How much dinner money is normal for teen

(32 Posts)
Babybel81 Wed 26-Oct-16 19:56:02

My DS is 14 and uses pre-pay card for school dinners. He's always needing it topping up and I worked out he gets through just over £4 a day/£80 a month. I looked at what he's been buying and he's getting two dinners a day e.g pizza slice or panini twice at lunch. He says they get one have a walk around then get another. I'm not convinced he's not buying for someone else but he says they all get two as the dinners are small. What do others spend on school dinners it seems a lot to me?

Lilaclily Wed 26-Oct-16 19:57:29

Ds 12 is allowed one dinner on a Friday, max £4 , rest of week is packed lunches we can't afford it everyday and he knows that and also says he wouldn't want to queue everyday anyway

ChocolateFace Wed 26-Oct-16 19:59:31

That's nothing for my DC. They easily get through £5 a day. Breakfast waffles, drinks, panini, round pizza hmm

They usually take pack lunch or it would cost me £75 pw as I have 3 DC

GreatPointIAgreeWithYouTotally Wed 26-Oct-16 20:00:29

£2-£2.50. If they want more they can take food from home.

Mirandawest Wed 26-Oct-16 20:01:26

My DS is 12 and spends between £2 and £4 a day on his lunch. Some days he eats loads, other days not so much.

iMatter Wed 26-Oct-16 20:03:36

I give ds1 (y7) £4 a day. I started off with £3 but apparently that's not enough. confused

QuiteLikely5 Wed 26-Oct-16 20:04:35

I give £3 per day. That's enough imo

Oblomov16 Wed 26-Oct-16 20:08:07

Our school suggest a £3 a day limit.

moonface1978 Wed 26-Oct-16 20:11:25

Glasgow school's lunches are £1.90. That gives a choice of hot meal/ sandwich/ baguette/ burger/ baked potato and all of these come with soup, bread, salad bar, fruit, yogurt and milk or water.

RaingodswithZippos Wed 26-Oct-16 20:14:27

My DS (16yo) gets about £15-20 per week, unless he decides to make his own, which he does from time to time..he often gets a meal deal from a supermarket or goes to the chip shop at lunch time.

OhFuds Wed 26-Oct-16 20:14:31

My 13yr old gets £2 a day, he doesn't eat school meals and goes to the local shop which offers meal deals.

dementedpixie Wed 26-Oct-16 20:24:42

Dd spends under £2 as she just gets a main and no pudding

Babybel81 Wed 26-Oct-16 22:45:55

Thanks that makes me feel better I thought surely not all parents can pay out at that rate. I'm going to limit to £3 a day and he'll have to take drinks and snacks from home

wineusuallyhelps Wed 26-Oct-16 22:48:56

It's £5 a week here. Enough for 2 days of school dinners. The rest of the time it's packed lunch. I'm not made of money and my lunch doesn't cost more than that, so why should his?!

Itrytoohard Wed 26-Oct-16 23:02:13

£10 a week when mine were in school.

ifonly4 Thu 27-Oct-16 10:55:50

I think that's fair enough giving him a limit but also letting him take some snacks from home.

I'm very lucky here, DD sits with a large group of approx 20 girls who all take packed lunches in. She prefers to take her own lunch as she doesn't want to spend ages queuing and miss out on their company. However, I do regularly make sure she's got £3 on her in case she forgets to take her lunch, as I know she can get more than enough with this.

SansasEscape Thu 27-Oct-16 11:18:32

Surely it depends on your school's prices?

corythatwas Thu 27-Oct-16 11:45:48

Ds got £3 at that age- school within easy walking distance and could make his way home for a snack after school. School dinners were certainly not enough to fill him up until supper time.

Now that he is at college he gets £4- but then he has a 90 minute commute, has to leave at 7 and doesn't get home until 5. And is absolutely ravenous.

girlandboy Thu 27-Oct-16 11:50:30

My DS eats at college 3 days a week (part time course!) and I give him £10 to cover that. He either gets food at college or they go out and he ends up buying a meal deal at Boots. If he spends more than £3.30 one day then he has to budget less for the other days.

haggisaggis Thu 27-Oct-16 11:58:27

I give each of them £ 10 on a Monday but generally have to top up on Fridays. dd sometimes eats at school but it is very busy - there is not enough space to accommodate all the kids at lunchtime - so she usually goes out and buys lunch from Tesco or Lidl. She usually sticks to between £2 and £3 per day. ds eats loads now (he's 16) and again usually goes to Tesco and occasionally Subway. He rarely eats in school. He probably spends more per day - had to top him up today rather than on Friday.

JustSpeakSense Thu 27-Oct-16 12:00:26

Our school has a limit on each day £3 (you can have the limit raised if your child needs more)
That gets them a snack (pizza slice, cookie, toast) at morning break and then a meal (chicken burger, panini, pasta, etc.) at lunch
(They don't buy drinks they have water)
They definitely aren't allowed to buy for friends in their cards it's strictly monitored.

LemonBreeland Thu 27-Oct-16 12:03:49

A meal deal at our school is £2.50. That gets you a Panini or hot meal with a drink. So DS1 gets enough to cover that. He usually goes to the High Street with his friends though, as the school canteen can't cope with the large numbers. A meal deal in the supermarkets is £3, but I still give him the standard school amount. He usually buys his food in creative ways to get more for his money. e.g. he buys a multipack of one thing and a friend gets something else.

normage Thu 27-Oct-16 12:05:12

I give my 14 year old DD three snacks, two bottles of water and £2 a day, which gets her a meal, with money left over. We couldn't afford more. I think school food is very overpriced.

JustDanceAddict Thu 27-Oct-16 17:36:35

Mine were spending upwards of £3. They now have packed lunch - a pain, but much cheaper.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 27-Oct-16 17:39:07

£2 a day is plenty and we only do that every now and again as he usually takes packed lunches.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now