Sexual consent - at what age...

(7 Posts)
DorothyL Tue 20-Sep-16 06:49:08

... would you think the decision to have sex is completely your child's own? I mean I know it always is their decision but when would you stop commenting?

Just watching Cold Feet last night and the 15 year old boy and the 16 year old girl have sex pretty quickly and the adults do comment on the speed of it but otherwise don't seem bothered at all. I could imagine myself being rather more bothered...

sleepachu Tue 20-Sep-16 06:52:09

16. But I wouldn't get angry about it at 15. That wouldn't end well imo.

DorothyL Tue 20-Sep-16 06:55:48

In the programme it was talked about as if was by no means the girl's first encounter (otherwise surely you'd discuss contraception etc)

lilydaisyrose Tue 20-Sep-16 06:55:58

Thanks for that spoiler!

DorothyL Tue 20-Sep-16 06:56:59

This happened last week already and is really not a major plot point, but sorry

Willywolly Tue 20-Sep-16 10:43:08

I wouldn't be commenting on anyone having sex anyway. I wouldn't be happy if my 14 year old DD was having sex but I certainly wouldn't be commenting on it. hmm

i have no idea what ages my other DD and 2 DSs, now 16, 18 and 19, started having sex.

Carlamomof3 Tue 20-Sep-16 12:20:37

I think it depends more on the maturity of the child than the age. With my daughters I knew it was a mutual decision by them and their boyfriends and both girls were on birth control. Although I wasn't happy when I found out I also was realistic enough to know that it was going to happen at some point.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now