Uni

(14 Posts)
Claramarion Sat 17-Sep-16 21:33:37

Just left my first born at uni feeling very Sad and whilst I understand she will have a wonderful time I'm gonna miss her so much.

She sobbed all day as well and informed me she wasn't ready and I'm sure it was just nerves but felt awful leaving her x

Told her she will have a wonderful time and to enjoy the experience.

toomanycatsonthebed Sat 17-Sep-16 22:19:21

Just left my DS. Sad too but also excited for him. My lovely fella said it is their wobbly fledgling flight...hard to watch but necessary and timely. Xx

Largemelons Sun 18-Sep-16 16:27:44

God I feel exactly the same. She's very upset too which hasn't helped and she's feeling lonely and a bit clueless.
I feel completely broken which is pathetic and has come as a huge shock as I thought I'd be fine.
I can't even bring myself to go into her room.

littlemissneela Sun 18-Sep-16 16:37:09

My ED had a failed start at uni last year, and left in Feb this. She has just gone on a different course, different uni in a more wheelchair friendly town, and I don't feel as bereft as I did last year. I was in bits when we left her last year, so I know exactly how you are feeling right now. I do miss her, and its awfully quiet at home, but it is time for her to do things for herself. I will see how things go this week with registration and meeting her new course mates. So far the only negative is the shower being utter rubbish!

fannyfanackapan Sun 18-Sep-16 16:37:45

I was in your position this time last year. DS1 in halls with no-one he knew. He'd been feeling quite anxious a few weeks before and moving in day was somewhat stressful. Flat share with 5 others he didn't know, strict rules at the halls with with regards to personalising rooms, halls in the middle of nowhere, I felt awful for him.

I sobbed my heart out on the way home feeling like I'd almost abandoned him.

I think I had around 6 phone calls in the following 24 hours from him worrying about all sorts of stuff!

It did take him a while to settle in but once he did he was loving it!!!

I'm lucky to get a phone call once a week now!

The change in him from being a homely lad to fully independent man has made me incredibly proud smile

Largemelons Sun 18-Sep-16 16:47:02

I'll be fine once she is. The hardest bit is knowing she's sad and scared sad
I just want to go and get her! (Not going to obvs)

hellsbells99 Sun 18-Sep-16 17:33:52

I dropped both my DDs off at different unis yesterday. DD1 had a failed start last year and has changed to a new uni & course. So far so good with her. DD2 has sent several texts today and is having a few wobbles. She is very much a home bird and has a few health issues, and I think a very late night hasn't helped.
Hopefully they will all settle over the next few weeks.

AndShesGone Sun 18-Sep-16 17:43:32

Mine has gone today. To avoid the sobbing and the fear we didn't go with her and let her drive herself and she took her ( lovely) boyfriend.

This really helped her to stay in 'adult' mode sad
But the huge hug between the 3 of us just before she left was completely silent, long, tears leaking out of dh/her/me.

It was the best hug ever.

JueR Sun 18-Sep-16 18:59:02

We dropped off my youngest son today & am very anxious about how he is going to cope. He is on the Autism Spectrum (aged 21) & although support will be provided (hopefully), he doesn't mix well. I am worried about him looking after himself. It took him this long to decide that he wanted to go to university &, although I know he has done the right thing, it doesn't make it any easier. The house is very quiet at the moment ........

Claramarion Sat 24-Sep-16 13:08:41

She's a week In now and seems to be a bit more settled she's coming home next weekend which worried me initially but I think she's missing her boyfriend loads

Seen loads of posts of her night out and looks like she's had an amazing time.

Spoke to her she's said her flat mates are canny and she's genuinely hung over. think things will settle more
Next week but for now I'm happy. Still having the odd cry missing her but happy she's enjoying the experience and she's actually communicating more with me than she did when she lived here. smile

HereIAm20 Sat 24-Sep-16 14:34:37

My DS keeps posting about freshers events and friending lots of new people on FB - mainly very pretty girls! So I guess he is settling in grin

kath6144 Sun 25-Sep-16 14:06:45

Op (& others) if you go onto the Higher education forum, there are threads specifically about leaving freshers at Uni, lots of people going throught this!

HormonalHeap Sun 25-Sep-16 22:11:43

Feeling a bit sad as dd put on her 'patient face' to say goodbye to me before running to all her friends. Although I'm glad she's happy, does the past 10 years mean nothing to her?sad

Claramarion Mon 26-Sep-16 08:47:41

My daughter wouldn't let me leave initially so be a little relieved but i do know how you feel my children used to just go into nursery and never look back whilst others would cry for there's Mam x used to break my heart but then it means you've done you're job and she's strong and independent.

Messages my daughter yesterday things are going well she's even financially planning something she would never have done at home x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now