10 23:17:49

I thought she looked different the other day...lipstick and neat hair. It was weird.

madamimadam Thu 28-Oct-10 23:17:55

I thought she was just relieved that Bill Oddie had gone...

candlebra Thu 28-Oct-10 23:18:00

her coat was horrific

BoffinMum Fri 29-Oct-10 07:17:47

Interesting about pg. She did have that look.

She is 42 almost exactly, I believe, so that would be a tough time to have your first. Particularly if most of your time is spent in the freezing cold discussing wee and poo in nature <pg boak>

LynetteScavo Fri 29-Oct-10 08:57:08

42? shock

I thought she was way younger than that!

Alibabaandthe40nappies Fri 29-Oct-10 09:04:15

She looks so weird! I think you might be onto something in thinking that she is pregnant.

BoffinMum Fri 29-Oct-10 09:23:02

She is roughly my age, looks like me (but a bit nicer), has been married about as long, but managed to snaffle herself a much more outdoorsy fun job than I have, so I am envious and admiring all at once.

But then again she did put up with Bill Oddie for ages when I would have stuffed a badger up his arse on air, most probably. For that alone, they should give the lovely Kate an MBE for services to nature or something.

Do you think they would get her on here for a live webchat? It would make a change from politicos.

BikeRunScream Fri 29-Oct-10 09:28:38

I always wanted to be Kate Humble - she looks like me but skinnier and with neater hair (even when it is untamed) and a bit older. I love all her jobs, specially loved her on the "Scientists on a dessert island" OU programme she did a few years ago.

BoffinMum Fri 29-Oct-10 09:35:03

I used to say bitchy things about her to DH but she won me over with her utter niceness.

PestoEatsPumpkinsandSurfers Fri 29-Oct-10 09:36:21

I thought she still looked lovely, just the wrong choice of make-up. Maybe it was s'posed to tie in with her coat. Twasn't as flattering as usual.

Still love her though smile

Lydwatt Fri 29-Oct-10 10:01:18

I think we all love her...that's why its such a shock!
Did anyone see her 'who do you think you are?' Her grandad was part of the real life great Escape!! Amazing stuff

I'll be looking out for the 'pregnant' look tonight....interesting theory

wishiwas21again Fri 29-Oct-10 13:12:00

I don't love her, I can't stand her

I just get the impression she would stab you in the back in a second if it helped her career.

Bill Oddie may have been annoying but he did actually know what he is talking about and lets not forget he had mental health problems as a result of a horrific childhood. Kate Humble is not a true nature expert, just someone who looks pretty and got lucky. Television shows us once again that looks and popularity win over true knowledge

A bit like Gaby Logan. At the last olympics there were hundreds of true sporting experts they could have interviewed, but she adorned the screen for excessive amounts of time because she is good looking.

It is misogynist as well and not at all empowering to women

Unprune Fri 29-Oct-10 13:14:43

Is there something going on between Kate and Chris Packham?
He's been on tv for about 25 years and I have never seen him flirt like that before.

rubyrubyruby Fri 29-Oct-10 13:16:58

I loved Bill Oddie!

.... it's boring now.

UnquietDad Fri 29-Oct-10 13:18:54

Damn, I loved her untamed look. She looked like the kind of girl who'd enjoy making filthy jokes while supping pints by a log fire in a country pub, and occasionally running a hand through her wild blonde hair. Has she been "made over"?

Unprune Fri 29-Oct-10 13:20:13

UQD how's that mid-life crisis working out for ya? grin

UnquietDad Fri 29-Oct-10 13:21:20

Very nicely, thanks

I've been saying to my Dp since the new series started I'm sure she's pregnant.

Thinks thats why the new look clothes, too.

NannyPatsSausagePlait Fri 29-Oct-10 13:21:53

I like her

ProfessorLaytonIsMyZombieSlave Fri 29-Oct-10 13:29:18

She has always said she and her husband don't want children.

She's done animal-related jobs before moving into TV, put in years as a researcher (including on natural history and science programmes) before getting a presenting role, spends a lot of time in Africa and has written articles about conservation.

But yes, she's clearly only there because she looks pretty and got lucky. Bill Oddie, in contrast, was presumably plucked from the massed ranks of keen birdwatchers and amateur ornithologists entirely at random and not at all because he used to be one of the Goodies. hmm

Unprune Fri 29-Oct-10 13:35:23

Her job is presenting (and live tv, at that), not actually 'being a naturalist'. You don't get that many naturalists who can also do tv. David Attenborough is an amateur, Steve Backshall is an amateur. They are presenters first, though.
I think it's a bit harsh if she is disliked for being a professional presenter.

MollieO Fri 29-Oct-10 13:40:20

Professor you sum it up perfectly grin.

ProfessorLaytonIsMyZombieSlave Fri 29-Oct-10 13:40:24

David Attenborough? Pshaw! Just eye-candy. If it weren't for the tight trousers he'd never have got anywhere...

Unprune Fri 29-Oct-10 13:42:17

Arf. You're right; I mean, he's nowhere near in the same league as KH. I take it back!

BoffinMum Fri 29-Oct-10 13:56:07

After a muddy time outside recently, I uttered the words, "I must look like a filthy Kate Humble" to DH and he sniggered then as well. I think he has a serious pash on the girl. wink

BoffinMum Fri 29-Oct-10 13:57:20

I think she's worked hard to become a presenter and is pretty good on TV tbh.

That's why I had to stop hating her.

Lydwatt Fri 29-Oct-10 14:17:32

funny wish...., I had never thought of Kate as some sort of bimbo that got lucky.hmm

I'd always thought of her as hardworking, appearing on a range of science programmes and speaking with knowledge about wildlife....

Earthymama Fri 29-Oct-10 15:46:14

I don't think you get to be President of the RSPB just by being pretty hmm

She is pretty but also passionate and articulate and funny.

We all have times when we don't look our best; after being told 3 times lately that I look really tired I have resorted to some foundation and blusher so that I don't scare the horses!! Maybe Ms Humble feels just like that.

domesticsluttery Tue 02-Nov-10 16:31:41

She has a new clothing range hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now