Term time holiday while at college

(10 Posts)
jetsetlil Tue 15-Nov-16 12:28:15

Hi. DS is 17 and in his second year at college. We have booked a long haul holiday just after xmas. It was the only date the whole family were available that worked with everyone's work , if that makes sense. Will I get fined? I've had a google around but can't get a difinative answer. I don't want to lie and pretend he is ill as some friends have suggested. It just doesn't sit right with me. Thanks in advance

Wolfiefan Tue 15-Nov-16 12:29:29

Speak to the college. I doubt they would fine but if he misses a lot he could lose his place I guess.

blackhairbrush Tue 15-Nov-16 12:31:21

Does he have mocks in January- if he does you are seriously disadvantaging him.

Thatwaslulu Tue 15-Nov-16 12:33:46

No you won't get fined. He's not of compulsory school age. I took my DS out of sixth form before half term for a week as my DH has limited times he can book holidays. If you explain that it's a holiday they won't kick him out either - it's only if you don't say anything and he doesn't show up that he may be classed as a truant and maybe get a warning.

Meadows76 Tue 15-Nov-16 12:40:47

No fine but it may be detrimental to his coursework

leonardthelemming Tue 15-Nov-16 13:21:55

You won't get fined. At 17 his education is his responsibility, not yours. And that means if he intends to miss college to go on holiday then he is the one who needs to talk to them (in advance).

Meadows76 Tue 15-Nov-16 13:30:51

You won't get fined. At 17 his education is his responsibility, not yours. And that means if he intends to miss college to go on holiday then he is the one who needs to talk to them. While I agree with this in theory, it Is the OP who is dictating the holiday, not the DS. He hasn't had a choice and responsibility has been taken out of his hands. But yes, it still has to be him to notify them of upcoming holidays.

PotteringAlong Tue 15-Nov-16 13:41:36

He's 17 - leave him at home. His education at this stage is more important than a holiday.

MyLlamasGoneBananas Tue 15-Nov-16 13:49:47

I'm doing a l3 course at college. Loads of people take term time holidays with no official issues.
However I will say make sure all other attendance is good cos if it drops beneath the college minimum % then there are warnings of being kicked off etc.
The worst bit 9f it is the work. The tutors won't rerun over anything missed generally. You'll be given the spec and maybe a 5 minute chat of what to do to catch up and then it's down to you.
My advice would be to get on top of all work now and drag yourself in even if I'll to keep attendance up.
Have a fab holiday

jetsetlil Tue 15-Nov-16 14:07:49

Hello. Thank you for all your replies. I will get him to speak to college next week. That gives them plenty of notice and of course he will be expected to catch up on any missed work. His attendance is exemplary so no issues there. Thanks again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now