Referred to Crisis Team at CAMHS - does anyone have any experience? I don't know what's going to happen next

(7 Posts)
ohnonotme Thu 15-Sep-16 10:06:58

We've been working with CAMHS for about six months now - ds is diagnosed with anxiety and low mood - he was on the cusp for medication, but he wanted to try it, so he's been on meds for about 1 month, Setraline 100mg.

He's 15 and following his latest risk assessment meeting, he's been referred to the Crisis team. I think that they are discussing him this morning and then he has to meet them every day until the crisis is over.

I guess the issue is that he and we don't really feel there is a specific crisis. I think his meds aren't working or are having a negative effect as it has been a bit of a rollercoaster week, but nothing very out of ordinary for a teenager boy IMHO. Plus he's gone back to school so that's added to the stress.

My questions are -
how does seeing the Crisis team every day work with going to school?
what are they trying to do which is different to the regular CAMHS team?
they are keen to come to the house to see him, but he is pretty adamant that they meet on neutral ground (which they've agreed to). Where should I choose?
how do you get off the crisis team, especiallyy if you don't think there's a particular crisis in the first place?

I've been impressed by CAMHS so far, but it seems that we've been accelerated quite deep into the system without really understanding why or what the implications are?

I will ask them all these questions later today as we have a meeting, but would love some first hand experiences of the Crisis team at CAMHS and how it practically worked/helped/didn't help?

I am a long time MNetter, so if you recognise this, would you mind not saying.

Thanks so much

giraffesCantReachTheirToes Thu 15-Sep-16 10:18:32

I wonder if there is something he has said that you don't know about?

Usually it is a huge struggle to get that level of support. If they feel it is necessary I would be inclined to go with it.

It might be something has triggered this but it may resolve fairly quickly.

Is he ok going to school in general? He can go to school around the meetings if he feels ok to do so. School will be fine. If he is really struggling then he won't be taking much in anyway.

giraffesCantReachTheirToes Thu 15-Sep-16 10:20:22

Is meeting in a guidance room at school an option?

Hope meeting goes well smile

ohnonotme Thu 15-Sep-16 10:28:01

Thanks giraffes. Yes, I think he did 'rank' himself quite highly on some of their questions, which he then tried to retract quite eloquently when I was there, I think when he realised he'd 'triggered' the next level. He's just so worried that it's all gone beyond what he can control.

School is 30 mins away - we are rural - but I guess school would have to agree to having them meet there.

Off to our meeting soon. My head is fit to bursting with all of this.

giraffesCantReachTheirToes Thu 15-Sep-16 10:49:49

Let us know how you get on today

Barksdale Thu 15-Sep-16 10:53:27

I was with the crisis team when I was younger. They'll meet him every day and mutually discuss winding it down at a time where his symptoms have reduced. If he has another crisis, he might see them again for a bit.

You've not really gone "deep into the system" as you say. It's just a temporary reactive measure because he's said something troubling and they want to keep him safe.

When I was his age, I often lied to protect my own parents, who were very fearful of me being labelled with a mental health problem.

It is possible that CAMHS is seeing something you can't, as you're too close to your son to be objective.

Better that they act over-cautiously than don't act at all.

ohnonotme Thu 15-Sep-16 14:40:00

We've had the meds review and the doctor has taken him off all meds, on the basis that they are not working. He has the option to take another variety, but he suggests a break in the meds for now.

They are going to review the therapy he receives and let us know.

The crisis team haven't been in contact - it all seems very low key after yesterdays drama.

They seem to leave a lot to ds, but when he says there's no problem and he doesn't want to engage with anyone, they say that's not an option. So until he starts engaging and stops being in denial, it's hard to know what to do. Just keep keeping him safe and wait?

Thanks for your response Barksdale. He says he's being honest with me, but also apologises as 'this must be so awful for you'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now